205 E Houston St
New York, NY 10002-1098

Katz's Deli

Neighborhoods: Lower East Side
Cuisine: Deli, Breakfast, Grill

Katz's Deli is a Deli, Breakfast, and Grill restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.

Pros
"Great pastrami"
  • 3/30/2015

A diner from Newark, NJ tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Great pastrami
  • 3/10/2015

A Deli food lover from Newark, NJ tried it.

• 6/18/2014

A Deli food lover from Newark, NJ tried it and liked it.

QB
bluerhapsodies photo

bluerhapsodies

Redmond, WA

"I'll have what she's having"

I went there as a tourist… which girl wouldn’t want to after seeing Meg Ryan perform her memorable little act in “When Harry Met Sally”? J/K. :) Though this place in reality is more like a run-down cafeteria and does not resemble the diner in the movie, let alone inspiring the “what she’s having” sentiment. :)

The checkout system is somewhat confusing. You have to know where to line up and to remember to keep the ticket until the end of your meal. But if you do visit New York as a tourist, you can certainly consider stopping by for a meal and a “I lost my ticket at Katz’s” t-shirt as a souvenir. :)

Though there’s no doubt that the meats are tasty! This is the kind of Deli that we Seattleites do not see often enough.

JDogg photo

JDogg

Sunnyvale, CA

BEST PASTRAMI EVER!!!

OMG the pastrami sandwiches are SO mouth watering…I’m drooling just thinking about it. Thick and juicy slabs of hand-carved pastrami piled high. Mmmmmm. I can never have another Togo’s hot pastrami sandwich again.

Sticky photo

Sticky

this is a Must Eat Here kind of place

great place. come in get a ticket, then order and sit.

they have the table where Sally sat with Harry in the movie and it says “hope you’re having what she’s having” the line was adlibbed – either Billy Crystal or the director’s mother was sitting in as an extra and the film was rolling when she said that so they included it in the film.

for vegetarians, potato pancakes, egg salad sandwich and a couple of other things.

Guy at the counter started talking to me as if he knew me – he thought I was someone else. He told me I looked like Harry Potter and asked me where the guys that I usually come in with are. There gotta be a hundred guys that look like me here.

Tuna Sandwich and pickle

Lots and lots of tuna on it. Egg salad would have been cheaper. Had it on rye bread or whatever the standard bread was. I can’t get sour dough bread here, but I can get pumpernickel which I can’t get in SF

Channing photo

Channing

San Francisco, CA

The place is a pretty famous NYC institution....

The place is a pretty famous NYC institution. Prices are a little on the higher side, but you get a good meal with decent proportions. As a visitor, I’m not sure if I would go out of my way to go here again, since there are so many other places to try.

BrianHo photo

BrianHo

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Pastrami Sandwich is the BEST.

Pastrami Sandwich is the BEST.

Worlds Best

You haven’t had Pastrami until you’ve had it here. Nowhere on planet earth is there Pastrami that compares. The Corned Beef ain’t bad either. Potato Knishes, Hot Dogs, gotta love Katz’s Deli, if ya say ya don’t you’re a big liar!

JAT photo

JAT

Macon, GA

I'll Never Forget My First Time...

How do you write something about a place like Katz’s that hasn’t already been written? Well, here goes…

It’s my first time in New York City. We’re there to go on a cruise to Bermuda, and we hopped the PATH train from Jersey to lower Manhattan with 6-7 hours to get a taste of the sights and sounds of New York. With limited time, and careful pre-vacation planning, we set about with two of our friends and three points on the map. We figured if we could do those three things and see as much as we could in between, then our first trip to NYC would be a success.

First stop, Katz’s Deli.

I’ve seen it on maybe 139 different travel shows, and we all know about the famous movie scene, and while one could choose from 10,000 places to go for lunch in New York City, deli was the call, and Katz’s was the place.

A short cab ride dropped us at the front door, and much to our surprise, and on a busy pre-fourth of July Saturday afternoon, we were able to walk in and get a table straightaway. We were there! Katz’s! New York City! Sensory overload set in very fast as I began to take it all in. There were other visitors like us there, but there were also locals, and the mix made for a great and bustling crowd.

