675 15th St Nw
Washington, DC 20005-5702

Old Ebbitt Grill

Neighborhoods: Washington Mall
Cuisine: American, Grill, Desserts

Old Ebbitt Grill is a American, Grill, and Desserts restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.

• 3/03/2015

An American food lover from Dallas, TX tried it.

• 12/20/2013

A diner from Saint Louis, MO tried it.

autofoodie photo

autofoodie

Old (or New) Ebbitt Grill

I’m never quite sure where to go when I want to eat a nice dinner out after work without straying too far off my path home. There are a ton of lunch places around, but many of those places don’t translate to dinner or aren’t even open. So when looking for one the other day for me and Julia, I went for one based on reputation, age and proximity – Old Ebbitt Grill – and so too did everyone else and their mothers. And coworkers, and buddies and business meeters. Let’s just say this place was packed. It has a huge sprawling set-up, and yet was still as loud, full and bustling as any place I’ve been to in DC – especially since it was a weeknight. It was a good thing we made a reservation.

Located just across the street from the Treasury building, the place is in prime real estate, and the restaurant encompasses a large bar, several large dining rooms, as well as spills into the atrium of the adjacent building. The latter is where we sat, and thankfully, because this was the quieter more romantic area of the restaurant.

The “main” draw to Ebbitt was “Maine”. Maine lobster, that is. With an interesting menu not too dissimilar from its operating restaurant, Clyde’s, Ebbitt’s was topped off with the monthly special of a 1.25-pound steamed Maine lobster dinner for $19. Seemed to be hitting the spot for most, as looking around the room, you might have thought it to be the nicest Red Lobster you’ve ever seen, considering all the suits that were being covered with lobster bibs. Maybe this is lobster season and Ebbitt has other draws, like its old-fashioned decor, raw bar or prime location near the White House, but if I were running the place, I’d sure as heck try to keep THAT special around as long as possible.

[Dishes Reviewed Individually Below]

To be honest, there was little to say bad about “old” Ebbitt. Maybe I’ll just look for something that is a little more “new” next time. And yes, there definitely will be a next time. Especially if they keep the lobster special going.

Chef's Cheese Platter

With all that being said, lobster was not ordered at this table. This table started off with the cheese platter, a very high quality sampling of a blue, a camembert, a cow’s Colby and a sheep’s milk cheese. They came with some amazingly tangy and flavorful fig jam and some rounds of white baguette and a darker pecan, cherry bread. Both went quite well with all four cheeses and the jam. It was a very pleasing platter and was easily worth its $11 price tag. I mean it WAS a special occasion!

Totally Veggie Sandwich

For dinner, Julia ordered a beautiful-looking vegetable sandwich. Literally. The bread slices were actually thin, crispy slices of eggplant. They were so convincing, it took me a minute to even realize it wasn’t bread. Sandwiched within the eggplant were Portobello mushroom, arugula, feta cheese, zucchini, onions and hummus. Wow! Julia said it was delicious and unique and definitely something would order again. Plus, it was only $10.

Seafood Jambalaya

I took the plunge and ordered the seafood jambalaya. It is not often that I’ll ever order a jambalaya since you have to trust the quality and quantity of the seafood at the place. If not, you’re likely to end up with an icky, glorified rice bowl. It needs to have rice and a rich, spicy tomato broth. Check and check at Ebbitt’s. But it was the additives that needed to be plentiful and stellar to make this a worthy jambalaya. Chicken, andouille sausage, scallops, calamari, shrimp, clams and mussels. It was not a bad mix, quite attractive in fact, and they gave me quite a bit. It was all quite tasty. My only complaint was that the scallops were tiny, the shrimps were anemic and the chicken was in strips. If I was presenting a high-end jambalaya for nearly $20, I would have a few jumbo shrimp, a little dark meat of the chicken too and perhaps sea scallops over bay scallops. Now I know that the taste was good and that should be good enough, but we often eat with our eyes too and this one just didn’t quite pop out of the bowl visually like you might imagine an amazing jambalaya would.

You can also read my reviews and recipes in my blog at www.autofoodography.com.

The quintessential DC food establishment. Dark...

The quintessential DC food establishment. Dark lighting, long rail bar, and plenty of food items. Great happy hours, twice daily. Only in DC will you find your average happy hour and then another one after 10:30pm.

GastroEclectico photo

GastroEclectico

Phoenix, AZ

Ebbitt is my fave eats in DC!

I can’t remember how many times I’ve been to Old Ebbitt’s over the last 20 plus years! First for exceptional business lunches then socially and for personal dinners. This has become one of my all time faves for their consistent products, service, quality and exceptional food. First off, this is my ‘go-to’ eatery for calves’ liver! If there is another location in the Metro DC Area that serves up a better rendition of this standard, I’ve yet to find it. Secondly, the results of visits where I and my party have had other menu items, have been nothing short of exceptional. In a recent visit we had their Filet Mignon with Spinach over Egg – an excellent approach to what otherwise may have been a simple dish, as starters we tried the Peruvian Empanadas – an excellent rendition of the Peruvian stuffed pastry, with flavorful seasonings and mouthwatering juiciness (take care not to spill the juice over yourself as this should be eaten with the hands – hard to do with a fork and knife), and finally the Seafood Jambalaya (Bouillabaisse Cajun-Style) – needless to say, outstanding. Although not the legitimate and traditional rendering, their take is fabulously tasty and fairly unique. Over the years I have tried almost everything they’ve had to offer, and am never dissatisfied. As you might think, I keep going back for more, and more, and more. Bon appétit!

maryanno photo

maryanno

love it :)

I’m a frequent guest at OEG; it helps that my boyfriend works there and I feel that I get VIP treatment… That being said, they make the food just as good for me as they would the VP of the US, the tourist from San Fran, or the homeless guy from around the corner. No one guest is more important than the other at Ebbitt, and I think everyone appreciates that.
I crave their crabcakes on a regular basis, and eat strawberry and heirloom tomato salads in the spring and summer months. I haven’t had a bad thing at Ebbitt. Go there if you’re in town…. even if the line is out the door. Try to squeeze in at Oyster bar or somewhere in the corner of Corner bar. I highly recommend it!

Seafood Jambalaya

This jambalaya tastes like New Orleans. Enough said?

Eggs Chesapeake

If you love crabcakes, and you love eggs Benedict; you should LOVE the Eggs Chesapeake. This is definitely a favorite of mine and I get it every time I’m in for brunch!

lisalj photo

lisalj

Cheverly, MD

Old school D.C. place that is worth a visit....

Old school D.C. place that is worth a visit. Sunday brunch is good.

American Downtown Reservations

Rockville, MD
0 useful

iheartfood

Old Ebbitt Grill  Restaurant Reviews

Old Ebbitt Grill is located near the cities of National Harbor, Naval Anacost Annex, Washington D C, Fort Lesley J Mcnair, and Rosslyn.
People found this by searching for: Old Pibbits Bar, Old Ebbets Grill Lobster Special, Old Ebbets Grill, Old Ebbett's Grill Washington Dc, The Ebbitt Grill Washington Dc, The Old Ebbitt Grill Washington Dc, Ebbitt Grill Menu, Old Ebbets Grill Washington Dc, and Ebbets Grill Washington Dc.