New Delhi Restaurant

(Between Mason St and Cyril Magnin St)

Neighborhoods: Downtown
Cuisine: Indian, Vegetarian, Lunch

New Delhi Restaurant is a Indian, Vegetarian, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

BennyS photo

BennyS

Mountain View, CA

A Must Visit

If you like good food, this place is amazing. If you like Indian food and are in San Francisco, this is simply a must do. I visit San Francisco on business 1-2 times a month and love entertaining at New Delhi. The rogan josh is to die for and the vegetarian dishes are simply unbelievable. Take a taxi. Parking is a problem. I believe that they now have an arrangement with a parking garage as well. Dont miss it!

Sag Paneer

Really good sag paneer, excellent roasted garlic flavor and a great creamy texture with big chunks of cheese. I could eat this every day.

gitagrrl photo

gitagrrl

Quiet spot in downtown

I came here at the end of a long day to have a drink with some friends. We showed up about halfway through the first (!) happy hour and were treated to some lovely nibbly things and mango martinis in the bar. Just what I needed and I didn’t even know it. We wound up staying for dinner and had a great time. Mohammed the chef waited on us himself and made several recommendations that we took him up on. We were not disappointed. This is a great spot to settle in with a chilled glass of something tasty and let the day run off you. Definitely coming back.

Bay Soup

A smooth seafood chowder in a rich cream broth. Shrimp, crab, potatoes and other other good things. A nice starter with winter coming on.

jwbnyc photo

jwbnyc

Seattle, WA

New Delhi is above average

This is no place that I’d go for Indian food. Maybe San Francisco doesn’t have good Indian food, so the claims made on the restaurant web site may not be totally exaggerated. If there’s no good Indian in the city, that could explain the City Search rating, though I’d expect better service.

I live in Seattle, so after two splendid Chinese meals, I was ready for something different. I’ve done Italian on most of my previous trips to San Francisco and I was hoping to keep the spicy level high for another dinner. I asked the concierge at the Westin for a good Indian restaurant and she swore that New Delhi is the best, so off I went.

When I’ve gone to one of ‘the best’ restaurants in San Francisco in the past, I’ve always been blown away. I’ve had some of my best food experiences in this town. So I guess I had pretty high expectations when I arrived at New Delhi.

The dining room is really big and nicely decorated. It definitely gives the feeling of entering a special place. Unfortunately, the hostess acted a little too special – she seemed a tad put out to seat us.

The presentation of the meal was quite nice if a bit ostentatious. If there was a little less ‘attitude’, I would have been more tolerant of being served average quality food. The prices aren’t exorbitant, but they seem high for what you get.

There are so many good restaurants in San Francisco, I guess I’ll save my appetite for Indian for another city.

Fish Goa Curry

I really doubt that the person who made this dish had ever been to Goa. I’ve never had it made with salmon and I now know why.

Lamb Vindaloo

It’s so annoying when the lamb is dry, chewy and flavorless. The curry wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t much of a vindaloo.

Bari Pakoras

The fritters weren’t too greasy, but they were on the bland side.

Ranjita photo

Ranjita

Suprisingly spacious

We went on a week day since a friend told us that the place is packed on the weekends. Apparently they have a new menu. There were plenty of vegetarian options. All of the dishes come with rice and nan bread. We also ordered their mango ice cream for dessert. It’s homemade and really yummy. We ate so much that we could not finish what we ordered. Also the place was cheaper compared to the other restaurants we ate at in San Francisco. It was definitely worth the BART ride to visit here.

Chicken Korma

Very creamy and tangy.

Sag Paneer

Really good paneer. I was told they make it in-house.

CharlotteM16 photo

CharlotteM16

Sacramento, CA

So glad I found this place

Best Indian food in the city. Yes, it is! It’s not heavy or oily or deep fried, and delicious. My absolute favorite is the chicken korma. It comes with juicy chicken, cashew nuts, and golden raisins over saffron rice and all in this lovely coconut milk sauce. They have two happy hours in the bar and validated parking at one of the garages nearby. I would definitely recommend reservations if you go on a weekend. It can get crowded, especially with the theater crowd.

