Nick's Taste of Texas

Neighborhoods: Covina-Valley
Cuisine: American, Catering, Lunch

Nick's Taste of Texas is a American, Catering, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped less than 15%.

Overall
Pros
"Delicious fajitas! "
"Very good food and service. Best home made tortillas!!"
"Delicious brisket tacos...and flour tortillas"
  • 7/27/2017

A dining patron from Fontana, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 1/21/2017

An American chowhound from Pomona, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 2/21/2015

A dining patron from Los Angeles, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Delicious fajitas!
  • 8/31/2014

An American food lover from San Jose, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Very good food and service. Best home made tortillas!!
  • 6/17/2014

A dining patron from Dallas, TX tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Delicious brisket tacos...and flour tortillas
  • 11/09/2013

An American chowhound from Los Angeles, CA tried it and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.

pleasurepalate photo

pleasurepalate

Not So Tasty at Nick's Taste of Texas

Although I consider myself a carnivore, craving something as substantial as a steak or bbq is more the exception than the rule, but one day, I had a hankering for bbq something. I wasn’t sure what protein that bbq would come in, but I just wanted what I wanted. However, in my neck of the woods, there weren’t too many options available until I remembered Nick’s Taste of Texas. I did an online search, found the menu and saw exactly what I was in the mood for, BBQ Beef Brisket.

For some reason, Nick’s Taste of Texas didn’t seem big from the outside, but when you walked inside, it was a large open space with long communal tables from one end of the room to the other. To order, you go up to the counter, get a number and than get your food when your number is called. My niece who came with me ordered the chicken soup while I went for the BBQ Beef Brisket and for dessert, we decided to share a funnel cake.

While waiting, there’s a self-serve chip and salsa bar to get your appetite going. I think there were only 2 or 3 salsas to choose from, but the one I ended up getting was pretty fresh tasting and had a nice kick to it.

Finally, the food arrived. My niece’s chicken soup was enough for 2 people and came with tortillas and Mexican fried rice. She’s generally a picky eater and usually doesn’t even eat soup, so I was surprised that this was the dish she ordered; however, she said she liked it. Looking at it, without tasting it, I have to say that they were generous with their vegetables and the broth looked clear and light, so that’s a good sign.

When it came to the BBQ Beef Brisket, it wasn’t anything exciting. I know that beef brisket is a cheaper cut of meat that requires a slow cooking time to make it tender and for the most part, the brisket was tender but the meat itself didn’t really taste “beefy” enough. In fact, it tasted kind of blah. As for the BBQ sauce, it had little bit of a tangy sweetness to it that I liked, but there was really no flavor punch to it. It just seemed one note to me. Suffice to say, I gave in to my craving, but wasn’t satisified.

The real highlight of that meal were the tortillas. Those are some of the best flour tortillas I’ve ever had. They were thick, soft and fluffy. On their own, they’d be good with pats of butter or dipped into salsa as an appetizer or a snack. As for the other sides, neither the beans or salad merited any excitement.

I had high hopes for dessert. After all, how can you mess funnel cake? Unfortunately, they did. They served us funnel cake that was over-fried. I should have just returned it and asked for a fresh order that was a bit more golden brown, but wasn’t sure if we’d still get the same results. Maybe, the cook thought the funnel cake was suppose to be more of a caramel brown? At least, the soup was supposed good and the tortillas were fantastic.

I don’t have any plans to return to Nick’s Taste of Texas anytime soon. It’s disappointing to be really in the mood for something and than be let down. If and when that craving comes back, I’ll just have to look elsewhere.

Chicken Soup with Rice and Tortillas at Nick's Taste of Texas

Chicken Soup with Rice and Tortillas

Looking at it, without tasting it, I have to say that Nick’s was generous with their vegetables and the broth looked clear and light, so that’s a good sign. My niece apparently liked it.

BBQ Beef Brisket at Nick's Taste of Texas

BBQ Beef Brisket

Flour Tortillas at Nick's Taste of Texas

Flour Tortillas

Funnel Cake at Nick's Taste of Texas

Funnel Cake

May 30, 2004

Finally a place closer to home

Nick's Taste of Texas' new location in the heart of downtown Covina is awesome! This Tex-Mex eatery offers wonderful service, great food, and exciting entertainment monthly. Finally a place tp call home on the weekends without having to…
March 24, 2003

Oh the Sweet Taste of Texas

What can I say, this place scores a perfect 10 from me. My whole family is from Texas and this place has definately caught the very essence of the state. GREAT BBQ, Tacos etc. Large portions, Cheap beer, Cheap prices, great atmosphere,…

1/14/2018

An American Traditional food lover from Los Angeles, CA tried Silver Spoon Restaurant.

1/08/2018

A diner from US tried BB's Cafe.

1/04/2018

A Japanese food lover from West Covina, CA tried Hayakawa in Covina-Valley.

12/13/2017

A dining patron from South Pasadena, CA tried Danny's Kosher Pickle in Covina-Valley, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

12/04/2017

A Soul Food chowhound from US tried BB's Cafe, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
Tasty food that is carefully prepared, positive ambiance, friendly and capable staff, wonderful music, good prices. A gem of an enterprise.
Cons
None!
Comments
So glad I stopped there. It was a delightful place to have a filling meal.
11/16/2017

A Pizza chowhound from Azusa, CA tried Santas Pizza, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
cheap good pizza boom
Cons
no cons. great pizza. great job.
Comments
Na
11/11/2017

A dining patron from US tried Rice Express, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

11/09/2017

A Chinese food lover from Pasadena, CA tried Buffet China in Covina-Valley, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
I REALLY LIKE THE VARIETY AND I LIKE THAT THEY ADDED A SUSHI BAR
11/05/2017

A Soul Food food lover from Los Angeles, CA tried BB's Cafe.

11/01/2017

A diner from Los Angeles, CA tried Georgie's Meditteranean in Covina.

American Parking Outdoor seating
Mon,Wed-Thu 11:00AM - 09:00PM

Nick's Taste of Texas  Restaurant Reviews

Nick's Taste of Texas is located near the cities of Citrus, Charter Oak, Irwindale, Azusa, and West Covina.
People found this by searching for: Nick's Taste Of Texas, Bbq Restaurants, Does Nicks Taste Of Texas Have A Pool Table?, Taste Of Texas Covina Menu, Nicks Taste Of Texas, Taste Of Texas In Covina, and Taste Of Texas Covina California.