106 Albany St
New Brunswick, NJ 08901-2106

Old Man Rafferty's

Cuisine: American, Ice Cream, Catering

Old Man Rafferty's is a American, Ice Cream, and Catering restaurant where most Menuism users came for a business meeting.

• 8/25/2015

A dining patron from Rochester, NY tried it.

• 12/05/2014

An American food lover from Newark, NJ tried it and liked it.

• 4/28/2013

An American chowhound from Edison, NJ tried it and liked it.

MAW photo

MAW

Spotswood, NJ

Just not the same

Old Man Raffertys has been a hot spot for me and my friends over the past few years and lately it just feels that the quality of the food just isn’t the same. I don’t know if the owners have changed or if the chef changed but much to my dismay something has changed! Tonight I went there for a Technician appreciation dinner with my colleagues. My two glasses of Pinot Grigio were nice and cold and went down smooth. I had a choice of 3 appetizers: bruschetta Nachos and calamari. I went for the calamari and was very disappointed. It had a very gritty texture to it as though I was eating ringlets of dirt. The 3 array of sauces…a southwestern type dipping sauce…the classic marinara…and a thai sauce add an eclectic mix to this dish but the calamari was terrible. The nachos had cheese and tomatoes on them and looked quite plain. The bruschetta looked tasty. For my meal I had a choice of raviolis, stuffed chicken, and salmon. I chose the salmon and I feel I chose wisely. The salmon came out on a bed of asparagus and roasted fingerling potatoes and all 3 were cooked to perfection and very tasty. Lastly I had the choice of dessert: cheesecake chocolate mousse and apple crumbcake. I also chose wisely here chocolate mousse: it was incredible! So all in all the meal was decent but Old Man Raffertys just isn’t the same.

Fried Calamari

The texture of the calamari was awful and was like eating a ring of dirt.

Grilled Salmon

The Grilled Salmon was cooked just right: moist and melted in your mouth…Accompanied with fingerling potatoes and asparagus this was a great meal

Chocolate Mousse

Creamy and moist this dessert takes you to the edge!

Kate773 photo

Kate773

New Brunswick, NJ

Huge selection of all kinds of food, classic Americana an...

Huge selection of all kinds of food, classic Americana and regional food interpretations with something for everyone.

My personal favorite is the bowl of tomato basil soup, though the steak gorgonzola salad, the old man’s nachos and anything with the wonderful sweet potato fries is worth trying. Save room so you can get up to go to the dessert case and oogle the huge variety of delicious cakes and cheesecakes before picking your poison.

The staff is friendly, the prices are fair, and being a favorite hangout of Rutgers students the atmosphere is perfect for friends and families alike.

ForReal photo

ForReal

Warren, NJ

Don't order medium well protein!

Back during the summer (yea, this isn’t a very timely review) I went to their Hillsborough location with a friend and ordered something I thought would be quick, easy and ‘safe’ . . . a cheese burger medium well done. When I received my burger and I cut in in half, it was visibly red in middle with its meat juices flowing. So, I understand this sometimes happens, and I inform my waitress that my burger is not medium well done, and she agrees with me (she was very nice), and takes my burger back to the kitchen. Then, the general manager (who I find out later has over 15 years’ experience at her job) comes over so she can make sure just exactly what I wanted to be done to my burger, since as it was served to me, it was “a perfectly made medium well burger”. Wow! What ever happened to the customer is always right? . . . not to mention the burger was visibly red in the middle, dripping juices, to myself, my friend, the waitress and the manager with her 15 years of experience. So, I have to explain to her that if this is perfect medium well burger, then I want my cooked more (no kidding this, this really happened to me – even my friend was shocked at her rude behavior . . . like I was the idiot here).

I then get my recooked/new burger, cut it in half, and guess what, well it’s no longer red, but still very reddish and dripping juices! The waitress is horrified and offers to once again take it back once again. I thanked her and said let’s just forget it and ate the outside of the burger and left with my friend.

So, due to my horrible experience, I decide to write the owner and explain what happened, since based upon my 55 years of eating hamburgers, I never knew that medium well was red and dripping juices, not to mention I wanted to inform him of his managers rude behavior. He replies, defends the actions of Hillsborough manager, and tries to baffle me with culinary verbiage explaining to me that all of their protein is check with “3 second thermometer” and it should have an “internal temp of 155 degrees, an industry and culinary standard for medium well” . . . well OK, thanks for temperature reading, but what about the fact that the burger was red a dripping juices.

I swear this is all true and have the email chain to prove it.

Net net, the moral of my story is: IF YOU WANT A MEDIUM WELL HAMBURGER AT OLD MAN RAFFERTY’S, BE PREPARED TO SEND IT BACK . . . AND EXPLAIN YOURSELF TO THE MANAGEMENT SINCE YOUR DEFINTITON OF MEDIUM WELL IS NOT AN INDUSTRY OR CULINARY STANDARD!

Farah photo

Farah

Colts Neck, NJ

yummy! last time i went i had the grilled salmon and it w...

yummy! last time i went i had the grilled salmon and it was very good. portions are big (specially the soups) so don’t order too much! service is wonderful as well.

American Good for groups Ice Cream
QueenieLee

New York, NY
0 useful

Old Man Rafferty's  Restaurant Reviews

Old Man Rafferty's is located near the cities of Highland Park, Milltown, North Brunswick Township, North Brunswick, and North Brunswick Twp.
People found this by searching for: Old Man Rafferty's Nutrition, Oldman Rafferty's New Brunswick, Old Man Rafferty New Brunswick, Old Man Rafferty's Brunch, Old Man Rafferty's New Brunswick, Old Man Rafferty's New Brunswick Brunch, and Old Man Rafferty's New Brunswick Brunch Menu.