643 Pittsburgh St
Springdale, PA 15144-1539

Kleiner Deutschmann

Cuisine: German, American, Vegetarian

Kleiner Deutschmann is a German, American, and Vegetarian restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Real German food cooked like our grandparents did in the old country. Loved the curtains and decor in addition to the wonderful food."
  • 2/17/2018

A German chowhound from Upper Darby, PA tried it.

• 10/08/2017

• 6/10/2017

A dining patron from Louisville, CO tried it.

• 4/16/2017

A diner from Pittsburgh, PA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
  • 2/10/2017

A diner from New Kensington, PA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 1/08/2017

• 9/19/2016

• 8/01/2016

A German chowhound from Gibsonia, PA tried it.

• 2/13/2016

A German chowhound from US tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 2/04/2015

A German food lover from Dallas, TX tried it.

Donny photo

Donny

Pittsburgh, PA

Delicious and Traditional German Cuisine

My wife Jamie, my one year old son Donato and I made a long overdue reservation to dine at the Kleiner Deutchman Restaurant in Springdale, PA last week (only 15 minutes from Downtown). It was a tremendous experience from the moment we walked through the cozy home front door. We were greated by the owner at his small but well stocked bar. The bar was complete with every German Wine, Beer, and liquor you could wish for. My family was then seated in the ecclectic and comfortable dining room. The dining room was perfectly lighted for comfort and romance and it is filled with all sorts of artifacts from Germany and other worldly treasures. Our waiter Jim was experienced, polite, and very helpful with our questions about the extensive German menu. There were so many good things to choose from. They were serving a German cream of potato soup as well as an authentic Ox Tail soup that evening but Jamie and I opted for the Potatoe Pancakes and Homemade applesauce to start. Three steaming and crispy cakes arrived to our table perfectly seasoned and served beside a small bowl of chunky applesauce. The potato pancakes got two thumbs up from Donato; although he couldn’t finish his own I was happy to help him. My wife gave me the go ahead to take the helm and order for the two of us. So I decided to get two entrees that I haven’t seen on a menu since I got back from a month long tour of Germany in 1997. I ordered Roulade with served beside hot potatoe salad and red cabbage and I ordered a Pork Shank beside mashed potatoes and sour kraut. And to keep things true to German form we also ordered a potatoe dumpling.

The Roulade is made with a thin flank steak pounded out and seasoned with cracked black pepper, brown mustard, thin sliced onions, pickles and bacon. The steak is then rolled – “Roulade” with the ingredients inside and baked to perfection with a tart brown gravy. The sides and the meat were in perfect harmony together.

The generous Pork Shank was slow roasted with a simular tart brown gravy and I barely had to use my knife to eat the tender meat from the bone. Again the sides of were a perfect compliment to this course. Jamie and I shared our dinners as we always do and we couldn’t decied which entree was better. Our little boy ate everything that we had and he seemed to enjoy the upscale German Cusine as much as we did.

For dessert Jim brought out a large tray of cakes and puddings for us to choose from. Jamie was torn between a German Chocolate Cake, but she decided to get this Chocolate and Cheerie Cake (which I can not remember the name of). I ordered the traditional apple and cheery tart which came to our table warm and flaky. The coffee was hot and rich and the desserts were to die for.

Anyone looking for a truly great meal made with the best of everything should try the Kleiner Deutschman. It was a culinary experience that I shall not soon forget.

Roulade

Authentic and fabulous! Cut with a fork flank steak rolled and baked in the traditional German fashion!

German Style Pork Shank

Slowly cooked and nearly falling from the bone tender pork perfectly seasoned and topped with a traditional tart brown gravy.

German Dinner American
Tue-Sat 05:00PM - 10:00PM (Kleiner Deutschman)

Kleiner Deutschmann  Restaurant Reviews

Kleiner Deutschmann is located near the cities of Cheswick, Harwick, Lower Burrell, New Kensington, and Harmar Township.
People found this by searching for: Kleiner Deutschmann, Kleiner Deutschmann Pittsburgh, Kleiner Deutchman, Kleiner Deutschmann Menu, Klymer Dutchman Restaurant Chiswick Pa, Kleiner Deuchman, and Kleiner Deutschman.