Rogan Josh

Tender chunks of lamb in a flavorful red sauce. Great over the saffron rice.

Chloegrrl photo

Chloegrrl

San Jose, CA

Worth the drive

If you’re hankering for really good Indian food while in the Bay Area, New Delhi Restaurant is a stop you have to make. I got turned on to it years ago by a friend and make a point to go every time I’m in town. Great tandoori barbecue, very fun bar crowd with two happy hours and a real local feel. I get the naan bread and sag paneer every time but the rest of the menu is worth your attention, too. Go and enjoy!

Rogan Josh

Spicy red curry with big chunks of lamb and lots of sauce. Great over the saffron rice and soooo tasty with the hot naan bread.

GuntherL photo

GuntherL

San Francisco, CA

You always come back to your first

Full disclosure: New Delhi Restaurant is the first place I ever had Indian food, nearly 15 years ago. There is of course always going to be a bit of nostalgia on reviewing such a place, but every devotee of every other Indian place in the Bay Area area has become a convert to NDR. Prices are very reasonable and portions are more than enough for leftover meals. Extraordinarily attentive and friendly service, so don’t be afraid to ask for your food spicy if you like it that way, since they’ll never let your water glass run empty. Food is consistently delicious and fresh — great place for vegetarians, as well. I’m anything but a vegetarian, but often get to the end of a meal and realize I ordered completely meat-free

Chicken Tikka Masala

This is New Delhi’s version of butter chicken. But instead of butter, they use cream. So the dish is much more smooth and flavorful and much less oily than you find at other places. They also make a version with paneer instead of chicken, so if you’re vegetarian, they have you covered.

AmaraV photo

AmaraV

Martinez, CA

Good for a mixed crowd

I was in the unenviable position of trying to find a restaurant that could feed carnivores, vegetarians, a vegan and two people who are gluten intolerant. We came here and I can honestly say that everyone left generally happy. The staff was very nice when I explained our “challenges” and made sure that everyone knew what was in everything. And since the food is served family style, no one ended up in the vegetarian ghetto. All the dishes I tried were delicious too.

Chicken Korma

This is one of my favorite Indian dishes and this version was excellent. The curry is mild with cashews and raisins, plus big chunks of chicken. A good gateway dish for Indian newbies.

bv_3 photo

bv_3

Yum!

All I can say from my experience was that it was thoroughly enjoyable. Good food, good atmosphere. Nothing extravagant or amazing, but a good place to go for some quality food.

IbisG photo

IbisG

Sacramento, CA

Consistently the BEST

We have been going to New Delhi Restaurant for the past several years. From the moment you enter, you experience a cultural pleasure. The restaurant surrounds you with the essence of Indian. The wait staff is attentive and friendly. The food is truly a culinary delight. Every dish is prepared in a manner that excites your taste buds. Not sure what to order, Ranjan (the owner) will gladly make suggestions based on finding out a little bit about you. His recommendations have been right on. If you want to experience a consistently outstanding dining experience that is prepared with freshness and pride, New Delhi is the place ~ it is superb!!!

Assorted Tandoori Platter

If you want to try something off the grill but are not sure where to start, go with this. It’s a little of everything brought out screaming hot and sizzling.

Mclift photo

Mclift

Antioch, CA

Great food and a lovely space

Had a craving for something different and came here. The place did NOT disappoint in any way! My husband and I are usually weary of new places, we stick with what we know and like but I’ve already decided what I’m ordering on our next visit and it will definitely be within the week we enjoyed it that much. The staff is so kind, the atmosphere warm, relaxing and – after a glass of wine – moderately elegant :) couldn’t be more happy all around. If you like Indian food or just trying something new of different in general, this place will not leave you unsatisfied and will put a smile on your face. The Tandoori prawns are out of this world!!!! Worth the visit for sure!

