6732 W Fairview Ave
Milwaukee, WI 53213-3937

Maxie's

(Near the intersection of W Fairview Ave and N 68th St/S 68th St)

Neighborhoods: Bluemound Heights
Cuisine: Cajun/Creole, Southern, American

Maxie's is a Cajun/Creole, Southern, and American restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 2/21/2018

A dining patron from Cincinnati, OH tried it and liked it.

• 6/14/2016

A Cajun/Creole food lover from Jackson, WI tried it.

• 3/11/2016

A dining patron from Oconomowoc, WI tried it.

• 7/28/2015

A dining patron from Cortland, NY tried it.

• 7/23/2015

A Cajun/Creole food lover from Burlington, WI tried it.

• 5/29/2015

A Cajun/Creole food lover from Dallas, TX tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 5/17/2015

jeffatbcl photo

jeffatbcl

Slinger, WI

First poor experience

I’ve been to Maxie’s many times before and have always had good service and food. I went for dinner as a party of 5 on 10/19/14 and unfortunately experienced very slow service from the time it took to get seated and for the server to take our order.

It appeared that a server may have been sent home because many of the tables in the section we were seated were reset as people left but we were not seated. We noticed that 2 other parties that arrived after us were seated before us. The server took 15-20 minutes to come take our order after we were given menus. Perhaps the restaurant has become complacent after being highly rated.

That being said, my food was good. My favorite has been the shrimp and grits but this time I tried the Brisket and substituted Mac ’n Cheese for fries and thoroughly enjoyed it. We tasted the house wine which seemed like the bottle had been opened several days ago. Went for a bottle of cab instead.

bwrighterbee photo

bwrighterbee

Milwaukee, WI

Good food, long wait, loud atmosphere

I have been to Maxie’s three or four times and all but once the wait was ungodly long. They don’t take reservations so unless you have a lot of patience or a strong urge for southern comfort food you may want to pass this place by.

The food itself is very good. The ribs are fantastic as are the shrimp and grits. The chicken fried chicken has a spicy gravy that while not traditional is a great unique twist to the classic.

It is important to note this restaurant is quite loud, it sounds like 200 chickens clucking in the background and you won’t be able to hear you dinner companions. If you enjoy a barnyard ambiance you will love it, if not it is a bit overwhelming.

Shrimp & Grits gulf shrimp, rich & spicy tasso sauce, over yellow grits 1/2 order

LeAnnJ photo

LeAnnJ

Good Food, Great Atmosphere

I took a group of about 14 people to Maxie’s on a weeknight and the place was indeed hopping! Our hostess was very friendly and accommodating and had assigned two servers to take care of us (thank you!) prior to our arrival. In addition to the regular menu, there were several specials that night to select from, making it kind of a tough choice to pick just one! I settled on the crab remoulade (?) which was very satisfying – served with cole slaw on the side. I also sampled the pulled pork and sweet potato fries (yum!!) that a fellow diner had ordered as I was also leaning in that direction for my meal. Portion sizes were generous, but not ridiculously so. The highlight of the evening was dessert – of which I indulged in a slice of delicious coconut cream pie. So good!
I highly recommend Maxie’s if you are in the mood for some good southern cooking! I will definitely make it a point to go back!

TinaMilwaukee photo

TinaMilwaukee

Brown Deer, WI

O So Yummy

We were seated promptly and well attended to by our waiter. I love the decor. Red and black beams make the space cozy and inviting. Two bars one on the first floor and one on the second floor indicates that the owners understand the importance of obtaining your libations promptly. The menus are simple and one page. It makes it easy to make a quick decision. The meals were artfully presented. While I didn’t try the mussels I watched them be inhaled by a fellow diner in 5 minutes flat. Given that there were at least a couple of dozen in the bowl I would say that dish is a true winner.

Maxie’s Mighty-Mighty Gumbo

I loved the flovor profile of this dish. It was smoky and complex. What I didn’t like was all the rice. I am not much of a rice fan in general. If I could order it without rice I would certainly order it again.

This is a must have item. The grits are wonderfully creamy and buttery. The Tasso sauce is rather spicy. If you are sensitive to spice I would suggest ordering it on the side. The shrimp weren’t really that great. In the future I would order it without the shrimp as a side for $4.95.

irineo photo

irineo

coulda woulda shoulda

The food while tasty is ALWAYS COLD. Can’t figure it out, the kitchen is 10 feet away, so it must just sit in the window. The bartenders ignore you, but make great drinks. Only true southern cooking in the city, so I’ll go back

davinci_fan photo

davinci_fan

Lannon, WI

Maxie's Southern Comfort - very relaxing

Excellent dining menu. Classy, but fun. Great place for something special – and not too expensive. Very busy place, so prepare to relax with a cocktail or two before being seated with a group of 3 or more.

