Ho Ho Gourmet

Cuisine: Asian, Catering, Lunch

Pros
"Great food love it"
  • 2/06/2015

An Asian chowhound from Dallas, TX tried it.

• 9/19/2014

An Asian chowhound from Chicago, IL tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Great food love it
  • 4/23/2014

• 3/14/2014

An Asian food lover from Chicago, IL tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

StPaulEater photo

StPaulEater

St Paul, MN

What a Disaster (June '09)!

We, a Chinese-American family from a suburb of St. Paul, had a most unforgettable (in a bad way!) dinner at Ho Ho on Father’s Day (June 21, 2009). It was a family meal for 24 in three tables, reserved a week in advance. At the designated time, our entire party arrived and immediately we ordered from the menu at the waitresses’ urging, because allegedly, the chef was leaving at 8, in half an hour sharp! (The restaurant closed at 9.)

Within 10 minutes, the chef pushed all dishes out at once. They tasted as if they were reheated left-overs from a lunch-buffet table.

Following are specific comments on the ordered dishes (all nos. from Ho Ho’s menu):

1. Salt baked squid (heavily breaded, oily, reminds me of frozen TV dinners)
  1. Black bean chicken (A dish prepared in typical Midwestern American style, while I expected it done in Chinese style, deboned and not much black beans, garlic or red peppers)
  1. Hong Kong beef (dry, fatty beef strips, deep-fried days in advance)
  1. Beef stew in hot pot (totally overwhelmed by salt)
  1. Salt baked American spare ribs (dry, fatty pok strips, also deep-fried days in advance—I thought we ordered RIBS!)
  1. Stir-fry seafood combo (tiny shrimps, lots of squids, no scallops)
  1. Szechuan eggplant (floating in oil, but it’s the only eatable dish because it sits well on a steam-table for hours!)
  1. Stir-fry shrimp (tiny shrimps swimming in oil, no favors at all other than being salty)
  1. Pork pan-fried noodles (extremely salty pork strips mixed with gluey corn-starch)

For more than 12 years, we’ve had decent experience dining at Ho Ho. We’d considered them one of the most authentic Chinese restaurants in town, serving nothing fancy but a home-cook meal. (Their Paypa tofu (#201) used to be their signature dish, but it had so disappointed us 2-3 times that I gave up on it this time.) Henceforth, I vow that I would never return, ever period!

To add insult on injury, a service charge of 18% was added to the tab. The service at Ho Ho is certainly nothing to write home about!

When I mentioned that overall, the food was too salty, the hostess’s response or advice, rather, was: “Next time, you should ask for less salt!” There ain’t no “next-time” for me, pal! And I say it with no malice.

July 6, 2009

What a Disaster (June 2009)!

We, a Chinese-American family from a suburb of St. Paul, had a most unforgettable (in a bad way!) dinner at HoHo on Father's Day (June 21, 2009). It was a family meal for 24 in three tables, reserved a week in advance. At the designated…
June 26, 2009

The BEST

I lived in Minneapolis for many years. My Husband first introduced me to Ho Ho and I have loved it every since! These days, we live in Atlanta; however, every time when we are in The Twin Cities - we stop by Ho Ho. The food is always…

Perkins Family Restaurants

American in Battle Creek

6/24/2017

An American food lover from US tried Dairyette Drive In, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

6/23/2017

A Pizza chowhound from Minneapolis, MN tried Pizza Man He Delivers.

6/23/2017

A diner from Saint Paul, MN tried Angelo's Pizza.

6/22/2017

A dining patron from Minneapolis, MN tried Dairy Queen, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

6/17/2017

A dining patron from Mesa, AZ tried Dickey's Barbecue Pit.

6/16/2017

A diner from Minneapolis, MN tried Jj Fish & Chicken.

6/11/2017

A dining patron from Cookeville, TN tried Village Pizza.

6/08/2017

A diner from Minneapolis, MN tried Pizza Man He Delivers.

6/06/2017

A dining patron from Stillwater, MN tried Village Pizza.

6/06/2017

A Dim Sum food lover from Minneapolis, MN tried China Bistro Red Ginger in Arden Hills - Shoreview.

Asian Parking Catering

Ho Ho Gourmet  Restaurant Reviews

Ho Ho Gourmet is located near the cities of Saint Paul, West St Paul, West Saint Paul, and Lilydale.
People found this by searching for: Ho Ho Gourmet St. Paul, Hoho Gourmet Menu, Hoho On Ruth St, Ho Ho Gourmet St Paul Mn, Ho Ho Gourmet Mn, Ho Ho Gourmet, Ho Ho Gourmet Menu, and Hoho Gourmet.