398 John St
Burlington, ON L7R

Red Canoe Bistro

Cuisine: Fish, Wines, Fusion

Red Canoe Bistro is a Fish, Wines, and Fusion restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.

WINEGUY photo

WINEGUY

Burlington, ON

Better then I expected.

As an old guest of Dantes Trattoria I was unsure of another restaurant taking over its location.

I went sceptically on the suggestion of a friend. WOW were they right about it. I love the warm comfortable fell to the place.

From start to finish it was great. I thought you would need to go to Toronto or Montreal to get a meal with as much care and detail as this had. My Fish (Arctic Char) was cooked perfectly. This is harder to find then you would think. My husbands said his Lamb was really good as well. My bite was good. The Grapefruit Pie was to die for. So rich but not overly sweet.

The wine list was really good as well. A good selection of by the glass wines. Heavy focus on Canadian wines but some excellent wines from the old world as well. We had a Barbabelle from France.

The service was skilled and knowledgeable. And they took time to describe the food to us. This helped when I tried to understand some of the more adventurous items. My appetizer platter was really good with a few items off the menu and a few items not listed. I got to try escargot for the first time and they were tasty.

Definitely worth every penny. Will definitely be back.

Arctic Char

Perfectly cooked. Golden skin was crispy and tasty.
served with crab and potato in a corn husk. Sauce was not overpowering. Wish I could do it like that myself.

Fantastic Food however Poor Service

My wife and I have lived downtown Burlington for years and eat out on a regular basis. We first heard about Red Canoe Bistro through a write-up in the Hamilton Spectator about how incredible the food was and naturally we wanted to try the food.

The review were right, the food was fantastic!!! The presentation was incredible for the appetizer, meal and dessert that we shared. The chef, who is also the owner, came over to the table to thank my wife and I for coming to the restaurant and asked how we enjoyed our meals and gave us an overview about how he was trying to feature local Canadian dishes that were all prepared fresh. Definitely 5 stars for food.

However, our service (with the exception of the chef coming to our table) was absolutely terrible. We were served by an older woman who has obviously been in the service industry her entire life and it was very apparent that she should have chosen a different ‘career’ as she is not exactly a people person. There was only one other table in the restaurant however it took her well over 10 minutes to get us our bottle of wine when the wine was stored 10 feet from our table with the bar directly behind our table. When she did finally come over to our table she talked to us in the same voice my wife uses to talk to our 3 year old son and did a very poor job at making conversation. It would have been much better if she didn’t say anything at all, just opened up the wine bottle and left it on the table for us. Then for the rest of the time we were there she stood at the bar talking to some guy who was not dressed for the place who must have come in to see her specifically as he just sat at the bar and didn’t order anything. When the waitress ran our food she did go over the ingredients of each of our appetizers however it was so rushed that we couldn’t understand what she was saying and immediately after she dropped off our appetizers she went right back to talking to that guy. She didn’t bother to check on how we our appetizers were. This was the same for our dinner and dessert where she rushed through describing what our meals were and then running over to talk to the guy. When it came time for the bill we were sitting and waiting for it for quite some time so I asked for it while she was still talking yet she didn’t get it for us. It wasn’t until we put on our coats and got up to go out the door that she gave us our bill.

The food was honestly amazing however I don’t think that I would take my wife back there while that old waitress is still working there.

TastyBurlington photo

TastyBurlington

Burlington, ON

The best in town

Now I have lived in Burlington for many years. And this is arguably the best restaurant I have been to. I eat out 2-3 nights per week at all the best places in Burlington, Oakville and Toronto. Nothing in the area compares.

I couldn’t get in the first time I tried as they were fully booked. So I made a reservation a few weeks later.

I have now eaten there 3 times. Each time I encountered a different seasonal menu. And each time it surpassed my expectations. My first visit I was wary and tried the Striploin with Mash. Cooked perfectly. Seasoned perfectly. Never a complaint. And now I will try anything they serve. My most recent was a tasting menu with Elk Tenderloin on it. Wow.

Love it. Service is great, Love the feel and the wine is is good.

Beef Striploin

Dry aged Beef Striploin.

Cooked Perfectly. The sides were amazing. And my appetizer sampler plate was unbelievable. Very interesting and tasty.

5/13/2019

A diner from US tried Mother Tucker's.

12/05/2018

A dining patron from Mississauga, ON tried Jackson's Landing in Sheldon Creek.

11/05/2018

An Italian chowhound from Burlington, ON tried Zarcone's Italian Restaurant.

8/28/2018

A dining patron from Burlington, ON tried Millcroft Golf Club, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

8/03/2018

A Steakhouse chowhound from Moline, IL tried Mother Tucker's, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

6/09/2018

A diner from Burlington, ON tried Millcroft Golf Club.

6/01/2018

A chowhound from Barrie, ON tried Millcroft Golf Club and liked it. They liked the food.

3/06/2018

A diner from Niagara Falls, ON tried Red Lobster, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

11/21/2017

A diner from Burlington, ON tried Mei Foo Garden.

11/20/2017

A diner from Toronto, ON tried Mei Foo Garden.

Fresh Fish Lamb
Fri-Sat 05:00PM - 10:00PM
Mon-Thu 05:00PM - 09:30PM (Dinner)
Mon-Fri 11:30AM - 02:00PM (Lunch)

Red Canoe Bistro  Restaurant Reviews

Red Canoe Bistro is located near the cities of Waterdown.
People found this by searching for: The Red Canoe Menu, Red Canoe Bistro, Menu For Red Canoe, Red Canoe Burlington, Write A Review For Red Canoe Restaurant In Burlington, Red Canoe Restaurant, Red Canoe Burlington Menu, Red Canoe Bistro Menu, and Red Canoe Restaurant Burlington.