927 E Colorado Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91106

Japon Bistro

Neighborhoods: South Pasadena
Cuisine: Japanese, Sushi, Lunch

Japon Bistro is a Japanese, Sushi, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

mh2mh photo

mh2mh

nice surprise

It’s quite good. Not fantastic, but a good local Japanese restaurant. The service was great, very friendly.

Looking at it from the outside, basically it’s just the door, you might think WTH what am I getting myself into. But then you step inside and it’s very nice! Also a lot larger than it looks from the outside.

The food prices are very reasonable, especially the so-called omakase. I was really surprised about the extensive sake menu, levels above what I’d expect here, and a little bit pricey.

Me and one of my friends shared some sushi, and some items from the izakaya menu. Our other friends did “omakase.” In quotes because it is in no way chef’s choice/market fresh, etc. It’s basically some prix fixe, probably the same all the time. They have 3 price levels, really cheap, starting at $35 I think. The sets are the same, just different fish, like salmon cheapest, next level you get black cod, etc. Some raw stuff, some cooked stuff, plus dessert. It’s plenty of food, AND they let you share one omakase order! We were like, what? really? So you could split a $35 omakase, add a couple of items if you need, and still have enough money to see a $15 movie.

The sushi and izakaya items we got were fine, the fish was fresh. The poke plate was a good portion. The uni and ankimo were ok. All in all, a good place to know about in the hood.

ThirstyPig photo

ThirstyPig

Popular Japanese In Pasadena

Japon Bistro, yes – with an “O”, is located in the heart of Pasadena off of Colorado near Lake. Pasadena features a one of most diverse collection of Japanese restaurants around, and is up there with the South Bay, Little Tokyo, and Sawtelle. With Shaab, Hurry Curry, Shiro, Gyu-Kaku and others, Japon Bistro draws a crowd almost every night.

Yet, being popular may not equate to being great Japanese food. In the US, and especially in Los Angeles, Japanese food is turning into less of a specialty ethnic cuisine and more of a popularized fare. Yet, I know I am being a snob when I say this, but I doubt non-Japanese could make quality Japanese food, such is the case with Japon Bistro.

Owned by Chinese, I felt that with the majority Caucasian clientele, I felt that Japon Bistro had crossed over (with their menu) to cater toward this American palate. But I realized that most ethnic restaurants had to do the same with their locally sourced ingredients. But that still doesn’t deter my feeling toward Japon Bistro.

I wasn’t to particularly satisfied with the rolls and the sushi selection that we had. The massive specialty rolls, which is great for groups, but not my cup of tea, is just a fun event. Though I wasn’t all that happy with the uni – sea urchin. It lacked sort of the taste I am used to at Sushi Gin in DTLA.

But I did like the broiled black cod and the broiled Chilean Sea Bass. Both of these fish had good taste. I usually order the black cod when I am having izakaya.

Anyways. . . I didn’t pick Japon Bistro, but we needed a place for our large group. At least the Sake was good. Japaon Bistro has one of the large selection of Sake’s that I have ever seen.

Japanese Sushi Delivery
Mon-Thu 11:30AM - 02:30PM
Mon-Thu 05:30PM - 09:30PM
Fri 11:30AM - 02:30PM
Fri 05:30PM - 10:30PM
Sat 05:30PM - 10:30PM
Sun 05:30PM - 09:30PM

Japon Bistro  Restaurant Reviews

Japon Bistro is located near the cities of South Pasadena and San Marino.
People found this by searching for: Japon Bistro Omakase, Cafe Japon Pasadena, Japon Bistro Menu, Sushi+Pasadena+Bistro, Japon Bistro In Pasadena Ca, Japon Bistro, Japan Bistro Menu In Pasadena, Japon Bistro Pasadena Menu, and Japon Bistro Pasadena.