315 N Brand Blvd
Glendale, CA 91203-2303

Porto's Bakery & Party Store

Neighborhoods: Pacific - Edison
Cuisine: Bakeries, Cuban, Diner

Pros
"Love the cakes :-)"
  • 11/16/2014

A Bakeries chowhound from San Jose, CA tried it.

• 7/30/2014

A dining patron from San Jose, CA tried it and liked it.

• 11/05/2013

A Bakeries chowhound from AZ tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Love the cakes :-)
  • 4/17/2013

A Bakeries chowhound from San Leandro, CA tried it and liked it.

QB
HaHaHippoo photo

HaHaHippoo

Long Beach, CA

A must stop when you are in the Glendale/Los Feliz area

I love portos so much that when I lived in Glendale and worked near Ktown I would drive back to Glendale just for lunch! Anytime I’m going to be even remotely close to that area I will go out of my way to stop by!

Love their sandwiches, no one can beat a $2-4 fresh cuban sandwich! I totally agree that their potato balls and fruit tarts are a must buy EVERYTIME!

For any special occasion their cakes are the best, by far! You can even order a full sheet fruit tart!!!

The lines may look long, but their service is quick and efficent. This bakery works like clock work and that’s why people keep coming back despite the crowds.

Fruit tarts

super yummy!!

shaomai photo

shaomai

San Jose, CA

Great food and great value!

Porto’s is officially a bakery, but half of their Glendale location is devoted to regular food as well. I don’t live in the LA area, so whenever I’m in town, I come away with several boxes of Porto’s.

Their sandwiches are ok… they have some cuban sandwiches and some regular sandwiches. The best part is that they come with a couple of strips of their plantain chips. yum! but I come here primarily for 1) the fruit tarts 2) the potato balls.

If Porto’s just served fruit tarts, they could still thrive as a business. Their fruit tarts are SO GOOD. The fruit is always amazingly fresh, sweet, and plentiful no matter what time of year it is. It comes with strawberries, blueberries, peaches, and apples… maybe more. But I believe the only fruit that isn’t fresh are the canned peaches. They make them in several different sizes – at the lunch counter, you can buy the individual sized tarts – about 3-4" diameter, but on the bakery side, you can buy several sizes of much larger ones. I recommend the larger tarts over the individual sized ones because they are slightly different — the larger tarts come with a more graham crackery-crust, and there’s a thin layer of sponge cake underneath the custard. On the individual tarts, they have more of a pastry crust, and just a custard layer, no sponge cake.

The potato balls are great as well. It’s essentially a ball of deep fried mashed potatoes stuffed with ground beef, but I love it.

I would also recommend
- pastelito, a flaky pastry with cream cheese and guava marmelade
- plantain chips as a side order — comes with mojo sauce, a garlicky olive oil
- any of the small bakery goods at the lunch counter… never had something i didn’t like!
- empandas

Fruit tarts

Fresh, sweet fruit, custard, and a great crunch crust. What’s not to like?

Potato balls

cheap, tasty, and filling, the perfect snack to take on the go

wabbie photo

wabbie

Cheese rolls rock!

I love this place. I wish it was closer. I was going to have them cater a party because I love a lot of their foods. Too bad the party had to be canceled.

My absolute #1 favorite is their cheese rolls. These flaky and sweet pastries filled with sweet cheese. It’s so good. It’s so addictive, you just can’t have one. They also have it with guava and that’s good too.

Their sandwiches are great. I love the Cuban Sandwich. They have Meat Pies, Potato Balls, Chorizo Pies, Ham Croquettes…I can go on. So far everything I’ve tried is really good.

The place is always packed. I suggest going early on the weekends. And don’t forget to pick up some of their freshly baked breads. Delicious!

troJane photo

troJane

Cerritos, CA

Favorite Brown Box

Actually, I’ve still never been. But my friend brought over a brown baker’s box brimming full of various crossaints and two chilled creme brulees. i must say, these were so delicious, it ruined my dinner! I especially love their cheese crossaint “sticks”.. it has a sweet cream cheese center on an ever to perfetly lightly sweeted glazed and flakey crossaint

Cheese Crossaint Stick

Creme Brulee

Guava nectar Crossaint

Plain Crossaint

kat photo

kat

Mmmm...

the best thing to happen to glendale, after the galleria.

i thank the heavens for the delicious potato balls, and sweet pastries. but beware… the lines are crucial.

PaulaF photo

PaulaF

Pathetic people skills at Porto's

Am I the only person who has a problem with this place???

I would give them 4 stars for food quality, 5 for value, but negative 1,000,000 stars for service if I could. Yes, their potato balls, chorizo pies, and pastries are good and very affordable. BUT their service is atrocious. Not only are the waits always long, I have never experienced such disgraceful treatment by cashiers or services as I have here.

For the record, my statement is not based on one incident but many. I work in the Glendale area, and I have come here to grab lunch or a snack multiple times. They not only organize their cashier and pick-up counter as poorly as possible so as to confuse everyone, when you ask someone for direction or information with a menu item, they are inevitably rude. I have actually had on multiple instances a cashier turn to his or her co-worker and literally make ridicule of me in front of my face (speaking in Spanish or in low tones, thinking I cannot understand what they are saying) and then scoff at me, and not answer my question. I wanted to give them a chance, recognizing that it’s always crowded, it’s not the cashiers/servers fault, but after facing rudeness from so many of their staff, I refuse to go there now. Many of my coworkers have had similar ill-experiences there, and they don’t bother patroning them anymore. Yes, they are convenient to my office and offer many good items, but my dignity is worth more than a measly cheese danish.

Potato balls

Savory, moist, with a lovely spicing in the meat filling. Good ratio of meat to potato.

Bakeries Cuban Glendale

Italian in Rossmoyne

Art's Bakery

Bakeries in Mariposa

Porto's Bakery & Party Store  Restaurant Reviews

Porto's Bakery & Party Store is located near the cities of Sepulveda, Glassell Park, Glassell, and Los Feliz.
People found this by searching for: Portos Restaurant, Portos Party Menu, Porto's Fruit Tart, Porto's Bakery Menu Pastries, Porto's Party Menu, Porto's Bakery Glendale, and Porto's Bakery Glendale Menu.