2377 Shattuck Ave
Berkeley, CA 94704

La Note

Neighborhoods: South Berkeley
Cuisine: Breakfast, Brunch, French

La Note is a Breakfast, Brunch, and French restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

mandeelish photo

mandeelish

Santa Clara, CA

Worth the drive

Another one of those great Berkeley restaurants that I didn’t discover until after I graduated. Poor me, because this place is my favorite brunch place.

I love the decor, it makes me feel like I’m in France. And the small carafes of water are so cute.

I nowadays drive up from the south bay to eat here on the weekends, and it can be very crowded.

The food of course is exceptional. I’ve had most of the cote dishes, along with the french toast. The scrambled eggs are fluffy, and the homefries I love.

The prices aren’t so bad considering the quality and quantity. So give it a try!

turtley photo

turtley

mmm... La Note

I’ve never been a big fan of bacon, but after ordering the cote est at La Note, my whole take on bacon changed. Ever since, I haven’t had any nearly as flavorful. La Note is notable (=P) due to its unique and original menu of breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Each time I ate there, it was a truly enjoyable breakfast, putting other breakfasts (like from Denny’s and such) to shame. A mere glance at the formidable menu for lunch and dinner gives me hope that it is even better than its superb breakfast (admittedly, I’ve only tasted a little of the lunch, and none of the dinner). A little more expensive though very worth it.

Cote Est

a great breakfast.

Oatmeal Raspberry Pancakes

mm

freshfunk5 photo

freshfunk5

In Love with La Note

Bonjour! Etes-vous pret a manger?!

La Note is THE place to go for Sunday brunch. Unfortunately, everyone else knows this too. But you must eat here as their french fare is absolutely delicious.

Try hot chocolate in a bowl or their basket of french breads/croissants and you’ll feel like you’ve been teleported to the Eiffel Tower or the Champs Elysees. Put on your beret and try the Cote Nord which is a fabulous dish of eggs with cream cheese (i prefer the goat cheese) on levan bread with some provence tomatoes and homefries. The provence tomatoes themselves make me melt into my seat.

Not to sound sexist, but women love this place for its charm. It’s bustling but not overly noisy. It’s cosy but not overly crowded. Also, it is moderately priced so you won’t have to break the piggy bank to eat here.

Bon appetit!

ibeacon photo

ibeacon

San Francisco, CA

Great food, wonderful space, sometimes so-so service

La Note is a little oasis on the main drag in Berkeley – the interior is warm and homey, and it has a beautiful open-air patio out back that is great for times when you can have a leisurely meal.

Breakfasts are hearty and very tasty – eggs and omelets are particularly good. Would agree with another poster about the yummy bacon.

For lunch, the salads are highly recommended.

The only problem I’ve had is that the service can get a little spotty on the back patio and you have to be a little aggressive in tracking down someone to help you. For some reason, no problems when you are seated inside.

Salade Nicoise

Excellent Nicoise – great mix of flavors and tasty dressing

marbelc photo

marbelc

Favorite Berkeley Brunch place

I love this place. From the huge bowls of mocha to the cute french decor to the little bowls of jam on each table. This is my favorite place for brunch, in the entire bay area (and I love brunching). A definite Berkeley gem, it gets busy on the weekends around noon, so expect a long wait unless you get up early.
My favorite is the cote sud (south coast), but with chicken apple sausage. The pain perdu (french toast using brioche bread) is good too. And the grilled tuna sandwich is good. I’ve come here with many people over the years, and no one’s been disappointed.
Despite it’s proximity, it’s not a cheap college place, but it gives you a good amount of food for what you order, and I find it worth it for the food and ambiance.
Try sitting on the back patio when it’s warm and sunny.

jenniferyellow photo

jenniferyellow

San Diego, CA

i agree! great option for brunch in berkeley :)

the service is kind of spotty at time (i think it’s mostly because it gets so busy around the brunch/lunch hours), but the food and the wonderful bowls of mocha make up for it :)

oh when you have the option, i would recommend the roasted tomatoes as a side.

blueberry oatmeal

this sounds boring, but it is really reeeally good — definitely recommended for the oatmeal lovers out there!

tulips500 photo

tulips500

brunch in provence

as other reviewers have stated, la note is probably one of the best brunch places in berkeley. and yes, everyone & their mother seems to know that already, as evidenced by the long wait times and crowds. whether it’s worth the wait though is debatable to me. the food is good and the service, although friendly can be slow & lacking. the ambiance, on a good note, is fabulous – they do a great job of re-creating the “en provence” feel. very cute, cozy, and french.

