284 Us 206
Hillsborough, NJ 08844-4624

Old Man Rafferty's

Cuisine: International, Burgers, Italian

Old Man Rafferty's is a International, Burgers, and Italian restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal.

Overall
Pros
"I've been there a few times and sat at the bar. The service is good, the food is excellent, and the beer selection is amazing. It's a great bar for a mature sophisticated crowd. "
"We didn't wait long. But food wasn't that great"
Cons
"There's one section of the bar where you can't see the TV's. So if they put a TV in that spot it would be perfect. "
"Too many servers familys food isn't that good"
Comments
"Definitely go there for great craft beer on tap. "
"It needs improvement"
  • 4/28/2018

A dining patron from Apopka, FL tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 9/07/2017

A diner from Somerville, NJ tried it.

• 3/02/2017

An International food lover from Hillsborough, NJ tried it.

• 2/25/2017

An International chowhound from Sparta, NJ tried it.

• 8/01/2016

An International chowhound from Summit, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 2/02/2015

An International food lover from Newark, NJ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Cons
    Comments
    Definitely go there for great craft beer on tap.
  • 6/17/2014

A diner from Newark, NJ tried it and liked it.

• 6/05/2014

An International food lover from Newark, NJ tried it, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
    We didn't wait long. But food wasn't that great
    Cons
    Too many servers familys food isn't that good
    Comments
    It needs improvement
  • 6/14/2013

An International chowhound from Dayton, NJ tried it and liked it.

athrax photo

athrax

Easton, PA

I have been coming to this same location to...

I have been coming to this same location to eat ever since I was a kid and before it was OMR. From what I can remember, I would say that I like OMR better than the restaurant that was here before it.

I have visited OMR with both family and friends on numerous occasions for lunch and dinner. The decor is very nice and there is seating available in the bar area, dining room, and outside. On a weekend, there is often a waiting line for a table (even for a party of one), and the bar area is packed. I am not sure if they accept reservations, but if you are planning to go on a Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, I would call to check.

Their prices are middle-of-the-road with the steak and fish entreés ranking among the higher priced. The salads are pretty good and so are the desserts. Check out the dessert case in the foyer to see what they have for the night; they usually offer about ten to fifteen (or more) different cakes, pies, cheesecake, and other pastry desserts.

LeeDouglas photo

LeeDouglas

New Milford, NJ

Family Restaurant

The restaurant has a very large menu. The prices are reasonable. My steak was delicious. It had a delicious charcoal flavor. My baked potato was undercooked. For dessert I had the apple pie. It was served cold. I did not finish it because the apples were hard. I do not believe the apples had been cooked enough.

Smothered Steak Sandwich

The steak was excellent. The baked potato that I substituted for the french fries was undercooked.

ForReal photo

ForReal

Warren, NJ

Don't order medium well protein!

Back during the summer (yea, this isn’t a very timely review) I went to their Hillsborough location with a friend and ordered something I thought would be quick, easy and ‘safe’ . . . a cheese burger medium well done. When I received my burger and I cut in in half, it was visibly red in middle with its meat juices flowing. So, I understand this sometimes happens, and I inform my waitress that my burger is not medium well done, and she agrees with me (she was very nice), and takes my burger back to the kitchen. Then, the general manager (who I find out later has over 15 years’ experience at her job) comes over so she can make sure just exactly what I wanted to be done to my burger, since as it was served to me, it was “a perfectly made medium well burger”. Wow! What ever happened to the customer is always right? . . . not to mention the burger was visibly red in the middle, dripping juices, to myself, my friend, the waitress and the manager with her 15 years of experience. So, I have to explain to her that if this is perfect medium well burger, then I want my cooked more (no kidding this, this really happened to me – even my friend was shocked at her rude behavior . . . like I was the idiot here).

I then get my recooked/new burger, cut it in half, and guess what, well it’s no longer red, but still very reddish and dripping juices! The waitress is horrified and offers to once again take it back once again. I thanked her and said let’s just forget it and ate the outside of the burger and left with my friend.

So, due to my horrible experience, I decide to write the owner and explain what happened, since based upon my 55 years of eating hamburgers, I never knew that medium well was red and dripping juices, not to mention I wanted to inform him of his managers rude behavior. He replies, defends the actions of Hillsborough manager, and tries to baffle me with culinary verbiage explaining to me that all of their protein is check with “3 second thermometer” and it should have an “internal temp of 155 degrees, an industry and culinary standard for medium well” . . . well OK, thanks for temperature reading, but what about the fact that the burger was red a dripping juices.

I swear this is all true and have the email chain to prove it.

Net net, the moral of my story is: IF YOU WANT A MEDIUM WELL HAMBURGER AT OLD MAN RAFFERTY’S, BE PREPARED TO SEND IT BACK . . . AND EXPLAIN YOURSELF TO THE MANAGEMENT SINCE YOUR DEFINTITON OF MEDIUM WELL IS NOT AN INDUSTRY OR CULINARY STANDARD!

December 25, 2008

Great for family get togethers!

If you want to go out to eat with your family and you don't know where, this is the place! The desserts are the best part. The service is pretty quick and you usually don't have to wait without a reservation.

International Burgers Wifi

Old Man Rafferty's  Restaurant Reviews

Old Man Rafferty's is located near the cities of Hillsborough Township, Belle Mead, Montgomery, East Millstone, and Franklin Twp.
People found this by searching for: Old Man Rafferty's Hillsborough Nj, Old Man Rafferty's Menu, Old Man Rafferty's, Old Man Rafferty's Hillsborough, Old Man Rafferties, Old Man Raffertys, Old Man Rafferty's Hillsborough Menu, and Old Man Rafferty's 206.