3023 College Dr
Baton Rouge, LA 70808-3118

Koto Of Japan

Neighborhoods: Highlands/Perkins
Cuisine: Japanese, Sushi, Asian

Koto Of Japan is a Japanese, Sushi, and Asian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 2/10/2014

A diner from Atlanta, GA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

People photo

People

Baton Rouge, LA

Two Thumbs UP.

I travel a lot for business and I was surprised in the city of Baton Rouge has this great Japanese restaurant. They have fresh, high-quality sushi, diverse selections of rolls and cooked items. Both the presentation and taste are unique and well designed.

Most sushi restaurants that I had visited contain items that bore me easily, including in the country of Japan. Koto becomes my favorite Japanese restaurant in USA, much better than most of the restaurants in California and New York.

I was really surprised that I have found the best sushi restaurant in the State of Louisiana! Another favorite sushi place goes to the heart of Tokyo which is very costly, easily can go over to 200$ for a single meal.

I am very impressed with their strong drinks and modern atmosphere as well. I have recommended to my co-workers whoever travels to Baton Rouge and they all love it. Even our Japanese customers are impressed as well. Some of them have met the owner who is the main chef, Derek Chang. They said he is a passionate, professional chef, and speak highly about him.

I think this place is awesome and strongly recommended to people who are looking for a great dining experience.

Habachi Steak Lunch

The steak/fish are fresh and chef is very entertaining. Our group of 8 have enjoyed the Hibachi service and food+soup+salad+drinks.

We came here often.

Sea Bass

This dish is awesome… the taste is just unbelievable. I can eat it everyday!

sugar520 photo

sugar520

Baton Rouge, LA

Nasty

Today I got out voted and ended up having lunch at Koto of Japan on College Drive. I have eaten at Koto numerous times and never really had anything good or for that matter bad to say about the experience. Well today changed all of that. I had lunch with 7 of my co-workers and we decided that most of us would like the Hibachi Lunch. Being not a big fan of sushi I thought this would be a good choice. We were shown a table near the back of the restaurant which seated patrons around the hibachi grill. The decor was dark and rather drab. Many parts of the carpet were much worn and my shoe actually stuck to the floor on one occasion. At this point I’m thinking the very low light in the restaurant is a good idea. The restaurant just seemed grimy at this point. After looking over a fairly extensive menu I chose the steak hibachi lunch with comes with mushroom soup, a salad, teriyaki vegetables, fried rice and steak cooked to order. This sounded like a great deal for 10.00. The soup was tasty. A light broth that was a little greasy but had a pleasant mushroom flavor. The soup contained a scant portion of mushrooms and scallions and some other bits I couldn’t really identify. The salad arrived next and consisted of a tired mix of iceberg lettuce and julienne carrot strips with a dressing that looked and tasted like an overly gingered 1000 Island that for some reason had separated. Finally the chef arrived to start the show. First he cooked the fried rice, which I was highly anticipating. All of the ingredients looked fresh so I was hoping I’d be in for a treat. Wrong, the rice was both mushy and crunchy. A combination I’m not sure how one arrives at, but this rice managed. The rice was tasteless and I’ve had better at countless quick stop Chinese restaurants here in Baton Rouge. I’ve even had better from the freezer of a grocery store. The vegetables were ok. Fresh but under seasoned. The steak again was just OK. It was thin sliced ribeye cooked to order and was fairly tender but again had no real taste to speak of. My greatest complaint about my lunch was the view. I had the end seat at the table which afforded me a view of behind the grill. So what’s so bad about that you ask? I’ll tell you, it was the dead roach laying legs up right by the foot of the chef. I couldn’t keep my eyes off of it. After starting off merely thinking the restaurant was grimy I now know it to be NASTY. I can’t really imagine a good reason to go to Koto of Japan but if you want a cheap lunch with some entertainment it might be an OK choice, let’s just hope the view doesn’t spoil it for you too.

Habachi Steak Lunch

Japanese Sushi Asian

Koto Of Japan  Restaurant Reviews

Koto Of Japan is located near the cities of Capital Heights and Fairwoods.
People found this by searching for: Kotos Baton Rouge, Koto Baton Rouge, Koto Of Japan Baton Rouge, Koto Of Japan Menu, Koto Of Japan Menu Baton Rouge, Koto Of Japan Baton Rouge Menu, Kotos Baton Rouge Menu, and Koto Of Japan Baton Rouge La.