127 S Washington St

Cuisine: French, Lunch, Bistro

GastroEclectico photo

GastroEclectico

Phoenix, AZ

Great flavors deluge at Le Refuge!

Great flavors deluge at Le Refuge! French cuisine in my younger years was relegated to the likes of French Onion Soup (soupe à l’oignon), Frog Legs (cuisses de grenouilles) or Snails (escargots) and not preferring much more than the soup… as I matured in my culinary understanding and repertoire of selection and enhanced palate, it has been so satisfying to appreciate the varied offerings from not only different regions of France, but the nuanced variations it has to offer – from the commercial chains to home style bistros. Over the past few years we’ve had the opportunity of tasting some magnifique selections to the point of actually having found preferences to a handful of such delights right in our own Northern Virginia back yard. I lean towards categorizing Le Refuge as one of my top 5 go to French Restaurants. Starting with its latent old world store front, its small village eatery ambiance, family-run feel, patron-friendly and communal comfort, not to mention the food – makes you think as if you’re in a little bistro in the Loire valley. The fact that over the years this magnificent establishment has remained small is a tribute to its proprietors and their desire to share a culinary and ancestral heritage not found often in American French restaurants. If you are looking for a brasserie (such as Can Can in Richmond), a café (similar to any Le Madeleine) or the largesse of a French country inn (like L’Auberg in Great Falls), this is not for you. Taken as a whole experience here is culminated by an incredible variety of dishes, all of which I’m sure you’ll take pleasure in, and come back for. During our recent last visit we started Evian Mineral Water followed by Perrier Sparking Water. For appetizers, a fantastic rendition of Mushroom Caps stuffed with crabmeat and mustard cream sauce. They have one of the best Soupe a L’oignon Gratinee (baked onion soup with Swiss cheese) I’ve tried in many years. Their Mousse de foie de canard au Cognac (duck liver mousse with Cognac) was not only tasty, but silky smooth. For our dinner wine we ordered and enjoyed a bottle of Les Plantes de Mayne, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru Red 2005, which worked perfectly with the rest of our dinner. For main courses, my wife had the Sliced duck with Raspberry Sauce with squash, sweet potato puree, the best she’d had in a very, very long time! One of our friends enjoyed her Le Filet de saumon Bearnaise (Salmon filet with béarnaise sauce) and her husband ordered a fantastic to say the least Coquilles Saint Jacque Marseillaise (sea scallops sautéed in garlic, parsley, diced tomatoes and Pernod). Although I was sorry they had run out of their reknown Bouillabaisse, my order of Gigot d’agneau a l’ail et au thym (roasted leg of lamb in light garlic sauce) – which I can honestly say, was the best lamb I’ve ever had the pleasure of having in any restaurant! We finished the meal with a flan like Gâteau, a pleasingly prepared Crème Brûlée, a Parfait; and an Apple Tart, 2 Lattes; and 2 Espressos. Needless to say the service was exceptional. The owners and staff make you feel at home. The food was fabulous. And all put together made for a fantabulous culinary evening event to remember shared with good friends – ’nuff said! Bon appétit!

French Accepts credit cards Post Theater
Ginger Beef Foody Goody

Chinese in Old Town

New Szechuan Express

Chinese in Landmark/Van Dorn

Good Luck Chinese

Diner in Seminary Hill

Le Refuge Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

Le Refuge Restaurant is located near the cities of Huntington, Forest Heights, Jefferson Manor, Bolling Afb, and 12 Oxon Hill.
People found this by searching for: Le Refuge Restaurant, Le Refuge Alexandria Menu, Le Refuge, Alexandria, and Reviews Of Le Refuge Alexandria.