Our server came over and presented us with menus and a plate of halfsour pickles to get us started. I knew what I wanted to order, but took a look at the menu while my friends and family made their selections. As totally predicted, I went with the pastrami.

You see places like Katz’s on TV and in movies and you wonder what it would be like to actually go there, hoping that the reality lives up to your expectations. I’ve been to a few places where a friend has recommended a great local spot, only to have it turn out that, yes, it was great, but only if you live there.

Those type of worries are not necessary when eating at Katz’s. The hype is more than lived up to, and I did a quick reality check on myself just to make sure I wasn’t caught up in the fact that I was finally in New York, but that I was having awesome food at a legendary place. I was.

All this time, I thought they made the pastrami in-house. I mean, that’s what the travel shows always said. But there’s no way. It’s too good. The pastrami falls straight from heaven and lands on your plate. Oh my gosh it was that good! My wife ordered the corned beef, and offered to split hers with me so she could try the pastrami, and in a moment of weakness, I agreed. I was crazy for sharing. Next time, she can order her own pastrami!

A giant slice of New York cheesecake for dessert that I thought we were all going to share, (and which my daughter fought us off with her fork in a crazed fit) and our first taste of New York could not have been better if we tried. If there’s pastrami out there better than that, then please, let me know!

Katz’s Deli. The place. The pastrami. The legend.

Katz's Pastrami Hot Sandwich

Unbelievable.

I should just stop right here for fear of not doing it justice.

If you’ve ever seen Katz’s Deli on TV, the pastrami looks like something that should be on your culinary bucket list. But to actually have it is to taste what proper pastrami should be, and Katz’s is perfection.

Steaming hot, served on rye with brown mustard, I don’t know if I’ve ever had anything that good and that simple. I didn’t leave a crumb on my plate!

Great Pastrami

Very good food but a bit pricey

Katz's Pastrami Hot Sandwich

Hot hot hot and soooo good

TheTripChick photo

TheTripChick

Seattle, WA

Lean pastrami Reuben is to die for!

We finally made it to Katz’s Deli this year, after previously trying both Stage Deli and Carnegie Deli. After biting into our sandwich, it was Katz’s for the win.

We ordered a lean pastrami Reuben, Matzo ball soup and half-sour pickles. The taste of pastrami was fantastic and I couldn’t wait for the sandwich to be built. Once we gathered our order we sat at a table several down from the one made famous in When Harry Met Sally and chowed down. The Reuben was a.ma.zing. Truly spectacular…so much better than both Stage and Carnegie that it wasn’t even like comparing apples to apples.

Carnegie, however, won on the Matzo ball soup. The soup at Katz’s was missing the intense chicken flavor of Carnegie, so Carnegie won the soup round.

To give you a better idea, we were plotting how to get more Reubens delivered from Katz’s to Seattle as we’re only in NYC about once a year. We already miss that darn sandwich.

ScottS photo

ScottS

New York, NY

The pastrami here is a work of art. It's...

The pastrami here is a work of art. It’s perfection. The way the service is organized is extremely annoying. Don’t miss out on the fact it’s near Russ & Daughters fish place.

I grew up on 2nd Avenue Deli, but have to settle for Katz...

I grew up on 2nd Avenue Deli, but have to settle for Katz’s these days. In some ways, it’s better – cheaper and much easier to get a seat. Everything is good, but I always get a frankfurter. Or two.

Deli Breakfast Dinner

MyNameIsJJ

pennyroyl

Woodside, NY

Katz's Deli  Restaurant Reviews

Katz's Deli is located near the cities of Tribeca, Peck Slip, Canal Street, Trinity, and Financial District.
People found this by searching for: Katz Deli Menu, Katz Deli New York Menu, Katz Deli Breakfast, Katz Deli Hours Nyc, Katz's Deli Nyc Menu, Katz Deli Menu New York, Katz Deli New Haven Menu Pdf, Katz's Deli Menu, and Katz Deli Nyc Menu.