4130 Roosevelt Way NE
Seattle, WA 98105-6436

Portage Bay Cafe & Catering

Neighborhoods: University District
Cuisine: Brunch, Breakfast, Organic

Portage Bay Cafe & Catering is a Brunch, Breakfast, and Organic restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

• 4/08/2016

A Brunch chowhound from Sammamish, WA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 11/16/2013

A Cafe food lover from Chula Vista, CA tried it.

• 7/28/2013

A Brunch food lover from Portland, OR tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

LittleJu photo

LittleJu

A must try in U-village

Watching the long line for brunch every weekend i passed by, I’ve wanted to come check out this hot place for about 3 yrs. (Just too lazy to wait)

Last Sat was a rainy day, but surprisingly still packed, or maybe even more cos ppl all went inside. So if decided to come, either make sure u a not starving or to grab a hot drink in their coffee bar _

After Longer-Than-Usual wait (30 at least), I highly believe I deserve Better-Than-Usual food!

Actually it is BTU! The menu is huge and refreshing — from pancake, oatmeal to scramble eggs and sandwich, plus they constantly change their monthly specials.

My Greek Omelette was a nice try, a perfect balance between taste and ingredients. They use a lot of organic ingredients, and with $1 more u can substitute potatoes with fresh fruits. If you order pancake, u can go to their fruits bar for ALL U CAN EAT!

It’s never too late to try a great brunch spot, isn’t it~

Greek Omelette

With pepper bacon, herb roasted organic onions, organic baby spinach, Greek myzythra cheese, finished with basil pistou. Great finding!

House Smoked Pork Sausage Omelette

with caramelized organic apples and shallots with 5-year-old gouda cheese. It looks fatty but really TASTY!

flower628 photo

flower628

Vanilla Yogurt Pancakes

I really love eating their Vanilla Yogurt pancakes here. The pancakes are moist and light with a hint of vanilla and you also get to go to the fruit bar (strawberries, whipped cream, syrup, butter, blueberries, pecans, peaches, and etc) as many times as you want to top off your pancakes.

Vanilla Yogurt Pancakes

jwbnyc photo

jwbnyc

A Little Gem, But Not Perfect

I like the restaurant and its popularity is well-founded. The menu is varied and reasonably priced. The dishes are of a high qualtiy, but always seem just a tad bland.

The crowds and the layout combine to cause a bit of a tense atmosphere. The servers always seem to have something to do other than take care of us.

Dungeness Crabcakes Benedict

The crab cakes are good, but not great. I might enjoy them more in the benedict. They’re a bit dry on their own.

jetleigh photo

jetleigh

Seattle, WA

a must try for breakfast

This is probably my favorite breakfast place in town (along with Coastal Kitchen). The place is always packed packed packed on weekends so be prepared to wait for your food. But it is worth it! They serve amazing delicious food and offer more than your standard breakfast items. The housemade oatmeal is delicious and any of their egg scrambles are delicious, especially the seafood ones. It’s a lively hopping place.

Oatmeal with Soy

if you love oatmeal you have to try this – plus you get to top it with as much fruit, nuts, and other things from the breakfast bar

geist photo

geist

Seattle, WA

good menu variety, can get really busy

We went at about 9:30 am on a Saturday, and waited about 20 minutes for a table for two. Not too bad, but when were leaving the line was incredibly huge and looked more like an hour wait.

I liked the variety of dishes on the menu, and I really appreciate how they “sourced” the various ingredients. The toppings bar had a ton of beautiful fresh fruit and nuts for putting on your pancakes, oatmeal, or toast. The raspberries were crazy delicious.

There’s a parking lot next to the cafe, or there seemed to be plenty of street parking. I think I like the benedict at Wild Mountain better, but I will definitely come here again to try some french toast or maybe an omelette.

Classic Benedict w/ Fruit

hollandaise was good but not great, paired with fresh fruit instead of potatoes made for just the right flavors and serving size

tomato photo

tomato

Seattle, WA

Food good, as long as you know what to order

I come here often because it’s the closest breakfast place to my house.

The challah French toast is to die for. I always get it. It is absolutely, amazingly delicious. I always get it with a side of crispy pepper bacon. A nice mix of sweet and salty.

However, most breakfast dishes come with a side of potatoes. I recommend you either substitute something else, or don’t eat them. They are disgusting. I can’t believe a place that makes such delicious challah French toast can be the same place that makes these potatoes. They always have that wet undercooked taste. I kept thinking it was bad luck, so I kept attempting to eat them each time I go, but I’ve given up. I just don’t touch them. They are really awful.

