101 10 St NW
Calgary, AB T2N

Julio's Barrio Mexican

Neighborhoods: Sunnyside
Cuisine: Mexican

Julio's Barrio Mexican is a Mexican restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped less than 15%.

lolacola photo

lolacola

Calgary, AB

Boring Food, Bad Service

Okay so Julio’s Barrio…where to begin on this one. My friend suggested this restaurant in Kensington for dinner and drinks for her birthday. I had driven past Julio’s numerous times and loved the looks of the building from the outside; a large 2-storey cylindrical shape with one wall made entirely out of windows. I was less then thrilled with the interior when I got there. Decorated in classical Mexican colours like, brown, green and red, the bright artwork does little to warm the ugly metal chairs and tables upstairs, and the badly upholstered booths downstairs. I asked my friend why we were sitting upstairs and she said that it was because they had no room downstairs. I thought that was odd as I saw a lot of empty tables and my friend told me that she had tried to call and make a reservation but was told they didn’t take them…

Hoping some Mexican cuisine and drinks would cheer me up, I decided what to drink and waited. And waited. Eventually, after sitting for about 15 minutes, I flagged down a waitress who had walked by numerous times and asked for our waitress, or failing that, a drink. She said oh I am your waitress and went off to get my drink. I don’t know if it was her or the bartender but the drinks took forever as well. My friend also had to ask for a water about 3 times before going up to the bar and asking the bartender for it herself. The drink I chose was a Mexican Bulldog. A two ounce lime margarita with a coronita (a mini corona, about half of a regular one) turned up side down in side of the margarita. I love these drinks having had them in Mexico and other restaurants. This one was very good but you can get them at Moxies for about $9.00 and this one was $13.00.

The overpricing didn’t stop there. In my opinion, the food seemed ridiculously overpriced for rather bare bones Mexican cuisine; with Enchiladas, Chimichangas and Quesadillas around $15 – $19 bucks a pop. I ordered the Four Grande Tacos; with hard tacos, taco beef, monterey jack and cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, jalapenos, sour cream and salsa. At $17.00 for make your own tacos I was hoping it would be worth the price.

The food was decidedly faster then the waitress. When the tacos arrived, they had no sour cream and salsa. Another person at our table who had ordered the same item did not receive the sauces either. When I was finally able to get the waitresses attention, I asked for the sauces for myself and the other guest. “It doesn’t come with sour cream and salsa.” was the waitresses rude reply. After showing her that the menu said it came with those item she just said “Alright.” and wandered away to get them.

Then general consensus at the table was that food was mediocre. The portions were quite large so on average we each finished about half our meals but no one elected to take the food home as it wasn’t very good. The taco beef for my tacos was mixed with vegetables (celery, carrots, beans and chickpeas) which was a nice touch, but the beef itself was very bland. The salsa was also bland and very mild. I would have asked for some hot sauce to make this meal more interesting, but didn’t really want to wait for the waitress to get it. The shells for the hard tacos were the exact same as the Old El Paso taco kit I use at home. Honestly, Taco Bell has better Mexican food and that about sums it up.

Four Grande Tacos

Bland and boring.

Mexican Kensington

Julio's Barrio Mexican  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Julio's Barrio Menu, Julio Barrios Menu, Julios Bario, Julio Barrios Menu Calgary, Julio Barrios Calgary Menu, Mexican Bulldog Drink, Www.Juliosbarrio/Drinksmenu.Com, and Mexican Bulldog Margarita.