207 Banff Ave
Banff, AB T1L

Grizzly House Restaurant

Cuisine: Fondue

Grizzly House Restaurant is a Fondue restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

lolacola photo

lolacola

Fondue Fun

The Grizzly House in Banff is a funky fondue spot with a crazy history; it started off as a disco that used to serve food from the Chinese restaurant next door through a hole in the wall! When the Chinese food restaurant closed and the Grizzly had to serve food to maintain a valid liquor license, the owners brought their fondue pots from home. Almost thirty years later and the venerable restaurant is still around.

The interior of the place is rather hippy chic with crazy wood carvings and memorabilia every where, including pictures of the owners nudist friendly property in B.C. But the stained glass lamps circa 1970 leave the restaurant too dim. When my boyfriend and I arrived we were rudely ignored by the host, and when he finally acknowledged us we had to wait for our table even though we had a reservation. When the host walked us to the table, he set off briskly and we found it hard to keep up, as the restaurant was dark and we had never been there before. After unceremoniously dumping our menus off, he was gone. We got a little nervous, however our awesome waiter more than made up for the grouchy host.

My boyfriend and I chose to have the complete fondue dinner, which is four courses served to a minimum of two persons: I had the original fondue dinner with beef and chicken ($45.00) and my boyfriend had the hunter dinner ($55.00) with buffalo, wild boar and venison. The Grizzly house has an exotic fondue dinner option ($65.00) with frogs legs, ostrich, shark, alligator, buffalo and venison; we were a little to squeamish to go for that option.

The first course is your choice of soup or salad. My boyfriend had the chicken tortellini soup, which he proclaimed delicious, and I had the cesar salad that was mediocre. The second course is your choice of a swiss cheese or vegetable fondue (one per couple). Having never tried a cheese fondue we ordered it. It was delicious, the Kirsch and wine added an interesting tang to the melted blend of swiss and ememnthal cheeses. Served with cubes of french bread for dipping, this dish is very filling so we didn’t finish the generous portion to save room for dinner. We chose the hot rocks instead of the oil, as the healthier alternative. The waiter gave us very knowledgeable and informative instructions on how to use the hot rocks. Our meats arrived with a quad of dipping sauces: horseradish, teriyaki, onion and something I can’t recall the name of that was garlicky. The onion dip was terrible and bland, but the other dips were good. Cooking the food ourselves on the sizzling hot rocks was great fun. I would definitely come back and try it again.

The two things that people should know about this restaurant are (1) that you won’t be getting in without reservations and (2) if you plan on going out afterwards, leave time to go back to the hotel and change and freshen up. All the smoke from people cooking right on there tables and the lack of ventilation leaves you smelling like a smokehouse. Having been in the Grizzly House for about 2 hours we did not notice how we smelled and were told by a bartender at a local watering hole. Embarrassing aftermath but a fun and tasty dinner.

twistedchinaman photo

twistedchinaman

Calgary, AB

Never thought fondue and hot rock cooking...

Never thought fondue and hot rock cooking could ever be so good! The onion soup truly lives up to its name, and the fondues were wonderful. Hot rock cooking was also fantastic — lobster is indeed better grilled on rock rather than dunked in oil…

Eaglealan photo

Eaglealan

Mission Viejo, CA

Lovin Fondues

We give these comments to travelers and management. First, we need to mention that we travel frequently to high-end quality resorts and restaurants, and usually do research before we travel to new places. Moreover this was not our honeymoon, we have been married 41 years and gone to many places, so this is a fair and balanced assessment.

I know that the Grizzly House has had both positive and negative reviews. Yet, we would like all who read this review to forget about the negative ones. My wife and I had a wonderful time there, the atmosphere was like a cozy lodge, the service was great and the food was as expected in a fondue house. Yes, we consider this a terrific place for fondues (if you haven’t ever had them before). Some may visit the restaurant for other dishes like steak, but that’s not why you eat at Grizzlys, it’s the fondues. And the service? Well, we had just finished snowmobiling (my first time – three hours) and a long ride 2 ½ hour car ride in the snow back from Toby Creek BC. I was a little on the edgy side to say the least, yet the waiter was thoughtful and calmed me down by allowing us plenty of time to chose our dinner. Then he was polite and helpful as we shared experiences over the menu.

So as in many good restaurant, the food was very good, the atmosphere was terrific, yet it was the service that made the experience.

One suggestion: Take the word “hedionist” off the website and menu, the word “For Friends and Lovers” would be much better. Some may avoid the restaurant because of that term.

Four Course Fondue

Excellent and fun. We ordered drinks, house salad, cheese fondue, then the beef and chicken fondue, and desert. All was delicious!

bpoirier photo

bpoirier

Calgary, AB

bring a change of clothes and maybe some drawstring pants

My hubby and I went here on our romantic vacay to Banff… it was sooo great we go there every time we are in Banff! It is super stinky in the restaurant and you won’t be able to stay long without it clinging to your clothes… and your hair… YUCK!!!
BUT the food is fantabulous I always get the hot stone… i just like it better…. but they have the traditional oil fondue as well!!!
I recommend you get the 3 course dinner… it is super filling… but so so good…
The veggie appetizer is by far my fave (it is VERY garlic (ey) and rich with butter).. i just don’t like the cheese and bread…
Side note… make use of the telephones… call a random table just to say HI… might make a new friend :)

three course dinner

So filling… and it’s fun to eat :)
the sauces are incredible…

Fondue Groups Liquor Served
bpoirier

Grizzly House Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Fondue Restaurant Banff, Fondue Place In Banff, Grizzly Fondue Banff, Grizzly House Fondue, Grizzly House Menu, Grizzly House Restaurant Banff Dinner Menu, and Grizzly House Banff Menu.