1752 Rue Notre-Dame O
Montréal, QC H3J 1M3

Nini Meatball House

(Near the intersection of Rue Notre-Dame O and Rue St-Martin)

Neighborhoods: Le Sud-Ouest
Cuisine: Tapas, Small plates

Nini Meatball House is a Tapas and Small plates restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends and paid between $10 and $25.

rwarren69 photo

rwarren69

Montréal, QC

Balls of fun, but bring a flashlight!

I was here for supper last year. This is a very small and very white restaurant: all the furniture and fixtures are white. The better to focus on the food, I figure.

The main menu fits on one page. There are a variety of meatballs available, including vegetarian ones, and each are served three to a small bowl, with a varying amount of sauce. Think of this as meatball tapas. There is one daily special: tonight’s special was a poutine meatball, with mashed potato, cheese, and a lot of robust gravy. I anticipated having lots of sauce with my meatballs which is why I ordered couscous, to help sop it up — and it didn’t work out that way. So I would probably order a different side next time.

For dessert, the house specialty is a homemade ice cream sandwich. There are 4 flavors of cookies (homemade) and 4 flavors of ice cream (not homemade) to match up.

I really liked it here, but there are two ambiance notes that prevent me giving 5 stars. First off, it got very noisy very quickly, and it became difficult to follow conversations. Secondly, the lights were extremely dim. Even with the table candles lit, we had great difficulty reading the menu — even my much younger eyes didn’t want to cooperate. Frilly script made the task even more challenging. Despite these small challenges, I would probably go back here — with a flashlight!

Sweet potato and goat cheese with herb sauce at Nini Meatball House

Sweet potato and goat cheese with herb sauce

Soft and creamy. The “sauce” was actually a pesto dribbled on top. It was nice but could have been more generous.

Pork and fennel with spicy tomato sauce

Good licorice flavor with plenty of sauce.

Moroccan couscous at Nini Meatball House

Moroccan couscous

It was billed as lemon flavored, but I found more cranberry and other flavors. I anticipated having lots of sauce to sop up with the couscous, and it didn’t work out that way. So I would probably order a different side next time.

Chicken with wild mushroom sauce

I traded one pork meatball for this one. It was very nice with pieces of mushroom in the gravy.

Beef with tomato sauce

I tasted half a meatball. Compared to the other selections, this one was quite ordinary — it was dry and lacked pizzazz. I dabbed some of the poutine sauce on it to liven it up.

Ice cream sandwich:  chocolate chip + caramel at Nini Meatball House

Ice cream sandwich: chocolate chip + caramel

The cookies were soft and rubbery, as though not fully cooked. The ice cream was full of crystals. But both elements had good strong flavor. When I tried to eat it sandwich style, the ice cream gooshed out from between the cookies.

Tapas Small plates Griffintown

Nini Meatball House  Restaurant Reviews

Nini Meatball House is located near the cities of Saint Laurent, Mont Royal, St Laurent, Mount Royal, and Mt Royal.
People found this by searching for: Nini Meatball House Menu.