Magnolia

Neighborhoods: The Haight
Cuisine: American, Steak, American (New)

Magnolia is a American, Steak, and American (New) restaurant where most Menuism users paid between $10 and $25 and tipped between 15% to 18%.

grubalicioussf photo

grubalicioussf

San Francisco, CA

Magnolia has new chef, service lacks attention to detail

Last week, Magnolia Gastropub and Brewery announced that sous chef Ronnie New is now executive chef. He has already infused New Orleans and Southern influences in dishes such as these on the dinner menu: Bourbon glazed spare ribs with corn bread and potato salad ($19), Bluenose bass with roasted sunchokes, artichokes and beet relish ($20), pan-fried pork chops with red eye gravy and mashed potatoes ($18) and mushroom ravioli with sage brown butter, dino kale and Grana Padano ($15).

Taking advantage of the fact that our daughter was down for a long nap after a fun Easter egg hunt at a friend’s house, and that our son was at Grandpa and Grandma’s house for dinner, my husband and I made our way to the Haight last Sunday to check this place out. We were excited to see that their touted housemade sausages were still on the menu ($12 with two sides). We tried the Portuguese linguisa, a salty, slightly spicy thin sausage that paired well with sides of German potato salad and tender rainbow kale. The bratwurst was okay, we had it with roasted sweet potato and sauerkraut.

Oddly enough, the beers and wine on tap seemed a little off. The two beers we sampled – Big Cypress Brown and Dark Star Mild – tasted almost identical and were lacking malty flavor and depth. And I am not a wine snob, but after an initial taste, I had to send back their special Sutton Cellars “Magnolia Blend” of syrah (60%) and carignane (40%) because it was slightly sour. The Tin Barn zinfandel proved to be a bit better.

As far as service goes, both the bar and kitchen had missteps during our meal for which our server graciously tried to take the blame. My first glass of wine came out completely dirty, covered in lipstick and remnants of pulpy orange juice from brunch-time mimosas. Our server said she saw the bartender wipe my second glass clean, but it still had lipstick on it. And after I inquired about the preparation of one of the dishes, our server asked the kitchen. She came back and explained it would be done one way, but to our surprise, it was prepared another. Hmmm. It was at that point that we decided not to try anything more.

I know Magnolia has a loyal following, so for those individuals, there will be a collaboration dinner with buddies from The Linkery of San Diego on May 11th. It is a beer/salumi “simul-dinner” showcasing cured meats from The Linkery and beers from Magnolia, starting at 5:00 p.m. in both places. Also at Magnolia every Tuesday, house beer is $3 all day. They have fried chicken on Thursdays starting at 5:00 p.m. until they run out, and Ronnie’s Beer Dinners happen every last Wednesday of the month featuring a three-course dinner with beer pairings.

Overall, the sausages and sides were good, but the rest of the experience was less than impressive. Unfortunately, I’m not going to rush back to try the new menu, sorry chef New! It’s sort of like comparing apples and oranges, but if my husband and I were in the neighborhood, we would definitely grab a seat at the bar at The Alembic instead. The food there is amazing, and they have a fun and unusual wine and beer list. But that’s another review…

Portuguese linguisa at Magnolia

Portuguese linguisa

This was the tastiest dish we tried, and I enjoyed the rainbow kale and German potato salad as sides. It was presented in a more aesthetic way than I expected, and was well prepared. It had a lot more flavor than the bratwurst although I imagine some people may find the linguisa too salty, but I really enjoyed it. I suppose they hope you’ll drink more beer with it. It’s ashame that the beverages we had really paled in comparison, and that the kitchen and bar made signifcant mistakes along the way. As a result, the linguisa and those sides aren’t enough of a draw in and of themselves. I’ll be heading elsewhere.

June 22, 2009

They destroyed all of the paintings!

They painted over all of the paintings with some awful gold paint! I just heard the word from my girlfriend who went there today. She was so sick she couldn't stay. It seems like some idiot bought the place and remodeled it to look like…
April 28, 2009

Beer Good - Food Bad

How can anyone eat here, unless of course they are so drunk from the delicious beer that they don't realize the 40 minute wait for food or the poor quality and crazy high prices. I like the beer, not love but a strong like. No one can…

House of Prime Rib

Asian in Haight-Ashbury

Coffee to the People

Coffeehouse in Haight-Ashbury

9/22/2017

An Irish chowhound from San Francisco, CA tried United Irish Cultural Center in Outer Sunset.

9/21/2017

An American chowhound from Midvale, UT tried Dante's Seafood Grill in Fisherman's Wharf.

9/19/2017

An Italian chowhound from San Francisco, CA tried Pazzia Restaurant & Pizzeria in SoMa and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.

9/18/2017

A Chinese food lover from Pomona, CA tried Kirin Chinese Restaurant in Central Richmond.

9/18/2017

A diner from US tried Jim Georgie's Donuts in Portola, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

9/15/2017

A Halal food lover from San Francisco, CA tried Pakwan, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

9/15/2017

A diner from TX tried Christophe (CLOSED) in Downtown.

9/15/2017

A dining patron from San Francisco, CA tried Lafayette Coffee Shop in Downtown and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.

9/11/2017

A diner from Atlanta, GA tried Kokkari Estiatorio in Northern Waterfront.

9/11/2017

A dining patron from Los Angeles, CA tried Miz Brown's Restaurant in Laurel Heights.

American Steak Good For Kids
Tips
  • You can usually find a spot in the Haight, but only after patient circling; luckily the 6,7, 71 and 44 MUNI lines stop right in front of the restaurant.
  • The booths are cozy but a little cramped. Grab a seat at the communal table, or one of the two-tops near the window for great people watching.

Magnolia  Restaurant Reviews

Magnolia is located near the cities of Hayes Valley, Mission District, , Chinatown, and Haight Ashbury.
People found this by searching for: Kona Shores Ice Cream Haight And Ashbury, Magnolia Sf, Magnolia San Francisco Restaurant, Magnolia Sf Menu, Magnolia Restaurant San Francisco, Magnolia In Hayes St Sf, and Magnolia Haight.