6227 Brookside Plaza
Kansas City, MO 64113

Julian

Neighborhoods: Morningside
Cuisine: American, Casual dining, Local

Julian is a American, Casual dining, and Local restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.

y2katielou photo

y2katielou

Lees Summit, MO

Best Overall Dining Experience in a Long Time!

It all started when the ladies (dressed up) looked at the men (in jeans) and decided we must go somewhere casual that we had never been to before, and not too expensive. Julian completely blew us away for many reasons.

1. The server, Sebastian, was incredible. Friendly, prompt, and did a great job of explaining the menu and suggesting dishes.
2. We were very impressed with the pricing (I don’t know how anyone can call it expensive or overpriced as I’ve seen on other websites??????). To be able to get a true gourmet meal from a James Beard Award-winning Chef for $15 and desserts for $4 blew our minds. Meals at Houlihan’s are more expensive than that!!!! Portion sizes are not “small”. They are completely adequate, especially for the prices.
3. The fact that the owner and chef, Celina, came out to check on us at all (let alone 3 times) wrapped up and put the bow on our experience. I have never felt more appreciated for my business while dining.
4. Of course, the food. Interesting, flavorful…there wasn’t a morsel or scrap left on any of our plates. Our group ordered one of everything on the dessert menu and I LOVED the chocolate pudding with sea salt. Delicious.

People have talked about the decor being sub-par. Yes, it’s a little bit bare, but what that told us is that this restaurant is about the food, not about being fancy or flashy. We wanted unpretentious, and that is exactly what we got. We will absolutely be back and can’t wait to go again.

House-made Soft Pretzels and Mustards

The pretzels were delicious and definitely tasted “house-made”…I don’t believe I’ve ever experienced that before. The mustards were definitely interesting, however both of them were on the sweet-side. While I liked them, I prefer a more spicy mustard. The server was kind enough to suggest and bring out a dijon.

Campo Lindo Chicken and Dumplings

What a surprising twist on a country classic! The chicken was delicious and moist. The dumplings were very good…I could have used more as there were only 4, but it kind of made me savor them and appreciate them more in the dish instead of over-indulging. The pan sauce was just right…not overdone. Overall very good.

Chocolate Pudding with Ginger Donut

Fabulous! Having a made-from-scratch chocolate pudding was such an enlightenment when compared to my typical Sugar-Free Jello Pudding that I have at home. A sprinkling of coarse sea-salt on top gave it an interesting “bite” that was really refreshing. The donut was a donut…the ginger made it appealing and was of course great dipped in the pudding.

mizzouatheart photo

mizzouatheart

Kansas City, MO

"Feel Good Food"

Julian aptly describes itself as “feel good food.” The owner, Celina Tio, is a former executive chef of Kansas City’s upscale American Restaurant, and she named the restaurant after her two greatest food influences, her grandfather Julian and Julia Child.

Julian is located in Brookside in the former Joe D’s Wine Bar space, which is a great location but a building ill-suited as a restaurant. There is a very small seating area and bar in the entrance and you must go through the kitchen to get to a larger seating area. But the space has been updated with darker and modern browns and grays with brushed chrome seating.

The food and service more than makes up for the environs! Everyone was friendly and offered great suggestions for wine. I was a bit worried that they did not have a high chair for my son but he did just fine in the chair. He absolutely scarfed down the Boulevard Ale Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli although I got a few bits in as well. The crisp Sauvignon Blanc recommended by the server was as promised and was a great compliment to the Roasted Cauliflower Soup and Lobster Shepherd’s Pie. My son and I split the wonderfully rich and thick homemade Chocolate Pudding with a Ginger Donut and while it was the perfect portion, we could have eaten a tub of it! This is no jello, people. More on the other courses below, but it is safe to say that with the friendly service and well-prepared food, we will definitely be back!

Roasted Cauliflower Soup

This soup was thinner than expected but lovely in its delicate cauliflower flavor. It had a small piece of bread floating in it with some small pieces of roasted pear (I think) as garnish. Absolutely delicious and not too heavy.

Boulevard Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli

This is my new favorite macaroni and cheese in Kansas City. The elbow macaroni is simple but bathed in a strongly flavored cheese sauce. The gruyere comes through right away and you get a hint of the Boulevard Beer that is added to the sauce. The broccoli is perfectly cooked and still bright green and adds a nice crunchy texture and nutritional value! This could be a main dish itself!

