Hot Chocolate

Neighborhoods: Wicker Park
Cuisine: Chocolate, Desserts, Local

Hot Chocolate is a Chocolate, Desserts, and Local restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

tulips500 photo

tulips500

expensive desserts

i came here w/a group of friends for some late-nite sweet tooth indulgence in bucktown. the decor is minimalist modern, very trendy, and dimly lit w/overtones of chocolate browns & oranges — definitely puts you in the mood for anything & everything chocolate.

we had to wait some time for a table to open up (unbelievably crowded), but this small dessert destination accommodated our large party of 5.
there was a nice mix of groups our size, and couples-on-a-date sharing an intimate dessert.
most everyone here was dressed-to-impress.

as for the food…although tasty, wasn’t wowing, especially given the prices. you’re most certainly paying a premium for the fancy-shmancy dessert presentation & style, and trendy ambience.

i only came for dessert, but i’m told they also serve regular entree dishes.

warm brioche donuts

tasty, but small serving size

webgrl01 photo

webgrl01

Hot Brunch at Hot Chocolate

I recently had the pleasure of finally dining at Mindy Segal’s acclaimed restaurant Hot Chocolate. I didn’t go for dinner or the late night bar scene, instead I went for there Saturday afternoon brunch after an intense workout.

There was lots of yummy choices to opt for, but I chose to do the Lox and Bagel plate and my partner chose the Market Scramble.

We both ordered coffee, which was nice and tasty and came in individual french press carafes. Other drinks that seemed to be popular that morning were the Grey Goose Bloody Mary, as well a mimosa made with Champagne and Pear Liqueur in lieu of orange juice.

The place was plenty crowed with friends catching up on a Saturday afternoon and the atmosphere was loud but you could still hear your dining companion at a decent level. We had to wait about 1/2 and hour to be seated, but looking at the various beautiful people surrounding us, and having nice conversation of our own and checking out the interesting wall artwork, the time passed rather quickly.

The brunch is served Saturday and Sunday from 10 A.M – 2 P.M. I highly recommend trying the selections, but stay away from the Hot Chocolate drink, as I was told by my partner who had dined there in the past, it wasn’t very good or very “hot”.

Lox and Bagel Plate

The Lox plate came with about 5 pieces of thinly sliced and perfectly cured Lox, thin slices of cucumber and tomatoes. But the one item that peaked my curiosity was the “noodle pudding”. When I saw it on the menu, I was expecting a wet, gelatinous mess, but was instead pleasingly surprised by a square of noodles held together with a flavorful vanilla custard.

Market Scramble

The Market scramble was a huge platter of about 4 eggs, scrambled with seasonal veggies, mozzarella cheese, and the crispiest home style red potatoes I’ve ever tasted. While the vegetables in the scramble and the accompanying potatoes were cooked to perfection, I felt that the eggs were a tad bit on the rubbery side and didn’t have enough seasoning.

jinkwell photo

jinkwell

Hot Chocolate for Winer

So, I’m a bit promiscuous when it comes to dining out. I’ll have a one night stand with a restaurant and never look back. Yeah, it’s rude, even a bit cruel, but there are other hot, new places to check out. There are some places I’ll come crawling back to, like a pathetic druggie looking for another hit. And it looks like hotchocolate is one of those places.

Our server was gracious the entire night, prompt with service and friendly the whole time. Her recommendations were spot on and the kitchen was on target because everything came out fan-freakin’-tastic.

The sweet potato soup was sweet and savory, perfect against the backdrop of cold weather. It was buttery, silky smooth with hints of smokiness and swirls of molasses for sweetness. And sweet potato gnocchi with pork cheeks was awesome. Pork cheeks were so flavorful and tender, pairing wonderfully with the al dente gnocchi; the sharp goat cheese added a nice edge to the dish.

But the real highlight was the dessert. Banana bread pudding with a milk chocolate center topped off with stout foam. Um…yummy!!! It was still hot, and the chocolate was so gooey. Definitely hit the spot.

During these tough economic times, a good meal at a great price is enough to make me forget money troubles for a little bit. This three course meal set my friend and I back $80. I will most definitely be returning. I want to try the Mexican hot chocolate damn it.

October 12, 2011

Amazing Experience, More than just Desert

Last Friday I took my girlfriend to Hot Chocolate for her birthday and she had an amazing time. We started with the pretzels and a couple specialty cocktails. I ordered the burger with egg, bacon, and cheddar. Definitely a top 5 burger…
February 18, 2010

So delicious! My favorite date place

Hot Chocolate is my favorite special date place in Chicago. My boyfriend and I have been several times, and it's always fantastic! The dinner entrees, are good, but not super amazing, but you really go there for the desserts. Their…
January 28, 2010

great date night

Rather pricey but if you want a great find for a date night, this is cute. Chocolate is obvoiusly what they are known for so make sure you visit after a bite out to dinner.

Chocolate Good for groups Takeout
Tips
  • Choose from five different tempting hot cocoas, from creamy white chocolate to a "black & tan" with one-third hot fudge and two-thirds medium hot chocolate--all served with house-made marshmallows.
  • Choose from five different tempting hot cocoas, from creamy white chocolate to a "black & tan" with one-third hot fudge and two-thirds medium hot chocolate, all served with house-made marshmallows.
  • During the summer, the restaurant will run a lemonade stand out front.
  • Valet parking will be offered during the evenings only.
  • You'll have an easier time getting a table on weeknights, but the time to see and be seen is during weekend brunch, when the pretty people of Bucktown flock here for Segal's warm cinnamon doughnuts with homemade raspberry preserves.
Sun,Sat 10:00AM - 02:00PM (Brunch)
Sun,Tue-Wed 05:30PM - 10:00PM (Dinner)
Thu 05:30PM - 11:00PM (Dinner)
Fri-Sat 05:30PM - 12:00AM (Dinner)
Tue-Fri 11:30AM - 02:00PM (Lunch)
At9bxeamsr3yb7aby-d11h
Denny

asloane

0 useful

JenChamberlain

C-d8ng68kr26ataby-gaa8
Chicago_Bites

Hot Chocolate  Restaurant Reviews

Hot Chocolate is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Hot Chocolate Restaurant And Dessert Bar, Chocolate Restaurants, Hot Chocolate Chicago Restaurant, Hot Chocolate Restaurant Chicago, Hot Chocolate Chicago, Hot Chocolate Menu Chicago, and Hot Chocolate Chicago Menu.