2608 Nicollet Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55408

Peninsula

Neighborhoods: Whittier
Cuisine: Chinese, Indian, Malaysian

Peninsula is a Chinese, Indian, and Malaysian restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped less than 15%.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Things Have Changed.

For better or for worse? Not entirely sure. Chef is still there cooking away, but he was also up front cleaning tables and serving drinks last night. A little strange. The rest of the family who owns Peninsula were nowhere to be seen. Given, it was a Monday night so who knows.

Some positives – the menu is still the same, large and in charge. The restaurant looked busy, full of happy patrons eating lots of food. They also have their full liquor license now and offer a full menu of specialty drinks and martinis in addition to their wine and beer list.

Some negatives – we had the worst service ever yesterday evening. When we first arrived the hostess came over to ask how many. There were 6 of us so she had to push some tables together. Looking irritated that we would bring a semi-large group in to eat she told us to ‘just chill’ for a moment. Yes, we are a group of young adults, but I don’t recommend using the phrase ‘just chill’ when you are a hostess in a sit down restaurant, but then again I don’t recommend using the phrase ‘just chill’ ever.

Our waiter was extremely slow, nice, but slow. I think he was new and just getting the hang of things, but still. We placed our orders which came out in a stream instead of all at once. Four of us got our meals at once. There was confusion as to who got what dish as 2 or 3 different people came out to serve us our food. The one time our waiter actually brought a dish to our table he gave it to the wrong person. One dish sat on the window of the open kitchen for a few minutes as we contemplated whether they were waiting for the last plate to be done. Turns out they weren’t waiting for another plate because the plate never got entered into the computer. We watched as the waiter told the cooks something was missing. It took awhile to remedy the whole mess and the rest of us felt bad eating while the guest of honor sat without any food. Guess that’s the bad thing about having an open kitchen. The waiter mostly avoided us for the rest of the evening, probably because he was embarrassed, but he still managed to make off with a 20% tip (my dad is too nice).

Needless to say it was an ‘off night’ for Peninsula. The food was excellent as expected, but sometimes really bad service can sour the whole experience. I will most likely revisit, but last night has stifled my desire to return anytime in the near future.

Peninsula Char Kway Teow

Malaysia’s famous stir fried flat rice noodles with shrimp, squid, bean sprouts, & eggs in our spicy soy chili paste. I remembered this dish with thin rice noodles, but maybe I’m just mistaken. The only negative was the lack of squid. The squid itself was tender and perfectly prepared, but I only found about 3 big pieces.

christianf photo

christianf

Minneapolis, MN

I've always enjoyed my experiences here. The...

I’ve always enjoyed my experiences here. The waitstaff are friendly and attractive, they’ll describe anything on the menu and even explain the cultural influences upon Malaysian cuisine. The interior deco is very pleasant, the musical selection is better than average, and they make their own tofu right on the premises!

Camdi Chinese-Vietnamese

Deli in Whittier

Le Bambou

Asian in Whittier

12/14/2019

A dining patron from Plymouth, MN tried Crystal Cafe in Bassett Creek and liked it. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

12/02/2019

A Vietnamese chowhound from Cottage Grove, MN tried Saigon Uptown Restaurant in Lyn-Lake.

12/02/2019

A Vietnamese chowhound from Saint Paul, MN tried Saigon Uptown Restaurant in Lyn-Lake, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

11/23/2019

A diner from Prior Lake, MN tried Boston Market (CLOSED), liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

11/23/2019

An Asian chowhound from Denver, CO tried Lien Son Restaurant in Northeast Park.

11/15/2019

A Mexican food lover from Minneapolis, MN tried Taco Blass in Central.

11/10/2019

A dining patron from US tried Hard Times Cafe in Cedar-Riverside, didn't like it, and rated it . They liked the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
My niece loved the tofu scramble. I had rice with steamed veggies, which was perfectly cooked but lacked seasoning/sauce. I added sriracha and that helped.
Cons
My Mom’s haystack was very salty, while my food didn’t seem to be seasoned much.
Comments
The music was bad. Bad. I can’t even describe it. It wasn’t edgy or mysterious or cultural. Not meditative or catchy or interesting or intense or even boring. It was just bad and at times annoying.
11/03/2019

A Pizza chowhound from Fullerton, CA tried Michelangelo's Masterpizzas in Fulton and liked it. They liked the food.

10/19/2019

A dining patron from Ann Arbor, MI tried Hard Times Cafe in Cedar-Riverside, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

10/19/2019

A Vegan chowhound from Saint Paul, MN tried Hard Times Cafe in Cedar-Riverside, didn't like it, and rated it . They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.

Pros
They discriminate against people that don't have the same political views. No discrimination is OK period. I will never step another foot in there again.
Chinese Indian Malaysian

Asian in Prospect Park

Mei Inn

Chinese in Northrup

Peninsula  Restaurant Reviews

Peninsula is located near the cities of Saint Anthny Vlg, St Anthony, and Saint Anthony.
People found this by searching for: Tapioca Pearls, Minneapolis, Peninsula, Penninsula Restaurant Nicollet Ave., Penisula Restaurant, Peninsula, Minneapolis, Menu, Peninsula Restaurant Minneapolis Menu, Minneapolis Malaysian Restaurant Peninsula Menu, Peninsula Malaysian Cuisine Review, and Peninsula Restaurant Minneapolis.