1246 Echo Park Ave

Neighborhoods: Echo Park
Cuisine: Mexican

• 5/12/2014

• 4/19/2014

A Mexican chowhound from San Jose, CA tried it and liked it.

pleasurepalate photo

pleasurepalate

Street Food Worth Driving For

Do you know what’s one of the best things about having foodie friends? Simply, as one person there’s no way you could possibly know about all the great eats in the city, but if you have many friends who share your culinary passions, you’re always bound to hear about some new dining experience that’s just too fantastic to pass up. Well, my friend Robert, heard about and eventually checked out a street cart where a woman makes Oaxacan quesadillas using blue corn tortillas. How can one pass that up? I certainly didn’t and Robert led the way.

So last Sunday, off we went. When we arrived, our group of 5 crowded around the cart and after talking to the lady, we found out that we had an option of 6 different fillings: chicarrones, squash blossoms, chicken, frijoles, chorizo and potato and huitlacoche. We decided to order one of each, except for the frijoles and just share them. She was even nice enough to cut the quesadillas in 4 to 5 sections for easier eating.

The whole process was simple. First, she would get a ball of blue corn masa that was in a plastic bag next to her. Then she’d pat it between her hands and than start patting it flat on the stove’s surface. I can’t even imagine how hot that surface was, but it didn’t seem to phase her.

Afterwards, she’d add a handful of mozarella cheese and the filling of your choice and let it lay flat for a while before folding it in half. Sometimes it was ready to go and other times, she’d let it still cook for a little while before putting on a paper plate and handing it to you.

Once you got your quesadilla, she had some additional ingredients that you could either top your quesadilla with or put inside of it. There was a mixture of nopales, red onions and cilantro in one container. You could also add a sprinkle of cotija cheese or a spoonful of a really hot salsa or a milder green salsa.

As mentioned, our group sampled 5 of the various fillings. First, we had the chicken quesadilla, but before I talk about that, I do have to say that I really liked the blue corn tortillas. It had a nice medium-thick texture and there was a nuttiness to the masa that I also really enjoyed. What was nice about the chicken was that it wasn’t dry and it had a nice flavor to the marinade.

Our second quesadilla had a huitlacoche filling, sometimes referred to as corn smut or Mexican truffles depending on who you talk to, but basically it’s a fungus. Huitlacoche is actually quite delicate, but can add a smoky, earthy and pungency to dishes like tamales, stews and in this case, quesadillas. I actually thought the huitlacoche in this case had a mild smokiness to it and I liked how the corn gave it a hit of sweetness.

Third on the rotation was the chorizo and potato quesadilla. This was actually my least favorite of the 5. The filling was mushy. I would have preferred actual chorizo sausages that were cut and grilled and than put in the quesadilla. That would been a big improvement.

Our fourth quesadilla was a vegetarian option that consisted of squash blossoms, corn and onions. If this was the only option available, I wouldn’t have missed the meat at all. Finally, my favorite was the chicarron quesadilla. Come on, it’s fried pork. What’s not to love?

By this time, all our sharing amounted to about one quesadilla and a quarter for each of us. This type of family-style sharing worked perfectly because we all got to sample a little bit of each filling and when it was time for us to order a full size one, we already knew what we liked. By the way, we did each filling individually because we wanted to taste them on their own, but you can choose more than one ingredient for your quesadilla. I went for the squash blossom and chicarrones combination, which was absolutely delicious.

What a great find! The quesadillas ran $3.00 each and she had also different drinks ranging from $1 to $2. The way you pay is pretty much on the honor system. Once you’re done eating and ready to leave, that’s when you pay her. What’s nice is that whenever she collects money, she always puts on gloves and that’s definitely smart on her part. Now this is street food worth driving for.

Chicken Quesadilla at Oaxacan Quesadilla Cart

Chicarrones Quesadilla at Oaxacan Quesadilla Cart

Chicarrones Quesadilla

Mexican Parking Takeout

Oaxacan Quesadilla Cart    Restaurant Reviews

Oaxacan Quesadilla Cart is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Oaxacan Quesadilla Cart Los Angeles 90026, Oaxacan Green Corn Tortillas, Oaxacan Quesadilla Cart Los Angeles, Oaxacan Quesadilla Cart, Quesadillas, Huitlacoche Pictures, Quesadilla, and Quesadilla Pictures.