1201 N Pennsylvania Ave
Oklahoma City, OK 73107

Nic's Grill

Neighborhoods: Youngs-Englewood
Cuisine: Burgers, Breakfast, American Traditional

Nic's Grill is a Burgers, Breakfast, and American Traditional restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.

Pros
"e.g. apple pie, fast service, kid-friendly, etc...the food man"
  • 3/03/2018

A diner from Edmond, OK tried it.

• 2/05/2015

A dining patron from Atlanta, GA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    e.g. apple pie, fast service, kid-friendly, etc...the food man
  • 10/03/2013

• 3/19/2013

A Burgers chowhound from US tried it and liked it.

GregS18348 photo

GregS18348

Blue Ash, OH

The Best Fried Burger I Ever Ate

To say that I have now had the best flat-top grilled burger of my life at Nic’s would not be an understatement. Nic’s is truly the definition of a “Hole-in-the-Wall” place, and one I would never would have known about had it not been for it having been featured on an episode of “Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives”.
Nic’s is only open Monday through Friday, and only from 7am to 2pm. No Saturdays, Sundays or Holidays. Standing in line to get in is not uncommon. In light of these facts, you can see that to have the chance to eat here is a difficult thing to do unless you are unemployed, retired or work in the nearby neighborhood. Fortuitous circumstances gave me a late start to my work day, and thus the opportunity to eat here. I arrived around 10:30, and as there were four open seats at the counter, I must have fit in between the breakfast and lunch rush. The remaining seats filled within a minute of my having sat down. There are eight seats at the counter, four more at two small tables and four at a window counter. That makes a total of sixteen with no room to turn around.
Once seated, I was asked by Nic’s server what I would like to drink (they have Coke products), and what I wanted to eat. Lunch items are limited to a burger (with several additive choices), or the daily special. Friday’s special is meatloaf, locally renowned and supposedly excellent. I was told that meatloaf wasn’t available that day, as Nic slept in a little that morning and didn’t quite manage to get it made. I went with the cheeseburger, and since I could see that the burgers are huge here, I passed on the fries. Prepared directly in front of you, there is a constant stack of fresh hamburger meat sizzling on the grill, as well as a six or eight pound pile of white onions caramelizing nearby. Mayo and mustard (ketchup is on the counter), lettuce, pickles, tomato and grilled onions are standard. For an additional 40 cents (each), you can add jalapeno, mushrooms or Swiss cheese. Bacon is $1.25, but Nic is generous with the thick sliced bacon.
The burger arrived steamin’ hot off the grill, in a basket, and it is indeed huge. So big, in fact, that the expectation is that you will have to eat it with a fork. One is supplied with every burger as a matter of course. I was one of the few apparently able to eat it “traditional style”, using just my hands. I knew on the first bite that this was the best fried burger of my life. The burger was cooked medium to medium well, and was wonderfully seasoned. I sensed something besides salt (garlic powder perhaps) nestled in the burger. The meat was magnificent in texture. Soft, but nicely held together. The real American cheese glistened as it oozed off the burger. It was dressed with an abundance of lettuce, pickles, two thick tomato slices, and those onions. Although you can request raw onions, you would be crazy not to get them grilled. The pile of hot, juicy, sweet onions, infused with the burger and bacon fat from the grill, are magnificent. This work of art is conveyed to your mouth between the halves of a nice soft, white bun. Expect juicy goodness running down your arm or dripping onto the counter with every bite.
After I finished, Nic asked me how I liked it, and if he could get me anything else. He asked every single person the same thing, and seemed genuinely interested. As I paid he asked if I wanted a soda refill for the road. A genuinely nice guy. I would eagerly welcome the opportunity to come back. This is truly one of those “go out of your way to do” things. As evidenced by the folks waiting in line as I left, I am apparently not the only one to feel this way.

The Best Fried Burger I Have Ever Eaten - Right Here! - Cheeseburger at Nic's Grill

Cheeseburger

Burgers Breakfast American Traditional

Nic's Grill  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Nic's Grill, Nic's Grill Okc Menu, Nic's Grill Oklahoma City Menu, Nic's Grill, Norman, Ok, Nic's Grill Menu Oklahoma City, Nic's Grill Okc, Nic's Grill Oklahoma City, and Nic's Grill Menu.