The dish stunk when delivered. After three people ate the dish we got Toxic Shellfish Poisoning.
There was an outbreak of Food Poisoning July 31, 2008 at the Legacy Restaurant from Legacy Salad.
An OUTBREAK is defined when two or more victims eat the same meal at the same time and exhibit symptoms.
Three diners eating at the same time ordered the same dish (Legacy Salad with scallops) and contracted Toxic shellfish poisoning -of the DSP and or NSP variety.
Diagnosis of shellfish poisoning is based entirely on observed symptomatology and recent dietary history.
When the three plates of scallops were served, they stunk. Three victims smelled the plate ’_nose check"..up close. They seemed ok.Until one victim swallowed a bit of yellow scallop. OH..that was awful.
Thirty minutes later, she was in sever pain and had severe diarrhea. The next day, she felt dizzy and fainted. Health Care practitioner at the scene diagnosed the fainting as sever dehydration form the prolonged, painful and unpleasant diarrhea.
At least three people eating the legacy Salad at lunch that day got sick.
On Thursday July 31, Two victims exhibited GI symptoms within minutes after eating Legacy Salad with Scallops lunch at the restaurant and NO OTHER subsequent FOOD.
On Saturday, August 2 the third Victim who had eaten Legacy Salad with Scallops exhibited GI symptoms consistent with Acute Shellfish poisoning DSP; four bouts of diarrhea, with severe abdominal cramping.
Since no antidotes are available, medical treatment for all seafood intoxications is limited to providing emergency measures (e.g., gastric lavage, breathing assistance) and treating symptoms. There is a particular human health concern associated with DSP because the toxins involved (the dinophysistoxins or DTXs) are known potent tumor promoters. (That means cancer…).
The restaurant completely ignored the possibility of DSP or NSP…and thus continues to serve scallops that may have the toxins. DSP cannot be destroyed by cooking. The proper thing is to destroy any scallops suspected of DSP/NSP or have an assay done. Once DSP is found, no scallops can be sold from that area. Center for Disease Control notes “DSP/NSP is frequently misdiagnosed and underreported”.
Shellfish poisoning is caused by a group of toxins elaborated by algae upon which the shellfish feed. The toxins are accumulated by the shellfish. Ingestion of contaminated shellfish results in a wide variety of symptoms, depending upon the toxins(s) present, their concentrations in the shellfish and the amount of contaminated shellfish consumed.
Legacy Management did NOTHING for the victims. Legacy Management did NOT even refund their dinners. EAT here at your own risk.