2159 S China Pl
Chicago, IL 60616-1536

Joy Yee's Noodle Shop

Neighborhoods: Armour Square
Cuisine: Asian, Japanese, Vietnamese

Joy Yee's Noodle Shop is a Asian, Japanese, and Vietnamese restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

justin photo

justin

Frozen desserts in freezing weather

My follow-up review for this restaurant. Read my previous review for this restaurant here

Even the snow on the ground and the freezing weather couldn’t stop us from getting Joy Yee’s after our meal. That’s why they invented gloves right? So you can drink a frozen drink while walking around in the middle of winter. One of the great things about getting a drink from Joy Yee’s in the winter is that the normally long drink line was virtually non-existent.

Green Tea Ice Cream Freeze

Sounds better than it tasted. It’s a blended green tea drink with soft serve ice cream on top. Next time I should ask them to blend the ice cream into the mixture.

spam_i_am photo

spam_i_am

New York, NY

Relatively good boba

Relatively meaning that in Chicago, it’s very hard to find better boba drinks, especially in terms of the tapioca. But if you’re in say, California, it would be no problem at all.

Decor/Ambiance: A very popular place, so it is crowded most of the time, and the seating is cramped.

Service: OK basic service.

If you’re around Chinatown, definitely stop by for some boba; their fruit slushee bobas star over their milk based ones. And if seating is available, definitely stay for some food. They have a massive menu with Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese, Thai, and Korean options. (Although one time I was eating with a group, and 4 different chicken dishes were ordered, but when they came out they all looked pretty much the same.) If there’s a wait, the food’s not worth waiting for … there are better options in Chinatown. Note that Joy Yee’s has two other locations with more ample room (one in Evanston).

Lychee-Kiwi Freeze with Tapioca

My favorite combo, great balance of sweetness and tanginess.

Taro Freeze with Tapioca

They don’t do taro very well. Didn’t even look like a taro drink. Tasted more like coconut. Bland coconut.

Thai Spicy Chicken Wings

Great as a late night snack.

Korean BBQ Short Ribs  - Korean BBQ Short Ribs  at Joy Yee's Noodle Shop

Korean BBQ Short Ribs

Tasty, not the greatest, but works.

Pineapple Fried Rice

Made just as well as at any other place.

phatcat1688 photo

phatcat1688

YuM in MY TUM and very filling

I’ve been here maybe 6-7 times in the last 7 years. Everytime I have been impressed with the food and people inside. The service is quick (but the wait can be long at lunch or dinner).

I’ve been here with friends, parents, and a date. The food they give for an entree of ~$10 bucks is unbelievable. You will leave with a full stomach, and if you still have room their famous smoothies with tapioca (boba) balls will cap it off to a belt-busting evening.

Korean Spicy Fried Dumplings

Done right.

Lemon Grass Shrimp

Tasty, but nothing to tell friends about.

Chicken Lo Mein

Really good, they did not skimp out on the chicken.

Kimchee and Korean Beef over rice

Pretty impressive considering this is a chinese restaurant (I believe).

john photo

john

San Jose, CA

Great food AND great presentation

I was really impressed at how nicely presented the dishes were. Everything came in ornate bowls, bamboo containers, hollowed-out pineapples or some other fancy contraption. The menu itself goes on forever because there is a picture of EVERYTHING on the menu. I was doubly surprised that the food itself was really tasty, and came in huge portions. I can’t wait to go back.

Pineapple Fried Rice

Comes in a real pineapple, how cool is that!

tulips500 photo

tulips500

tasty boba

the best boba in town! all kinds of fresh fruit boba with different kinds of boba sizes. i recommend getting the fruit tops – healthy & delicious!

annie photo

annie

More Oil pls, bb. Thx.

Sat and ate in the restaurant this time around, which I wouldn’t do again. Service was downright crazy – we got the entrees long before the appetizers, and when one of us ordered a second Diet Coke, two different servers brought two cans over. The server also made us feel like we were in trouble.

Won Ton Noodles

The wonton soup was a huuge bowl. Too bad I don’t love wontons, ‘cause they’re pretty adorable. The broth wasn’t too mild or pushy. Who knew soup was so much fun to share?

Peanut Milk Tea Tapioca

It tastes like peanuts ground up in water. Very odd. I did drink it just to get to the tapioca balls, though.

Chicken Lettuce Wraps

The chicken is cooked nicely with onions and they put in a fine show. The lettuce was all very fresh with no unsightly brown spots.

Amazingly diverse pan-Asian menu. Lots of...

Amazingly diverse pan-Asian menu. Lots of exotic things with seafood, curry, and rice steamed in bamboo tubes and coconuts, or fried in Korean stone bowls. The duck noodle soup is fantastic. Bubble tea is good, but I wish they could make it hot during the winter. Only complaints are that sometimes the food’s a bit salty, and the waiters rush you a little.

The best boba I've had east of California. AMAZING food! ...

The best boba I’ve had east of California. AMAZING food! The restaurant is so small and busy. Time your visit well!

5 STARS on the BOBA! Avacado Freeze Tapioca is amazing. ...

5 STARS on the BOBA! Avacado Freeze Tapioca is amazing. Fresh fruit always, always a line outside!

smallfry photo

smallfry

Chicago, IL

OMG there is a Joy Yee PLUS?!

Yes, there is a Joy Yee Plus! It is actually just a few doors down from the original Chinatown Joy Yee’s. This one even has a “creek” like aquarium on its floor with fish traversing up and down the front of the counter (no, you do not get to pick out the fish you want to eat in this chic tank).

This Joy Yee’s is centered more around the light/fresh tastes of Japanese cuisine. So you’ll find more seafood, sushi, bento box types of dishes than the extended pan-asian choices at the original Joy Yee’s.

AND they have fro-yo!! I won’t pretend to be a fro-yo expert but to me, it tastes just like the Berry Chill fro-yo. I absolutely love the original but passion fruit was just as good and tasty. Definitely try with the mochi topping (I heart mochi~)!

Bento Box

Japanese Pork Bento Box was a great choice. It’s like don-katsu (pork cutlet) served over white rice. It comes with 3 nigiri (tuna, salmon, and I don’t know what the other fish was…) and your choice of rolls (I chose the unagi/avocado rolls). There was also this beautiful green, sweet and sour seaweed salad that seemed to activate my taste buds. Also came with lots of edamame to munch on and fresh apple slices. Overall, a good deal. Unfortunately, on the weekends, there are no lunch specials! But try going from M-F and these bento boxes should be less expensive.

Asian Japanese Chinatown

sheryl

Bp7kvywgor27ppabblkses
woorangutan

Joy Yee's Noodle Shop  Restaurant Reviews

Joy Yee's Noodle Shop is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Joy Yee's Menu, Joy Lee Resturant Chicago, Joy Lee Chicago, Joy Yee, Joy Lee Chinese Restaurant Chicago, Joy Yee Menu, Joy Yee Restaurant, and Joyee Restaurant Evanston Il.