As for other dishes, I’ve tried some scrambles that weren’t so good, but my friend had a migas, which was quite tasty. The lunch menu dishes I’ve had have been somewhat bland and I wouldn’t recommend them.

As for the service, it varies. I’ve been here during slow times (yes, there are some! just don’t come for weekend brunch!) as well as during the famous hella-busy times, and this doesn’t seem to have an effect on how hurried the servers are. They always seem too hurried to take care of you, for some reason. There is one server in particular, who has been there for a while, who just seems really fake—this person does everything they are required to do and says it in a pleasant voice, yet they somehow seem to make you feel like you are taking up their precious time. I end up with this server about half the time I go to Portage Bay Cafe.

Though, another time, I got a different server who was very sweet and attentive, and when she discovered that we had come specifically because I wanted some strawberries on my challah French toast, but they had already put away the fruit toppings bar, she went and got a bowl of fresh sliced strawberries just for me! Made my day.

So like I said, service varies, but do expect to feel a bit rushed.

Also, I think the prices are reasonable though not cheap, but I often have to come here alone because my usual dining partner feels this place is waaaaay overpriced for what you get.

The Rancher’s Breakfast

I always get this with the challah French toast and pepper bacon. The french toast gives you a trip to the toppings bar, where you can pile on different fruits exactly in the proportions of your liking. I love the french toast! And the bacon is nice and salty and crispy, just how I like it, and nicely offsets the sweetness of the french toast.

However, this does not get a 5 star rating from me because the potatoes it comes with are disgusting! This is the only word I have to describe them. They are disgusting. They are undercooked, have that wet raw flavor to them, that I just can’t disguise no matter how much ketchup or Tabasco I try to pour on it. And they give you quite a lot too. My recommendation is to not touch them, or substitute for fruit or tomatoes.

krosis photo

krosis

Only a few good items

I don’t care for portage bay cafe. All the food tastes a little off. They substitute ingredients to make it more upscale, but it isn’t very successful. I don’t like their potatoes, they put a lot of spice on them before frying them, which ends up blackening them and giving them a burnt taste. Also, the use thick-cut pepper bacon, which is okay, but again a lot of times they overcook it (even though I usually like my bacon crispy). I imagine the two issues might be related.

The one jewel on the menu is the toppings bar. If you order french toast or pancakes you can load up on toppings from the bar. They have an assortment of different fruits (sometimes fresh, sometime frozen), butter, fresh whipped cream, several types of syrup, etc.

Overall, I think they charge too much for food that doesn’t really agree with my palette.

billthedog photo

billthedog

Best Breakfast in Seattle

Lunch too – well, maybe that depends on taste, but as far as a great, local place that uses organic, wholesome, locally sourced ingredients, Portage Bay Cafe on South Lake Union is great. Their sandwiches and lunch dishes go beyond the “normal” and put you in a place you want to be as in you can’t make this stuff at home. The breakfast and brunch menu items are mostly on the great side. Always filling. Good stuff all the way around.

beebler photo

beebler

San Francisco, CA

A must try. Deliciously organic, and no, not...

A must try. Deliciously organic, and no, not overly so where it dips into hippie territory. Their brunches are extremely good, you can’t go wrong. The only issue is the wait, but that’s simply because the place is that good. You may get impatient but don’t leave, all your feelings of impatience will disappear as soon as you take a bite.

This is my goto breakfast place. Great variety with fresh...

This is my goto breakfast place. Great variety with fresh, organic ingredients. Nice Northwestern style breakfast dishes and waffle bar, but everything on the menu sounds good. A little pricy, but worth it.

Brunch Breakfast Organic

Cecii0hvwr3kaiaby-gaa8
rosiethehobbit

Woodinville, WA

Portage Bay Cafe & Catering  Restaurant Reviews

Portage Bay Cafe & Catering is located near the cities of Vancouver, Capitol Hill, Madrona, Madison Park, and Broken Arrow.
People found this by searching for: Portage Bay Menu, Portage Bay Nutrition, Portage Bay Cafe U District, Portage Bay Cafe Menu, Portage Bay Cafe Nutrition, Portage Bay Cafe Seattle Menu, Portage Bay Cafe, Portage Bay Brunch, and Portage Bay Roosevelt.