5184 Chemin de la Côte-des-Neiges
Montréal, QC H3T 1X8

La Caverne

(Near the intersection of Chemin de la Côte-des-Neiges and Avenue Swail)

Neighborhoods: Côte-Des-Neiges
Cuisine: Russian

La Caverne is a Russian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends and paid between $10 and $25.

rwarren69 photo

rwarren69

Montréal, QC

For the food: Da! For the entertainment: Nyet.

I was here for supper with a small group. This restaurant is decked out in a rustic, masculine manner, with hunting trophies adorning stone walls. Every time the door opened, I got a blast of cold air.

It was really hard to decide what to have, everything sounded so good. The waiter was very pleasant, describing the dishes so well it was even harder to decide! Plates were attractively presented, and the food was very tasty without feeling overstuffed. Some of my tablemates had been to another Russian restaurant in Montreal and declared the food at La Caverne to be far superior.

When we first arrived, there was a television on playing videos. Later, a male singer in leather pants took to the miniature stage. The music was so loud that it was impossible to know what language he was singing in — sometimes Spanish, sometimes French, we were pretty sure not in Russian. He didn’t seem to sing to the audience, but rather to the shelves beside him. When Mr. Leather Pants returned for a second set, I took that as my cue to depart.

Service was pleasant and responsive, except that the meals took about an hour and a half to arrive. We all enjoyed our food and I would consider returning — preferably on a quieter day.

Note: On Friday and Saturday evenings, there is a minimum order of $20 per person. This is stated upfront on the bottom of the menu.

mixed plate

This included a bit of everything: one cabbage roll, various types of dumplings, a blini, and ramekins of sour cream and mild salsa. The cabbage roll was my favorite: plumped up with ground meat, not too much rice, and the only dill flavor was a sprinkle of fresh clippings on the side. The puzzler was the “Ukrainian sausage” — a hot dog (yes a HOT.DOG.) scored to curl up into a flower shape.

Russian

La Caverne  Restaurant Reviews

La Caverne is located near the cities of Saint Laurent, Mont Royal, St Laurent, Mount Royal, and Mt Royal.