Lobster Shepherd's Pie

This dish turns the concept of Shepherd’s Pie on its head by reversing the order of the ingredients in the dish, but it is better this way, trust me! The dish arrives in a soup bowl. The mashed potatoes are super-fine in texture and on the BOTTOM of the dish. On top of the potatoes are three small whole petite carrots, pearl onions and wild mushrooms in a light and oh-so-slightly creamy stock. These vegetables were so amazing. The carrots were cooked but still crisp and sweet. I have never had better onions than the ones in this dish. They were also tender but crisp but full of flavor as I bit into them. They tasted very fresh. And the crowning glory of course is the lobster, a full-sized lobster tail with the additional lobster claw meat on top. I think this is not only a prettier presentation but also keeps the lobster from getting drowned in sauce or too mushy. Wonderful!

Chocolate Pudding with Ginger Donut

I’ve never had homemade chocolate pudding, and I will never enjoy Jello pudding again after eating this delightful dessert. The pudding was thick and fudgy and rich, full of bittersweet chocolate flavor and garnshed with a smoked gray salt that really set off the sweetness. The ginger donut was a little homemade donut hole rolled in ginger sugar. While the ginger flavor did not really come through it was still very tasty and fresh. My son and I were fighting over who got the last bite!

WPFoodie photo

WPFoodie

White Plains, NY

Will not go back...

I have dined at the best of the best around the world and the chef MUST be in the kitchen…not when I visited here. Chef was managing the restaurant, we never once saw her in the kitchen in the almost three hours we were there. She stood close to the kitchen chatting with staff at times but we never once saw her go in.

We had a reservation at 7pm that we had to hold with a credit card and we were not seated until almost 8pm. While Chef was apologetic she told us it probably seemed a lot longer because we were there early (10 mins).

The food: fair. Some people loved their dishes, others did not. The cubed braised short rib was dry. One person at the table described it as braised saw dust. The pasta was delicious. The mac and cheese and mussels were very good too.

Atmosphere: LOUD. We could not hear each other talk. The place has terrible acoustics. Be prepared for NOISY!

Staff: fair. Nothing outstanding. The hostess lied to us about 10 times saying the table we were to be seated was paying their bill, later to find out they had just ordered coffee. Annoying.

Boulevard Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli

Very good!

House-made Soft Pretzels and Mustards

Yum!

12/11/2019

A Chinese chowhound from Overland Park, KS tried House of Hunan in Waldo.

12/07/2019

A diner from Overland Park, KS tried Jess & Jim's Steak House in Martin City and liked it.

12/04/2019

A Seafood chowhound from US tried Lutfi's Fried Fish, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

12/03/2019

A Pizza food lover from US tried Pizza Hut in Eastwood Hills West, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
Sorry, but there are no available Pizza Huts that can deliver to that address. Try entering another address or switching to carryout. I'm sad this location is closed please I'm begging for pizza hut to deliver to my address since I live only a half mile a
11/30/2019

A diner from Independence, MO tried Greek Food Ltd in Crown Center.

11/23/2019

A diner from Mountain View, CA tried Jim's Fat Burger in Self Help Neighborhood Council and liked it. They liked the food.

11/23/2019

An American food lover from Mountain View, CA tried Jim's Fat Burger in Self Help Neighborhood Council, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
GREAT FOOD,order IN-sit and Wait, CALL ORDER IN,-closed Sundays and Mondays- OK. great burgers and DESSERTS-cakes.
Cons
not a Starbucks.
Comments
Lot's of choices. Pork-chops, smothered in gravy or fried, greens..
11/10/2019

A dining patron from Eau Claire, WI tried Antonio's Pizza in Hanover Place.

11/08/2019

A diner from Mountain View, CA tried Lutfi's Fried Fish.

11/06/2019

An American chowhound from Dunedin, FL tried Stephenson's Old Apple Farm Restaurant (CLOSED) in Country Valley - Hawthorn Square.

American Casual dining Reservations

Julian  Restaurant Reviews

Julian is located near the cities of North Kansas City, Kansas City, and Rosedale.
People found this by searching for: Julian Restaurant Kansas City, Julian Restaurant Brookside Mo, Julian Grays Restaurant Menu, Julian's Restaurant Brookside, 6227 Brookside Kansas City Mo, Julian Restaurant Kc Reviews, Julian Kcmo, Julian In Brookside Mo, and Julian Kansas City.