2100 Ward St

Kirala

Neighborhoods: South Berkeley
Cuisine: Sushi, Japanese, Sake Bar

• 7/04/2013

A diner from Livermore, CA tried it.

DunkinDonut photo

DunkinDonut

Robata Galore

Their robata is the best around. They have a really good selection of robata items to try. Shizo chicken, Asparagus beef, eggplant… try it and you’ll love it. Their sushi is ok, not spectacular. I’ve had better fish in pleasanton. Rolls are standard. Be prepared for the long wait too, there’s no reservations.

fattiusthebear photo

fattiusthebear

excellent, but small rolls

Kirala is not for the cheap eater. Japanese food costs more than average already, and Kirala is on the higher end of pricing. I had to wait 30 minutes, and I got there before the wait got even larger. The ambience is pretty nice, with a modern feel to it.

I was pretty sure that the sushi rolls were going to be small, since most classy Japanese places seem to. I ordered a California roll, rock and roll, and a tuna and avocado roll. I was quite right, since they were not too big. They did taste very good though. The seaweed surrounding the sushi actually added to the sushi taste and texture. The California roll seemed like it had real crab or something, because it tasted better than the typical. I really enjoyed all the rolls, although it was very filling. A damn shame it costs so much money just for a few small rolls.

They have excellent food and a nice atmosphere, but the long wait and high prices bring down the experience slightly. Good place for a nice date, or if you feel like indulging yourself in finer Japanese food (and you got the money to burn).

California Roll

It has crab and avocado in it. The crab was flavorful and was better than most other California rolls that I have had.

Tuna and Avocado Roll

Rock and Roll

The eel was excellent, and I liked the sauce they put on the roll.

Unagi Tenju

Eel and vegetable tempura. The eel was alright, although it had skin and eel fat too. If you aren’t a fan of eel skin/fat, then you might want to skip this. I prefer grilled eel over this, and in the form of a roll.

JennaNak photo

JennaNak

Berkeley, CA

I'll be liberal with the ahem stars and give this place a...

I’ll be liberal with the ahem stars and give this place a 4 because their food is good. Worth the long wait? I’m not sure. Good japanese food but it tends to be hyped as AMAZING and I dont really know about that, seems a little overrated. Go to Joshuya on dwight and telegraph. It’s not as fancy but who needs fancy when you can have nice ambiance with great taste and cheaper prices?

justin photo

justin

While I've enjoyed the sushi each time I've come here, th...

While I’ve enjoyed the sushi each time I’ve come here, the long wait annoys me and I’ve never been able to get full without breaking the bank. I do remember that the amaebi (sweet shrimp) was great and the fried shrimp heads they came with were yummy too. There’s something fun about biting into small heads…

Sushi Japanese Sake Bar

0 useful

Channing

Novato, CA

Kirala  Restaurant Reviews

Kirala is located near the cities of Columbus, Regina, Albany, Rockridge, and Kensington.
People found this by searching for: Benicia Waterfront Restaurant, Kirala Sushi Berkeley Ca, Kirala, Benicia Ca Restaurants In Waterfront, Crockett Restaurant St Clair Twp.,Mi, Breakfast And Diners Restaurants Canyon Tx, Italian Restaurants Richmond Il, and Hercules Bar And Grill, Saugatuck.