89 Ferry St
Newark, NJ 07105-1867

Ferry Street Barbecue

Neighborhoods: North Ironbound
Cuisine: Barbecue, Catering, Lunch

Ferry Street Barbecue is a Barbecue, Catering, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Good food. Bad management and custumer service. "
"Great food"
"The food is excellent"
Cons
"Owner has no customer service expereince at all. Very rude"
"The owner is a whack job"
Comments
"You can't eat inside the smoke is overwhelming"
  • 12/10/2015

A dining patron from West Orange, NJ tried it.

• 3/02/2015

A Barbecue chowhound from Newark, NJ tried it.

• 1/25/2015

A diner from Newark, NJ tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They liked the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
    Good food. Bad management and custumer service.
    Cons
    Owner has no customer service expereince at all. Very rude
  • 8/03/2014

A Barbecue chowhound from Newark, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 7/04/2014

A dining patron from Newark, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
    Great food
  • 6/13/2014

A diner from Ashburn, VA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
    The food is excellent
    Cons
    The owner is a whack job
    Comments
    You can't eat inside the smoke is overwhelming
  • 4/01/2014

A Barbecue food lover from Newark, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

TC photo

TC

Unfriendly and greasy

Food is OK but the owner and his staff have no customer ethics at all. The place is dirty and the owner is always on your case to empty the table so he can squeeze another customer, money greedy.
I personally prefer Elm st Barbeque, where the owner worked before he got this

victorias photo

victorias

New York, NY

Horrible Management and customer service

the food taste is not bad but the owner is very unprofessional and does not have any respect for clients; I had visited the place numerous time but for to take home not to seat and eat there, but in three occasion I invited some friends and family members to eat there and as soon we sat in one of the table the owner ask me to move to another table and usually to small space and uncomfortable for us and I ask why because there was not reason to ask us to move but what I don’t like was the way he ask us to move he was so rude in front of other client and I refuse to move and he ordered to the waitress not to serve any food to us, on the three occasions; why I came back?… because I want to proof to my self that his action were in fact discriminatory actions. I been there numerous time and I see people from other ethnicity different from my and my friends and family and he doesn’t say nothing to those people were they have to seat ; the worst situation was last night Nov 16 2010 my son beg me to buy food from there because he like it and I toll him I don’t want to come back to that place but I went there because my son when we arrive there the place was empty and we sat in one table and he did the same action as before by repeating so laud that everyone can hear on the restaurant “small table small table small table” this time I was really mad because my son he almost cried of impotence of to be witness of such of discriminatory and brutal action committed by this person I feel really mad and sad because I ask my self this person react like that to us, he don’t know us and why he treat us like that. am NYC resident who commute every day to NJ to work as District Manger for a income tax service firm and I know how important is for a client to be treat with respect and my son he is a 17 year old who is going to NYPD academy to be an auxiliary PO and later he want to be a NY PO and he is the kind of young men who like to help other and defend people from abusive situation and yesterday he was victim of one; after we left the place he told me mom “he don’t know how many people have die in this country Fighting against discrimination and this man don’t care about it and he does not have respect for people” have I Five witness of his racist action in addition he try to intimidate me by showing to me a lot of Police officer Business card from Newark Police Dept that he knows I don’t know what he mean by showing me those card but in this country we have right that protect citizen against people like him and am going to what ever to bring this to the community attention because I believe we are not the only one.

Ribs and rice

dineandwine photo

dineandwine

Cedar Grove, NJ

The Place is a Total Dump!!

If you’re concerned about your health, you need to eat elsewhere…don’t be fooled by the door crowd, it’s only because the place is extremely tiny…there are some very minor issues that my friends and I had with the place and they’re not in particular order;;
The owner is flat out nasty;
There are baby cockroaches crawling all over the interior brick walls;
Bathrooms are very disgusting,
Their soda bottles actually expired almost a year ago, and most important of all,
The salmon was rotten and smelly…
otherwise the place is great!!!
The only thing thought, the waitress was trying very hard to do the right thing, but she was pretty dumb!!
Never again!!!

1/2 salmon

MegTorny photo

MegTorny

Parlin, NJ

Awful people, tasteless food, filthy place

Immediately after walking into the Ferry St BBQ, the room filled with smoke. Their fume hood above the grill wasn’t big enough to catch it all, and many of the patrons were engulfed, my asthmatic father among them. Before they even had time to bring a bread basket to the table, we had to leave. I accidentally left my glasses on the table and 10 minutes later came back to get them. The owner had hidden them and refused to return them because he was angry that we left! I explained to him why we had to leave, and he still denied ever seeing them. It wasn’t until an angry encounter, a threat to call the cops, a call from my Portuguese uncle, and the entire dining area leaving that he admitted to have taken them and they were begrudgingly returned to me.

Do NOT do business with these people. They absolutely don’t deserve it. That is no way to run a business.

Dreena310899 photo

Dreena310899

Need better management

i ate more than 1 time in this resturant and its as most of the people say tough meat and even if you ask for well done they dont do it.

they manager or owner or whatever is he is unprofessional and drunk most of the time shouting to customers. i was there yesterday when 2 gentelmen came in and they wanted to set in 1 table and he refused and tell them to set where he wants……STRANGE
then he start shouting and he said he will call the COPS. i was waiting for my take away but then i left.

the smell at the back of the resturant is bad and the waitresses dont provide good service and they force you to pay tips.

the rice is tasteless and cold always. they do charge extra 1 time and when i ask them why the said its by mistake even though their checks are hand writing type.

the only good person is the young man who is grilling and the chicken is the best he does.

i know i made it long but i wish it helps

Lindacb1 photo

Lindacb1

Newark, NJ

Meats are all right, some have been tough....

Meats are all right, some have been tough. Rice is unseasoned. Elm Street Barbeque is better,much more tastier.

Ribs and rice

meat was tough and rice was tasteless.

Barbecue Good For Kids Catering
Mama's Pizza

Pizza in Central Business District

Jade Garden Chinese Food

Chinese in North Ironbound

Queen Pizza & Deli

Pizza in Central Business District

Ferry Street Barbecue  Restaurant Reviews

Ferry Street Barbecue is located near the cities of East Newark, Harrison, South Kearny, Kearny, and East Orange.
People found this by searching for: Ferry St. Bbq, Ferry Bbq, Ferry Street Bbq, Ferry Barbeque, Brassaria Newark Nj Ferry Street, Ferry Street Barbeque, Ferry Street Barbecue, and Ferry St Bbq Newark Nj.