408 East Chicago St

TinaMilwaukee

Brown Deer, WI

Food Nirvana!

Kan Pai let me count the ways I love thee
I would like to thank Kan Pai for making me a believer..You can have a menu with 60 items and cook all of them perfectly. The secret is having three master chefs on staff.
I absolutely loved my dining experience at Kan Pai. We were immediately seated upon arriving.
Our server was quick to arrive. She possessed and extensive knowledge of the menu and offered some excellent appetizer suggestions. When we asked her to arrange separate checks for our group of six she was most agreeable. Our drinks were served in a timely manner. Most of all I would say that she was very personable without being obtrusive.
Our party ordered Edamame and Naruto Roll as appetizers. The Edamame was well Edamame..There isn’t much you can do creatively with Edamame. The Naruto roll was large and rather unique. I really enjoyed it. I was challenged to eat a piece of Sushi in two bites. But the individual pieces are so large that you can’t eat it in one bite. The flavor profile of the roll is light and refreshing. The fish was perfectly carved and just the right amount. This is the first time since arriving in MKE three years ago that I have had a decent piece of Sushi. I had really given up on getting good Sushi in Milwaukee. But if this roll is representative of their Sushi… I may be able to once again enjoy a food that has bought me such pleasure over the years.
For an Entrée I ordered from the Tapas menu. The Tapas menu is quite extensive. If you are a Chatty Cathy like me you might want to review the menu online prior to arriving. I ordered the Fried Calamari and Gyu Tataki.
Let’s start with the Calamari. Tender pillows of tempura battered calamari rings battle it out with strings of lightly battered eggplant and one jalapeno tempura battered ring. What I loved about this dish was that the calamari was so tender that it had to be fresh and was cooked the proper amount of time. I will confess to not being an eggplant fan. But this was so yummy that mommy happily consumed all of the eggplant.
Now for the Gyu Tataki. It was perfection. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard the term Waygu beef thrown around and been served a glorified version of flank steak. Even when I have ordered Waygu in the past and the marbeling was correct it was still always way undercooked or overcooked to a nice leathery texture. My dish arrived with perfectly seared waygu beef resting upon a lovely sauce that I am still trying to mentally deconstruct in hopes that I can replicate it. It was accompanied by the best crispy pork belly I have ever had in my life. The pork belly was so good it really could be a it’s own dish or possibly the worlds best appetizer. Going forward I will be ordering Waygu beef. But I will be holding to the standard that Kan Pai set tonight. Who knew massaged beer fed cows could be so yummy?
So what’s the takeaway…I will certainly dine at Kan Pai again. And by again I mean tomorrow. I will order the Spicy sushi platter that one of our fellow diners ordered.
As a mom I have an inherent ability to be overly critical. For once I have to admit that they did everything right, Everything from food, service, to adequate parking was great!

thirdwardweller photo

thirdwardweller

Milwaukee, WI

Not Impressed

We have ordered from Kanpai twice now. Both times we have had carry out because we live so close. The first time was so-so. This second time, however, we were beyond unimpressed. The sushi rolls were not properly rolled and kept falling apart. The tuna looked questionable. The edamame was mushy and unsalted. The Udon soup, though it had flavor, looked as though it contained leftover seafood. i recently saw an article on jsonline.com giving Kanpai three stars. I would never recommend this place to anyone. We have eaten at numerous sushi places and this place doesn’t even compare. We will continue to get our sushi from other Milwaukee businesses.

Japanese Asian fusion Catering

Kanpai  Restaurant Reviews

Kanpai is located near the cities of Milwaukee County.
People found this by searching for: Kanpai Milwaukee Facebook, Kanpai Restaurant Milwaukee, Kab Pai Milwaukew, Kanpai Restautant (Milwaukee), Kanpai Milwaukee Menu, Kanpai Milwaukee, and Kanpai Wi.