Fish Tikka

Spicy – but not overly so – the fish is delivered to your table sizzling on a platter. Have it with fresh nan and chutney and a mango lassi to wash it all down. You’ll be thanking God you have taste buds. Trust me.

tinajean photo

tinajean

Burbank, CA

It’s getting hot in here!!!

While in San Franscico staying at the Hotel Nikko I noticed an Indian restaurant. Since I wasn’t in the mood to walk around to find a place to eat I went in. I love Indian cuisine and was in the mood for something hot and tasty. Because I was eating alone I was seated right away. I reviewed their menu and was pleased to see that it included some historical background on the dishes. I ordered the non- vegetarian plate which included tandoori chicken, seekh kebab, chicken masala, spiced vegetables, nan, dessert, coffee or tea. I figured if I order a dinner platter I would be able to try a sampling of everything that they have to offer. To this day I have found no place that can match their Chicken tandoori. On the menu it talks about their tandoor oven that was brought over from India. It also says to ask the waiter to escort you to the kitchen so you can see it so I did. You think I was going to leave without a peek? To my surprise they escorted me to their kitchen and I met the chef and his assistant. I have never seen an authentic tandoor oven. They had two of them and I was surprised how hot it gets. A tandoor oven is a cylindrical clay oven used in cooking and baking The chef demonstrated how to cook nan. He placed the nan on the wall of the oven and within a second it was cooked. He asked me to give it a try but I chickened-out. That oven is hot and I wasn’t going to risk burning myself. Just placing my hand over it, I felt my skin melting. How they do that everyday is beyond me. It was a fun, informative and tasty meal but one warning: the first glass of tea is included in the dinner special but after that re-fills are charged by the glass which is not mentioned on their menu.

non-vegetarian plate

Includes tandoori chicken, seekh kebab, chicken masala, spiced vegetables, nan, dessert, coffee or tea. Best Tandoor chicken ever

Indian Union Square Vegetarian
Tips
  • Three-dollar beers, well drinks and house wines are served with complimentary appetizers from 4pm-6pm and 10pm-12am.
  • Work in the business? Ask for $1 off each drink on Fri-Sat ("service-industry nights").
Mon-Sat 11:30AM - 02:00PM
Mon-Sat 05:30PM - 10:00PM
Sun 05:30PM - 10:00PM
Ranjan photo
Ranjan, the Owner, says:

Named one of the finest Indian Restaurants in the US by New York Times and featured on the Galloping Gourmet TV Show, New Delhi is the place to dine. Decorated like a Maharajah’s private banquet room, the restaurant serves cuisine made from recipes culled from the royal Indian menus dating back 300 to 400 years using the freshest local ingredients. Chef and owner, Ranjan Dey, star of PBS show – “MY INDIA” creates daily specials with his six gourmet spice blends, available nation wide in gourmet specialty stores under New World Spices (see our website for details). New Delhi Bar has been the favorite hot spot for many, working in the downtown, restaurant and hotel industry, since its inception in 1988. It is famous for its “Double-Happiness-Happy Hour” featuring complimentary appetizers. The first from 4 to 6pm and the second from 10 to 12 midnight – because not everybody works 9 to 5! New Delhi is a great place to try inventive cocktails like Madras Madness or Oh! Calcutta.

From CityGrid:

New Delhi Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

New Delhi Restaurant is located near the cities of Hayes Valley, Mission District, , Chinatown, and Haight Ashbury.
People found this by searching for: "New Delhi Restaurant" San Francisco, New Delhi Restaurant, New Delhi Restaurant San Francisco, New Delhi Restaurant San Francisco Yelp, New Delhi Best Restaurant, New Delhi San Francisco Yelp, Rogan Aunty New Delhi Escorts, and All Paneer Recepi &Menu List Food.Com.