2034 Kingsley Ave
Orange Park, FL 32073

Metro Diner

Cuisine: Diner, American Traditional, Chicken

Metro Diner is a Diner, American Traditional, and Chicken restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.

• 5/20/2017

P1nk16 tried it.

p1nk16 photo

p1nk16

Orange Park, FL

Soul of the South

We don’t frequent Metro as much as we could/should and it’s a newer edition to the Orange Park area; just a couple years old. I had always ever experienced the one at Jax Beach coming off night shift. We have been to this location in OP a few times now, but always at breakfast time and never at dinner. Metro Diner started in Jax yet has now expanded up the East Coast of the US.
It wasn’t nearly as busy as it is during breakfast. Those are peak hours and you can expect a wait, even if you’re there at 8am! But our service was fast and our server, friendly.
My daughter got the Kid’s Platter – scrambled eggs, bacon, and choice of hash browns or home fries or Grits with a side of toast. She opted for hash browns but loves Grits so I got her a side of those too!
I chose the Charleston Shrimp & Grits and it arrived steaming hot. My daughter taste tested it and described it as Clam Chowder…and she’s not wrong. There were plenty of Shrimp, they were absolutely fresh and I highly doubt they were previously frozen. And there was plenty of Shrimp! The grits was Metro’s spin – they were more like Grit Cakes. The grits appeared to be cheesy with bits of red pepper, and then formed into a square which were fried. Two squares in the midst of the “chowder.” I really didn’t like the fried breeding and so I annihilated the cakes and did my best to free the grits from their fried prison. There was plenty of andouille sausage, I saw two (haha) kernels of corn, some peppers, bacon (though there is never such a thing as too much bacon), and it was garnished with green onions. Overall, it was quite good – once I freed the grits. If there’s a way to get them sans fries grit cakes, I’ll totally do that next time! Though I had my eye on a few other menu items I’d like to try!
*The Chicken & Waffles I’ve had on previous visits – LOVE IT!

Charleston Shrimp & Grits

Next time, I’ll free from grits from their cake-prison and get this dish over loose grits!

Breakfast/Brunch Diner American Traditional

Metro Diner  Restaurant Reviews

Metro Diner is located near the cities of Bellair Meadowbrook Terrace, Lakeside, Mandarin, and Jacksonville Naval Air Station.