386 Blanding Boulevard
Orange Park, FL 32073

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers

Cuisine: Steak Burger, American Traditional, Burgers

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers is a Steak Burger, American Traditional, and Burgers restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal and paid less than $10.

Pros
"The custard is amazing!"
  • 4/14/2017

P1nk16 tried it, liked it, and rated it . P1nk16 liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    The custard is amazing!
p1nk16 photo

p1nk16

Orange Park, FL

In & Out of the East Coast

It was a fundraiser for my daughter’s school, which is what led us to Freddy’s that night. And it was packed! Walking in, I felt the restaurant’s interior and menu were very reminiscent of In & Out, a restaurant we don’t have here on East Coast. You order at the counter and food comes out at another counter and custard from another area. Their kitchen is open enough that you can see the hustle and bustle back there. Their menu isn’t that diverse and it’s not a “hamburger” where you have a thick patty but a steakburger, where the meat is chopped up meat and the patties are thin after cooking. On their menu, they also have all beef Hot Dogs and I did notice a Grilled Chicken Sand which as well as Chicken Tenders, Onion Rings, and Fried Pickles.
For a burger, I chose the #6 which is a Bacon & Cheese Steakburger Double. I did ask for lettuce to be added, because I love lots of lettuce on most anything (burgers, subs, pitas) and I got the most pitiful looking lettuce and amount of lettuce ever. But whatever. I believe this particular burger comes with Mustard and I added Mayo and Freddy Sauce. My husband got the #6 Double Steakburger California Style, which came with Lettuce, Onions, Tomatoes, and Freddy Sauce. My daughter insisted we get the Chili Cheese Fries so I upcharged my fries to that. I wasn’t too impressed with the Chili, it tasted more canned than homemade. Truly, it tastes like the chili you’d get on your fries at most run-of-the-mill fast food places or even a baseball game or something. I would not label this a “signature” item. I would have been content with melted liquid cheese all over my fries though and perhaps next time I’ll do that! Their fries are the thin shoestring type which made a fork necessary, especially because I dip my chili cheese fries in ketchup. Am I weird?
Freddy’s Sauce is like Thousand Island (or Special Sauce from McD’s), there is a “Fry Sauce” where the food comes out and a “Spicy Fry Sauce” near the drink fountain (Pepsi Products + Dr. Pepper, including Diet.) I can’t really describe the Fry Sauce…but I got the spicy and enjoyed it. There is also a shaker of Fry Seasoning. Use it! Reminiscent to Old Bay or the Seasoning used at Zaxby’s…but better! I kept dumping it on the fries not covered by chili or cheese and eventually, just dumped it alllllll over my fries!
The custard! Back in 2004 a placed called Shakes was opening up in the parking lot of Woody’s BBQ (my first job), boasting custard. And at 16 years old, I was like “ew.” But quickly fell in love with their custard, but alas, Shakes closed a few years back. So to learn Freddy’s has CUSTARD and not like “milkshakes” like I thought!? Whooo hoooo! I got the vanilla custard adding strawberries and bananas, while my daughter and hubs got the Dirt ‘n Worms Sundae. We all ordered the “mini” size and it was still plenty, especially after eating dinner there. Delicious, thick, and creamy, it was just like the custard I had been craving all these years. The strawberries weren’t fresh but the frozen in sauce variety (still good) and I really wish there had been more bananas. Only a couple of thinly cut pieces on top. I mean I really wished there were more bananas to the point I thought about smuggling in my own banana next time, ha! Glad this place is out of the way and far enough from my usual route and home, because I could see myself turning into a diabetic 500 lb woman super quick.
There were quite a number of employees working that night, all high school to young adult age, and they were all pleasant, polite, and hardworking.
I was not expecting to fall in love with Freddy’s the way I did, but that custard won me over!

Bacon & Cheese Steakburger Double

I couldn’t put it down!

Steak Burger Custard Fries

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers  Restaurant Reviews

Freddy's Frozen Custard & Steakburgers is located near the cities of Bellair Meadowbrook Terrace, Lakeside, Mandarin, and Jacksonville Naval Air Station.