5010 Newport Ave
San Diego, CA 92107-3010

Hodads Restaurant

Neighborhoods: Ocean Beach
Cuisine: Hamburgers, Seafood, Sandwiches

Hodads Restaurant is a Hamburgers, Seafood, and Sandwiches restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Onion rings"
"bergers, big servings, funky atmosphere, history"
Cons
"Great service & food. Nothing to improve"
"only one: on our second visit the music was so loud we couldn't hear/talk"
Comments
"Filling portions. They don't skimp on the food"
"keep on pitchin' the bergers"
  • 5/07/2015

A Hamburgers chowhound from Los Angeles, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Onion rings
    Cons
    Great service & food. Nothing to improve
    Comments
    Filling portions. They don't skimp on the food
  • 4/28/2015

A dining patron from Los Angeles, CA tried it.

• 4/04/2015

A Hamburgers food lover from Los Angeles, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 1/02/2015

A diner from San Jose, CA tried it.

• 7/14/2014

A diner from San Jose, CA tried it.

• 5/11/2014

A dining patron from San Jose, CA tried it and liked it. They liked the food.

• 4/07/2014

• 11/21/2013

A Hamburgers food lover from Fox River Grove, IL tried it.

• 9/08/2013

A diner from Comox, BC tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
    bergers, big servings, funky atmosphere, history
    Cons
    only one: on our second visit the music was so loud we couldn't hear/talk
    Comments
    keep on pitchin' the bergers
  • 9/01/2013

A diner from San Diego, CA tried it.

Sandwich-300x200

They also serve the Veggie Folk

Hodad’s menu also boasts a veggie burger that ranks among the best I’ve ever had.
The staff may playfully ridicule you for ordering something meatless but that’s part of the Hodad charm.
If you have to wait for a table you can keep busy by reading the hundreds (?) of vanity license plates on the walls.

Veggie Burger

Messy and Delicious

ghh1980 photo

ghh1980

San Diego, CA

Largest Burger EVER

BRING YOUR APPETITE!! These burgers are GINORMOUS!!

Double Cheeseburger

Hodad’s has probably the biggest burgers in San Diego. Definitely bring your appetite when you come here because they don’t mess around. Quality is excellent, but I was more amazed at the size of their double burger…oh and great malt shakes as well.

turtley photo

turtley

Irvine, CA

Burgers.......with a heaping of ridiculousness

Wandering around Ocean Beach, we were trying to decide where to eat when we came upon Hodad’s. I remembered reading something about it on Menuism (and a friend on Citysearch…boo!); we decided to dine at this loud and lively place. You seat yourselves, or you can be lazy and wait for someone to tell you where to sit. The atmosphere is… awesome: license plates from everywhere fill up the walls, often with amusing names; there is a car with a table inside it; a wooden bicycle; a baby doll in a wetsuit; and just cool decor. Rock music brings an energetic feel to the place, but it doesn’t seem to overpower your ability to hold a conversation. The service is also super good; our server offered samples of their 3 microdraft beers to my friends, the food came out quickly, and it was just very good.

Anyways, to the food. My friends absolutely loved their microdraft dark beer. I got a strawberry malt which completely obliterated me; it was wayyy to big. The burgers, though, compete among the best. Greasy, large, and oh so tasty. Beats out In n Out and other burger joints in my opinion. You can get them with bacon, veggy patty, or no patty at all (called the Unburger). Be sure to get it with fries, they are very good! The dark beer also apparently goes well with the burgers.

Bottom line: Great atmosphere and service, Great food.

Single Bacon Cheeseburger Basket at Hodads Restaurant

Single Bacon Cheeseburger Basket

Huge burger. Tasty. If you know whats good for you, you’ll get fries to go with your greasy burger.

Menuism user about to tackle a very large and messy Strawberry Malt - Strawberry Malt at Hodads Restaurant

Strawberry Malt

I only managed to eat/drink half of this before I felt like exploding.

mamamia photo

mamamia

Lakewood, CA

YEs- it is worth the 2 hour drive!

SO we plan our weekends around food and this stop is 2 hours away. I am a burger QUEEN and I say this is amongst the BEST ever. Only thing I would change is the shredded lettuce but leave it off. Everything tastes like QUALITY here.
I am not a fan of the fries but the burgers and shakes cannot be BEAT!

Single Bacon Cheeseburger Basket at Hodads Restaurant

Single Bacon Cheeseburger Basket

Yes, you are in heaven after eating this-you wil be so stuffed so PACE!

Fries are medium sized wedges seasoned to...

Fries are medium sized wedges seasoned to perfection. Shakes are made with real ice-cream and topped with real icecream! The burgers come in a variety of sizes and are tasty, but not necessarily the best thing about this place. I love the fries and shakes and the restaurant is small but has a fun atmosphere!

scout1222 photo

scout1222

San Diego, CA

Best burger in town

If my husband and I want a hamburger, no question we’re heading to Hodad’s.

I order the veggie burger (and yep, I’ve gotten razzed about it, but hey, it’s not like I’m the only one in OB who isn’t eating meat, right?) and my husband gets the hamburger. We settle in with a basket of their fries and some ranch to dip them in. Throw in a Red Trolley (served in a mason jar) and we are happy as clams. Just make sure we have a ton of napkins – we’re gonna need them!

Fun place to go, though you might end up waiting. The vibe is purely OB.

Veggie Burger

One of the better veggie patties I’ve tried around town. It’s messy and good.

Hamburgers Delivery Seafood

Kansas City, MO

waterboiling

Tustin, CA

Hodads Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

Hodads Restaurant is located near the cities of San Diego County, Hillcrest, Coronado, and Old Town San Diego.
People found this by searching for: Hodads Restaurant, Ho Dads, Hodads San Diego Menu, Hodads San Diego, Hodads Menu Ocean Beach, Hodads Menu, Hodad's Menu, Hodad's San Diego Menu, and Hodads.