Don’t judge this place by the exterior. I would’ve never given this a try if friends hadn’t recommended it.

Parking can be a bit tricky, but there is a small lot across the street.

Totally awesome dessert presentation!  - Maxie's Chocolate Marquise Cake at Maxie's

Maxie's Chocolate Marquise Cake

Although the presentation was fun and the chocolate very dark, the cake part was noticeably dry. One odd thing: another person at our table ordered the same dessert, but his serving was twice the size of mine. Although I can’t complain, because I don’t think I’d have eaten more than I did since it wasn’t really that good.

While this wasn’t the best choice for my first visit, I’ll definitely come back and try something different… like the Banana Chocolate Coconut Cream Pie which looked extremely exquisite.

eryngo photo

eryngo

Milwaukee, WI

Come hungry... whatever you get, it will be huge

The menu is what lured me in… unique and creative; but rather disappointing once we actually got our food. But if nothing else, I learned from this experience: do not discriminate against tartar sauce, and don’t dismiss a champagne cocktail so easily!

Champagne Cocktail

The bartender ran down the list of Happy Hour specials and when I heard the word “champagne,” I tuned out. But the other options were a vodka martini (I prefer gin) or a rum drink (whiskey for me), so when we got our second round, I decided to give this champagne thing a try. Not being a fan of fru-fru drinks, I was a little mortified that it was actually served in a champagne glass but after the first sip, I couldn’t have cared less! Described as being a mimosa with brandy, I tilt my glass to the genius who came up with this tasty, not-too-sweet concoction… and proceeded to order two more by the end of our meal.

Crispy Fried Housemade Pickles at Maxie's

Crispy Fried Housemade Pickles

The general consensus in our group was that these are better than the ones served at Palomino, but I think they do not top the one’s at Ella’s Deli (Madison).

Fried Green Tomatoes at Maxie's

Fried Green Tomatoes

Pretty good, but I think they’re more interesting just for the novelty of them

Hominy Fritters at Maxie's

Hominy Fritters

These were listed as an appetizer on the Nightly Specials board, and we all immediately decided they had to be tried. Very good!

Damn-Good Fresh Fish Fry (Cod) at Maxie's

Damn-Good Fresh Fish Fry (Cod)

One of my friends and I have an unspoken deal when we go out for fish… I give her my tartar sauce and she hands over her lemons. Well, never again! The tartar sauce at Maxie’s is amazing… unfortunately, it was the most exciting thing on my plate. The fish, fries, coleslaw- all of it- unseasoned and bland. No amount of malt vinegar helped my fries, and no amount of lemon could save the fish. And I wish I had thought to order the rwb slaw instead of the creamy version… red, white and bleu coleslaw could have livened things up a bit.

godivagal223 photo

godivagal223

Milwaukee, WI

Good mix of Southern Favorites..

Good mix of Southern Favorites… It’s really hard to find Fried Green tomatoes anywhere and this hit my craving. The downstairs is where its at if you like the noisy restaurant atmosphere. Upstairs is nice and homey and much quieter. I loved the $3 martini specials they had that night too! I will for sure go back!

lvhiphop photo

lvhiphop

Interesting menu, nice ambiance

I’ve eaten at Maxie’s twice now, both times with a group of 6+. Its always crowded so you need a reservation. The nice thing is there is a decent sized free parking lot just across the street and also street parking.
One of the best things about Maxie’s is their interesting specials menu. Each time I’ve been there for dinner their specials have been extensive as well as somewhat exotic.
One night they had skate on the menu. I didn’t even know what it was LOL! Someone in my party ordered it and it was very tasty.
Be sure to try the sweet potato fries with the creme fraiche. Their traditional Southern recipes like jambalaya and gumbo are very good as well.
They also often have drink specials/happy hour and you can have appetizers and drinks at the bar.
The service was good although they are quite busy so you may have to wait for a table even with a reservation.

Sweet Potato Fries

Nice and crispy but never greasy. The appetizer is plenty for 2 people although they are so good you may not want to share!

Cajun/Creole Southern American

Maxie's  Restaurant Reviews

Maxie's is located near the cities of Milwaukee County.
People found this by searching for: Maxie's Southern Comfort, Maxie's Southern Comfort Desserts, Maxie's Southern Comfort Menu, Maxie's Southern Comfort Milwaukee, Maxies Southern Comfort Milwaukee, Rwb Slaw, and Maxie's Restaurant.