108 W. Kinzie

HeatherHart photo

HeatherHart

Grayslake, IL

One fabulous fiesta

My advice? Eat. Here. Tonight. You won’t be disappointed. With the bustling staff, thumping music and trendy decor you’d expect this Mexican hot-spot to be full of itself… but it’s not. It’s a wonderful jaunt through fabulous food without pretention, and all at a reasonable price.
I couldn’t have been more pleased with our date night – we had 6:15pm reservations on a Saturday night and the place was certainly filling up, though the couple of walk-ins right after of us got seats without a wait. (UNheardof in the suburbs where we reside!) The dining area was certainly crowded with tables and at first I felt like we were sitting on top of the group next to us, but with the festive atmosphere and loud music we really didn’t have those awkward ‘over hearing the next table’s conversation’ moments.
Our waiter was not only truly knowledgeable of the menu but he was also attentive and willing to accomodate our needs (what kind of ceviche is pregnancy-friendly? what about a non-alcoholic margarita?) The plates themselves come out of the kitchen as soon as their ready and are aimed toward sharing, making the meal feel a little more adventurous and intimate at the same time.
We started with drinks and you certainly don’t want to miss out there – the selection is delicious and my alcohol-free strawberry had a divinely spicy salt on the rim, a perfect balance to the sweet beverage itself.
Both guacamoles were fantastic though my favorite was the traditional, I wish I could make it that good at home. I would recommend everything we tried, which makes me think there probably isn’t a bad thing on the menu… flautas, pastor tacos (my FAVORITE dish of the evening, other tacos I’ve called my fav now pale in comparison), camarón ceviche – I cannot wait to go back and try some more!

iPhone dining journal

Mexican theme. Chicken tacos were excellent....

Mexican theme. Chicken tacos were excellent. Different salsas and guacamole. Drinks were good. Nice atmosphere.

Chicken taco

March 15, 2014

Shrimp Tacos are delicious, Brussels Sprouts are delicious. Wish they would bring back the Chicken tacos with corn.

La Cazuela Mariscos

Mexican in New City

Fonda del Mar

Mexican in Logan Square

1/18/2019

A Steakhouse food lover from Rockford, IL tried George Diamond Steak House (CLOSED) in South Loop.

1/17/2019

A diner from Willowbrook, IL tried La Milanese Special Deli in Bridgeport.

1/15/2019

A dining patron from Chicago, IL tried Boom Fried Rice in West Garfield Park, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
Plain fried rice
1/14/2019

A diner from Chicago, IL tried Shark's Fish & Chicken in South Loop and liked it.

1/14/2019

An Italian food lover from Elmhurst, IL tried Roma's Village Bar & Grill in South Chicago.

1/14/2019

A dining patron from US tried MacArthur's in Austin and liked it. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

1/13/2019

A Pizza chowhound from Park Ridge, IL tried Nary's Grill & Pizza in Brighton Park.

1/13/2019

A Chinese chowhound from US tried Ho Ho Chop Suey in Auburn Gresham and liked it.

1/13/2019

A dining patron from Chicago, IL tried John's Drive In in West Englewood, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

1/11/2019

A diner from Chicago, IL tried Mr Steer Steak House in Portage Park, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Mexican Organic Brunch
Tips
  • Although the tacos come four to an order, they're nowhere near full-sized; a reasonably hungry person could put away eight without breaking a sweat. If you want to taste a variety of types, bring some friends and mix and match several orders.
  • New York-based cocktail consultants the Tippling Bros. created Mercadito's list of 12 tequila-based drinks, from a textbook margarita to a concoction called Big Nose Goes to Mexico, which arrives at your table ablaze. Prefer your tequila straight-up, without pyrotechnics? There are about 70 types, from light to extra-aged.
  • The party really gets going after 9pm, but a word to the wise: If you arrive after midnight, expect an edited-down version of the regular dinner menu.

Mercadito  Restaurant Reviews

Mercadito is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Whats The Best Thing On Mercadito's Menu, Mercadito Chicago Drink Menu, Does Mercadito Use Msg, Mercadito Restaurant Chicago, Mercadito In Chicago Waiters Are Hot, Mercadito Reviews Chicago, Mercadito Chicago Chicago Il, Mercadito Drink Menu Chicago, and The Potash Restaurant.