Creme Fraiche Pancakes

i was torn between the creme fraiche pancakes and the raspberry oatmeal pancakes. on the recommendation of our waitor, who loves the creme fraiche, i went with his advice. i was a little disappointed w/these pancakes as the subtle difference between creme fraiche flavoring and normal plain joe pancakes was lost to my palate. the pancakes were solid, but nothing mindblowing. next time i will go for the raspberry oatmeal pancakes.

My favorite brunch place in the East Bay. Used to be supe...

My favorite brunch place in the East Bay. Used to be super cheap but apparently inflation has occurred since my Cal days. Not all the dishes are a winner, but definitely worthwhile for the following: toasted cinnamon brioche with lavender honey (which used to be $2.65) and the lemon ginger pancakes. Try to grab a seat in the garden on a sunny day as like everyone says…it’s very charming.

eatnsnooze247 photo

eatnsnooze247

Expected a lot more

My friends all told me this was the best restaurant in Berkeley – and since I’d never tried French food before, I thought it would be a good idea to take my boyfriend there for our 2 year anniversary dinner. I was excited. It was so beautiful and quaint; I loved the cozy atmosphere. However, we had to wait a good 30 minutes before a waiter came by and asked what we wanted, which was ridiculous. We ordered the crotin de fromage de chevre cuir aux noix (goat cheese on bread) (an appetizer); he got le poulet au thym et citron (chicken), and I got the fish daily special (which was the snapper fillet on spaghetti). The appetizers were really good (I normally don’t like cheese, but the goat cheese was so good I started drooling!) so I was really looking forward to the rest of the meal.

I was severely disappointed. My plate had no taste – the noodles and fish were bland and boring. The only thing that had any taste at all was the burnt carrots. My boyfriend was not satisfied with his dish either. We ended up not having the heart to get dessert, and went home feeling gipped. The next day, we both had upset stomachs.

Overall, not a very pleasant experience – maybe I’ll come back for brunch/lunch but definitely not dinner.

Crotin de Fromage de Chevre Cuits aux Noix

heewon2 photo

heewon2

i LOVE La Note!!

BEautiful atmosphere! makes me feel like i’m in france. a lot of my friends told me to go eat at La Note. It is widely known to students and it has delicious food! friendly waitors and waitresses! i LOVED it.

Oatmeal Raspberry Pancakes

golden pancakes with scrumptious berries jam. best breakfast i’ve had in awhile!!! :) it’s worth the time and money to go.

DeannaL photo

DeannaL

Berkeley, CA

Best breakfast in Berkeley. I have my old...

Best breakfast in Berkeley. I have my old stand-by the “Cote Est” that I always order – which is really the best of both breakfast worlds – savory AND sweet. It’s two scrambled eggs, choice of one pancake (lemon gingerbread – of course!), choice of bacon or home fries (or get the other on the side for both). All to say that I am so into my usual that I haven’t tried the ratatouille, brioche, pain perdu (french toast), croque monsieur (open-face sandwich – could it be like Tartine’s?)… I’m not a coffee person. But just from how warm and cozy all the people who order the big coffee bowls look, I should try that too some time.

Downsides – it’s good so you almost always have to wait to be seated. The other major boo I have to add is that the side of toast is $2.95. $2.95! That is RIDICULOUS. One can buy 2-3 loaves of bread for $3! There is NO way 2 slices of sourdough should add up to $2.95. What are they thinking?! It is nothing fancy – maybe for a brioche but not toast. Other than that, I have found the prices reasonable for a quality breakfast.

Breakfast Brunch French

ichikoo

Seattle, WA

phaddius

La Note  Restaurant Reviews

La Note is located near the cities of Columbus, Regina, Albany, Rockridge, and Kensington.
People found this by searching for: La Note Berkeley, Ou Manger Des Pancakes A Berkeley, Best Pancakes In Berkeley, La Note Berkeley Menu, Open Air Patio Berkeley, La Note Berkeley Yelp, Menu At La Note Berkeley, and La Note Brunch.