14310 Culver Dr Ste E
Irvine, CA 92604-0308

Mochilato

Neighborhoods: Walnut
Cuisine: Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt, Coffee & Tea

Mochilato is a Frozen Yogurt, Ice Cream & Frozen Yogurt, and Coffee & Tea restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends and paid less than $10.

Overall
Pros
"Fast service and very kid friendly. Nice workers. "
  • 4/03/2019

A Frozen Yogurt chowhound from Aliso Viejo, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 9/12/2018

A diner from Los Angeles, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Fast service and very kid friendly. Nice workers.
  • 5/25/2017

A diner from Montebello, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 3/18/2017

A diner from Irvine, CA tried it and liked it.

• 6/05/2016

A diner from AZ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 6/04/2016

A diner from Fullerton, CA tried it.

• 4/03/2016

A Frozen Yogurt food lover from Encinitas, CA tried it.

• 1/02/2016

A Frozen Yogurt food lover from Irvine, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 8/28/2015

A Frozen Yogurt food lover from CA tried it and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.

• 3/11/2014

A diner from San Jose, CA tried it.

mercurialvapor24 photo

mercurialvapor24

Irvine, CA

A Mixture of Japanese and Italian Goodness

A couple of months ago my sister took me to a new dessert place that she said her friend’s aunt had opened, and apparently a bunch of her friends were working there (one was the manager). Anyways, I thought it was just another ice cream palce that we were going to because we felt sorry for her friends who weren’t getting any business, but I was WRONG.

The place is large, well lighted, and has big tables. The reason I mention this is because most other dessert places I’ve frequent (Yogurt Land/World, boba places, Guppy’s, etc) are incredibly cramped and you end up walking around the curb outside eating your dessert in a big group like those Asian gangs. Anyways, it’s really nice to have a place to sit, even with a group of 8 people. And there’s a CS Lewis quote on the wall.

The mochi (filled with gelato) are very good, and worth a taste. But what I keep coming back for is the shaved ice. I’ve been to a couple of shaved ice places before (all of them were korean too, btw, dunno why) but this is one of my favorite places. The ice is light and melts easily, as opposed to other places like Guppy’s. Also, there are three options. Japanese style, Italian style, or Mochilato way, which is a mixture of both. The ice is green tea and strawberry flavored, and comes with numerous toppings (including fresh fruits and my favorite mochi bits). The portions are ridonkulously huge like some Korean shaved ice places though, so beware.

tulips500 photo

tulips500

buckets of shaved ice

3.5 stars. after seeing troJane’s review, i decided to check out this place after dinner for a late nite dessert. the mochilato is $expensive$ at $1.25 a pop, but tasty. the gelato though was a bit of a disappointment — not really true gelato. everyone seemed to be sharing shaved ice, and GINORMOUS amounts of it.

if i do come back, it won’t be for the mochilato or gelato, but the shaved ice. on another note, the interior is quite nice and would make a great place to hang out w/some friends.

Mochilato - Coconut

i’m a big fan of coconut, but this was maybe a bit too much coconut flavored gelato packed into a tiny mochi.

Gelato - Creme Brulee

this gelato isn’t of true gelato consistency as it started to melt not too soon after i sat down. it was disappointing, but still tasted good for what it was.

troJane photo

troJane

Cerritos, CA

My New Favorite

This newly opened dessert boutique features (as their name proclaims) mochilato.

Mochilato = Mochi + Gelato
..pretty much a scoopful of their intense gelato wrapped in perfectly soft & chewy mochi rice cake. Reminiscent of Miyakawa (trader joe, costco) but turns out they’re franchised under Miyakawa. hehe

Also available are gelato, baked desserts, candies, tea, coffee, and what they are now being popular for… koreanized shaved ice. They also have plain & green tea frozen yogurt for fanatics such as me.

The interior is quite beautiful… chic, cozy, and clean… with large dark wood tables & good lighting. This mochilatos, albeit overpriced at $1.25 each, is worth it. Everyone else was eating the shaved ice, so I’ll be back to try that. It looked like flavored ice atop some gelato and sprinkled with fresh fruit & mochi cake

It’s totally worth the 20 mile drive, but i’ll drive anywhere for good food.

Frozen Yogurt

Available in 3 sizes. You can order plain or green tea. Of course, i got plain. But I highly recommend not eating the frozen yogurt after the intensely flavor packed mochilatos. The yogurt ends up tasting like sour milk for the first 3 minutes.

Mochilato - Peach & Cream

ocfooddiva photo

ocfooddiva

Anaheim, CA

Beard Papa’s serving up “eatertainment” cream puffs in Irvin

In December 2011, our dream became a reality when Beard Papa’s opened a store in Irvine. I was a little confused as the location kept saying, “Mochilato”. Once I saw the Beard Papa’s sign on the window, I was so there! Beard Papa’s occupies a small section inside the Mochilato store. While the store displays some pricey specialty items, the unmistakable aroma of the Beard Papa’s cream puffs reminded us of Vancouver. We placed our order with the courteous staff but had to wait a bit while they dealt with an empty or malfunctioning custard tank. A little bit of “Opening Night Jitters,” maybe? That was a little disappointing hiccup in prep and presentation. Once our order was filled, they lovingly boxed our selections. Just a few steps away were long wooden tables where we had our coffee and Beard Papa’s delights.

Beard Papa's Cocoa Cream Puff with Chocolate Filling

As I sat down to eat a Cocoa shell with Chocolate filling, savoring the fresh baked scent of the cream puff, I was ALMOST back in Vancouver. As I bit into it, the chocolate puff was crisp and divine, but the chocolate filling was a bit too viscous and messy, unlike the custard I had expected. The Vancouver puff filling was easier to eat without having it squirt every which way.

Beard Papa's Eclair Cream Puff with Vanilla filling

When I went home with my box of puffs, I tried a different method of conquering the soft filling. This time, I chose the Éclair puff with Vanilla filling. I tilted it with the filling hole facing upward and broke a piece of the shell off. Instead of biting into it, I simply broke off pieces of the shell and dipped it in to the filling. That solved the “mess” problem. The Éclair shell is divine and decadent, kind of like a cruller with chocolate icing on top. The Vanilla filling, unfortunately, fell short of my expectation. It seemed to be a watered-down version of the Vanilla custard I first tried in Vancouver.

Mochi Frozen Yogurt Trendy
Sun-Sat 10:00AM - 12:00AM

Mochilato  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Mochilato Irvine Hours, Mochilato, Restaurants Walnut, Irvine, Mochilato Irvine, Mochilato Menu, Mochilato Irvine Menu, モチラート, Mochilato Hours, and Mochilato Irvine, Ca.