9809 W 60th Ave
Arvada, CO 80004-4947

Monterrey House

Neighborhoods: Alta Vista Area
Cuisine: Lunch, Breakfast, Cafe

Monterrey House is a Lunch, Breakfast, and Cafe restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.

Overall
Pros
"Fast service really friendly people and great food"
"It's super fast and delicious..following goes back 30 years. Delicious comfort food.."
  • 8/18/2018

• 8/23/2017

A dining patron from US tried it.

• 4/01/2017

A Lunch food lover from US tried it.

• 11/09/2015

A Lunch food lover from Denver, CO tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 11/07/2015

A dining patron from Arvada, CO tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Fast service really friendly people and great food
  • 12/24/2014

A dining patron from San Jose, CA tried it.

• 12/21/2014

A Lunch chowhound from Dallas, TX tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

• 10/17/2014

• 1/12/2014

A dining patron from Dallas, TX tried it and liked it.

• 4/30/2013

A Lunch chowhound from Spring, TX tried it and liked it.

ovolacto photo

ovolacto

Arvada, CO

I still love this place

This isn’t the biggest, the fanciest, or the most popular Mexican restaurant in the area, but, I’ve said it before, and don’t mind saying it again, I like the way this place does business.

For one thing, they serve up the type of Mexican food common to this area, but somehow manage to make it taste both different and better. Maybe I’m prejudiced, but everything just tastes lighter, and fresher, and they do that at better prices, too. The salsa looks pretty much like everyone else’s, but it tastes like no other, and it is good. It has a good flavor, it is hot enough for most, but mild enough for any, and it has a good consistency – it’s neither so runny you can’t keep any on your chip, nor so thick it breaks the chip. It is good stuff, and I really want the recipe.

I hate to say that this place doesn’t have many vegetarian options since they put lard in their beans, but I like the food so much, I ignore that hurdle.

I still know of no restaurant anywhere, sit down or fast food, that gets the food out to the tables faster. They almost have the food on the table before you order it.

The real beauty of this place, however, is the “family” nature of the business. There is always some family member working the place, only family works the kitchen, and, once a year in September, they take the entire month off for vacation. No one seems to mind, and they always get their customers back in October. If you are in the neighborhood, give this place a try.

They will substitute beans for the beef in the taco - Salad Plate at Monterrey House

Salad Plate

I do not know why they call this a salad plate, but there is no salad on it. It comes with a “chalupa,” that looks strangely like what I know as a “tostada,” a taco, a good helping of guacamole, and one, chili con queso. It’s light, inexpensive, and has enough food to satisfy just about anyone.

When we order ours, we substitute beans for the beef in the taco, and they don’t seem to mind the substitution. Also, the chili con queso they serve with this is more like what I grew up with than anything anyone else has. It’s just a tostada shell smeared with a specially made chili/jalapeno spread – very simple, and very good.

For quite a while, Monterrey House did not have their liquor license, so I got used to drinking iced tea with my meal. I still do. It goes well with this entree.

Best salsa in town. - Chips and Salsa at Monterrey House

Chips and Salsa

The salsa, of course, is complementary with your meal, but if you want chips with it, it will cost you $1.50. Pay it – it’s worth it. In my opinion, this salsa has the best flavor of any salsa I’ve ever tasted anywhere. It’s a small, subtle difference, but it is all the difference. I love it! They’ll bring you as much as you want with your meal, and it enhances the flavor of anything it touches. Good stuff, Maynard.

Yummy! - Chili Con Queso at Monterrey House

Chili Con Queso

I put “0” down for the price because I don’t know the price, or even if these can be ordered separately off the menu. I usually get my lone serving with my salad plate, but it really is worth it for me.

This Chili Con Queso tastes exactly like the Chili Con Queso we used to eat as kids. It’s not a dip, and it doesn’t have Chili in it. It is just a cheese spread with added jalapenos smeared on a tostada shell. It is lovely. Try it, you’ll like it!

Colorado Mexican Lunch Breakfast

Monterrey House  Restaurant Reviews

Monterrey House is located near the cities of Berkley, Lakeside, Mountain View, Wheat Ridge, and Anchorage.
People found this by searching for: Monterey House Arvada, Monterey House Mexican Restaurant, Monterey House Queso Recipe, Monterey House 80004, Monterey House Menu, Monterey House Colorado, and Monterey House Arvada Co.