601 S King St
Seattle, WA 98104-2916

Maekawa Bar

Neighborhoods: International District
Cuisine: Japanese, Tapas, Asian

Maekawa Bar is a Japanese, Tapas, and Asian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

ichikoo photo

ichikoo

Try this food item!

Read my previous review for this restaurant here

Kushikatsu with miso sauce

This is basically a tonkatsu meal which uses miso-based sauce. Oh so good!! If you like tonkatsu, venture out a bit and try this variation. You will love it!

gem67 photo

gem67

Mill Creek, WA

decent Japanese tapas restaurant in Seattle

I’m such the brat. I think Maekawa is decent by Seattle’s standards but since I’ve been to izakayas in Japan, I give it a three-star. Our waitstaff was friendly but not as attentive as I would’ve liked. As for the food, some dishes are tastier than others but most were not quite on par with Japan’s standards, or just standards of a great dish. That being said, I’d still go back to try out their other items since there’s so much to choose from. Plus it’ll be a fun hang-out with large groups of people (and open till 2am on weekends).

Kushikatsu with miso sauce

Deep-fried breaded pork or chicken cutlet with onions and your choice of miso or tonkatsu sauce. I had chicken with miso. It was very tasty and filling. I’d definitely get it again.

Salmon Tsutsumi

Waaaay small portion of a salmon filet and some enoki mushrooms cooked in a sweet mirin broth and wrapped tin foil. Not worth the money!

Buta Kimchee Nabe

I like my napa cabbage soggy so I felt they could’ve cooked it longer for that purpose..and for the flavor to seep through. It was a good dish to get, though: it warms you up from the inside out with just the right amount of spicyness.

Karaage

Fried chicken, japanese style. I wish the chicken chunks were smaller but I really liked the thin breading and the citrusy yuzu dressing for dipping.

Yaki Nasu

Grilled eggplants with bonita flakes. Simple yet juicy and good. Eat it with a bit of the ginger and dip it in soy sauce~ mmm

Albacore Tataki

Hmm, this wasn’t the best seared tuna dish. Nothing impressive tho it was ok-tasting. I wouldn’t order it again.

jetleigh photo

jetleigh

Seattle, WA

as close to Japan as you can get

…in Seattle. Maekawa Bar is the best place to go (along with Fort St. George next door) if you want to experience a real Japanese style ikazaya. The funky restaurant is on the 2nd level of a building in Chinatown. They play Japanese pop/rock music and the wait staff all look 1st generation Japanese. This restaurant isn’t very big, but it is lively and packed with young Japanese people speaking the language and enjoying their meals.

Everything on the menu is cheap, pretty much everything is under $10. A great place to come and sample various Japaneses dishes. They offer many dishes you won’t find at other Japanese restaurants in the area.

Maekawa is definetely at the top of my list :-) It brings back memories of my recent trip to Japan.

Maguro Sashimi

Extremely fresh! I was amazed how well this melted in my mouth.

Ramen

I was a little disappointed with the ramen. They could use more ingredients besides just the noodles a couple pieces of meat and fish cake.

KenHsu photo

KenHsu

Seattle, WA

Another place that I have gone past in...

Another place that I have gone past in International District many times but have only stepped in for the first time last friday :) If you want to try out lots of non-sushi type Japanese items this Ikazaya place is not bad. It’s always packed with people and as a result I think service suffered (they only had two-people waiting the tables…)

Basically, unless you flag down the wait staff, they will pretty much not come to serve you :)

Having said that, the dishes are not bad, don’t remember what we all had since went with a large group and many plates were ordered, the price per plate is ok. Would’ve given it better rating if not for the service. Oh well.

anneseanandy photo

anneseanandy

A good Variety

I like this restaurant because there’s so many different things you can order and try. You can order a lot of appetizer style items and try all sorts of things. It’s great. Although I won’t say healthy, a lot of things are oily and you will probably smell like food after you leave due to the open kitchen. But it’s a fun experience and they have pretty tasty alcoholic drinks. I’d recommend the Calpico Soju.

EddieF photo

EddieF

Redmond, WA

this is one of my favourite late night and...

this is one of my favourite late night and general Izakaya place in Seattle (not that there are that many to begin with). The Kakuni is to die for! They also have three types of draft Japanese beer on the cheap. They have a wide selection of tasty cooked and raw dishes. One raw tuna rice bowl is incredibly delicious with lots of tuna! Nearly my dream come true.

Traditional Japanese dishes from what I'm...

Traditional Japanese dishes from what I’m told. Lots of unique dishes to try, and I’ve enjoyed it everytime I’ve been there.

Japanese Tapas Asian

jwbnyc

Bs6dy8u8ir25n9abblkses
Kate

Maekawa Bar  Restaurant Reviews

Maekawa Bar is located near the cities of Vancouver, Capitol Hill, Madrona, Madison Park, and Broken Arrow.
People found this by searching for: Maekawa Bar Seattle, Maekawa Bar Seattle Menu, Maekawa Seattle, Maekawa Bar, Maekawa Izakaya, Ikuko Maekawa, Maekawa Bar Menu, and Maekawa Seattle Menu.