Girasole

Neighborhoods: Shadyside
Cuisine: Italian, Bistro, Vegan

Girasole is a Italian, Bistro, and Vegan restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 2/18/2017

A dining patron from Pittsburgh, PA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 9/22/2013

An Italian food lover from Pittsburgh, PA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pasta-mushroom-300x199

momar930 photo

momar930

Pittsburgh, PA

Tight squeeze, but SO GOOD!

This place is small. Not even just small—tiny. And a tad claustrophobic when full. But, all that was forgotten when the food arrived! I ordered the Crimini and Fontina Ravioli ( In a light cream sauce with prosciutto and tomatoes). This dish was wonderful—the filling was rich and meaty, but the sauce was such a great compliment that it was truly divine! My friend ordered the
Spinach & Ricotta Ravioli In a tomato cream sauce—that was also really tasty, too. The sauce was more “pink” in color, which is my preference. Another great dish, though, that I would definitely try again!!

Crimini and Fontina Ravioli

This was one of the best pasta dishes I have eaten—would go back again for this alone!

Nase photo

Nase

Cozy or Cramped

Some may call it cozy and others may call it cramped, but the close seating arrangements at Girasole are all part of the Italian atmosphere. Where it may lack in square footage, it makes up for in hospitality. The wait staff is dressed in classic black attire which fits the warm, intimate character of Girasole.
The wine list is generous and even includes a number of Italian spirits. The menu however, left me wishing for more options.
I selected the Pesce (fish) Special which was baked artic char, mashed potatoes with carrots, and sautéed spinach with pine nuts in olive oil.

Girasole is not for those on a budget diet. It’s not overly pricey but the bill can add up very quickly when you factor in wine, dessert, and tip.

I give it 4 menus.

Artic Char, Mashed Potatoes, Spinach at Girasole

Artic Char, Mashed Potatoes, Spinach

The fish was cooked perfectly. I didn’t expect shredded carrots and mashed potatoes to be so hearty, but they went very well with the char and spinach equally. I wish there had been a bit more seasoning overall. The flavors would have been greatly accentuated with additional herbs and seasonings. I found myself reaching for the salt more than I would have liked with this dish. A co-diner, who ordered the same dish, also remarked on its blandness.

kmb246 photo

kmb246

A Secret Treasure

There are no words to describe the delightful treat that is a dinner at Girasole. The atmosphere is intimate and friendly. The food is fresh and plentiful. It is a true hidden gem on a side street in Shady Side. It is located across from Starbucks down a short flight of stairs.

The menu varies by season and every night there is a meat, chicken and fish special. I almost never order off of the menu because the specials are always so wonderful.

You should start with the bruschetta and end with one of their homemade desserts.

texasmls photo

texasmls

Seasonal Plates

Girasole was a great trip. We got the true family experience with the son yelling “MA!!” at his mother. It was almost a scene from the Sopranos or The Godfather. The food was excellent in this truly packed place. The party across the aisle detracted from the experience a bit as they were so loud we could barely have a conversation without yelling. But after they left the tone calmed down and by the time our food arrived we were quite content.

Special

All of the dishes we had were outstanding. We had two types of pasta that had seasonal elements to them. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone wanting authentic italian food with a seasonal/local spin.

August 26, 2012

I have been an unsatisfied customer for years, but bit my tongue until my experience there last night. The host of the restaurant, the chef's father, yelled at my mother who has been a consistent customer, along with my father, for 20…
May 1, 2011

No negatives for us

Our family isn't able to get together much now since we are all juggling jobs, living in other states and just normal time constraints. The youngest family member was graduating from Pitt, and we all made an effort to meet for dinner to…
March 30, 2011

Quirky, but delicious

This is one of our favorite regular spots. We do try to steer clear of the busiest times - Girasole's only has 42 tables, and is popular, so waits can be long on Fri or Sat night. And Mr. Girasole is quirky, but the food is consistently…

Italian Shadyside Takeout
Tips
  • After the hearty meal, try the homemade vanilla gelato with semi-sweet chocolate chips.

Girasole  Restaurant Reviews

Girasole is located near the cities of Pgh, Downtown, Mount Washington, Strip District, and Mt Washington.
People found this by searching for: Girasole Shadyside, Girasole Shadyside Menu, Italian Restauarant In Shadyside Pa, Girasole Pittsburgh, Girasoles Restraunt Shadyside Pa, Shadyside Restaurants Italian, Italian Restaurants Shadyside Pa, and Has Anyone Tried Girasole In Shadyside Pa.