4307 Leimert Blvd Ste 3
Los Angeles, CA 90008-5201

Phillips Bar-B-Que

Neighborhoods: Leimert Park
Cuisine: Barbecue, American, Southern

Phillips Bar-B-Que is a Barbecue, American, and Southern restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go and paid less than $10.

Overall
Pros
"Great"
"Been eating at phillips for the last 20 years and the food has never change which is a good thing. Best BBQ and rib tips you'll ever have. Simply awsome "
"Been coming here since I was 3 and I am 42 now."
Cons
"Slow service ..but the food is good "
"Little parking and small hallway"
"No parking"
Comments
"Best BBQ ever!"
"Just that for years the food continues to be the best and the employees are always so nice with a family feel to it "
  • 7/04/2019

A Barbecue food lover from Pomona, CA tried it.

• 1/08/2019

A diner from Los Angeles, CA tried it and liked it. They liked the food.

• 12/20/2018

Pros
    Great
  • 7/20/2018

A Barbecue chowhound from US tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 11/15/2017

A Barbecue food lover from US tried it.

• 11/13/2017

A Barbecue food lover from Los Angeles, CA tried it.

• 11/04/2017

A Barbecue food lover from Los Angeles, CA tried it.

• 11/02/2017

A dining patron from West Covina, CA tried it.

• 8/26/2017

A Barbecue chowhound from Los Angeles, CA tried it.

• 5/27/2017

A Barbecue food lover from Los Angeles, CA tried it and liked it.

QB
RJHemedes photo

RJHemedes

Its Good BBQ, but not the Best in LA County

Do you know how a BBQ place has a cult-like following? There are people waiting in line at least 30 minutes before the places opens for business. This was the case for Phillip’s on my first visit last Saturday.

Phillips is considered one of the top ranking BBQ joints in LA. Whenever talk of the best cue occurs among foodies, this place is mentioned. After my divine revelation from Bludso’s (see my review) a few weeks ago, I wanted to see how Phillip’s would stack up.

The timing was perfect because Tony and Wes decided to do a BBQ crawl that would hit 5 different places in a row. Phillip’s was first on the list. If you are not familiar with the Leimert Park area, the place is easy to miss since they only have a small sign at the corner and its overshadowed by a much larger liquor store sign. The cue joint has a larger sign, but its not close to your field of vision when driving on the street.

When I arrived with another Yelper who was carpooling with me, we noticed that there was a column of smoke coming up from the place – it was around 10:25 AM or so. That’s a good sign that they are smoking the meats, which take several hours to do. We were told later that they start smoking the meats around 6 AM each day.

While waiting for the place to open, we noticed the local Farmer’s Market alongside the establishment, so we decided to spend some time there before Phillips officially opened. When we returned, a line was starting to form. You could see in the faces of the patrons that they wanted their meat, and they wanted it now.

When the doors finally opened, i was surprised at how small the place was. There’s a very small hallway with ZERO seating. Just enough to have a line of 5 or 7 people to walk up and place an order. You pick up the goodies on the outside side window. Our group decided to settle on ordering a rack of baby back ribs and a side of mac and cheese.

The order took about 10 to 15 minutes to complete. because there was no seating for our group, we decided to eat the cue on the next stop in our list. One of the advantages of BBQ is that if you don’t eat it immediately, it stills tastes good an hour later.

The meat has a good smokey flavor. The meat was moist and tender. It wasn’t falling of the bone though – which is a good thing because we still needed to dip it into the sauce. I think Tony ordered a 1/2 and 1/2 sauce which was part mild, part spicy. Overall, the taste of the sauce was mild to moderate in spiciness, but it just didn’t do anything for me. I didn’t find it sweet or tangy enough and the sauce was very watery. When it comes to BBQ sauce, I like it Heinz thick. The mac n cheese was okay, but nothing memorable.

Nevertheless, Philipp’s was the leading contender when compared to the Assembly of God and Jay Bee’s. But when we finally got to Nate’s and Bludso’s in Compton, Phillips was simply outclassed. if anything, i wish we had ordered regular pork ribs instead, because the other places didn’t offer baby back ribs like Phillips did, and its much easier to prepare baby back ribs compared to regular pork ribs.

Philips’ might be one of the better cues in LA, but the best BBQ is still found in Compton. There are several parking spots that Phillips shares with the Liquor store beside it. There is also plenty of metered parking on the lot beside it. This place does get busy so I highly recommend you call in your order in advance.

BBQ Baby Back Ribs

The baby back ribs had a good smoky taste, but I wouldn’t describe the meat quality and texture as excellent. The BBQ is okay.

Macaroni and cheese

Just average mac n cheese. Nothing noteworthy.

BroHipHOP photo

Mon 11:00AM - 08:00PM

Bipu9cxywr3zudaby-rwml
mstt24

Phillips Bar-B-Que  Restaurant Reviews

Phillips Bar-B-Que is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Phillips Bar B Que, Phillips Bar B Que, Phillips Bbq Leimert Park, Phillips Bbq Menu, Phillip's Bbq, Phillips Barbecue Los Angeles Menu, Phillips Barbecue Menu, Phillips Bbq Los Angeles Menu, and Phillips Bbq Leimert Park Menu.