250 6 Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P

Redwater Rustic Grille

Neighborhoods: Downtown
Cuisine: Californian, Contemporary American

Redwater Rustic Grille is a Californian and Contemporary American restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped less than 15%.

• 11/12/2013

A Californian food lover from BC tried it.

lolacola photo

lolacola

Calgary, AB

Great For Lunch or Dinner

I have been to the Redwater Rustic Grill for dinner numerous times, and have always been impressed by their food and service. I especially like how they offer “naked” entrees: beef, pork and seafood selections where you choose the sauce (if any) and the sides. It is perfect for particular eaters like myself. When the Redwater recently opened a downtown location, I was eager to try it for lunch. It is hard to get a reservation there, so be sure to book about 2 weeks in advance.

My friend and I went there for a lunch on a Friday. The Redwater has the same opulent yet cozy décor that is found in the other location on McLeod Trail. I was quickly seated by a friendly hostess at a side table by the window with deep comfy leather chairs. When my friend arrived, she was shown to the table where I was waiting without any confusion or delay. Good start.

Our waiter quickly took our drink orders as we perused the menu. For an appetizer we chose to share the Lobster Quesadillas ($15.00). For our entrees we each chose a sandwich; I had the Crab and Shrimp Club ($16.00) and my friend chose the Southwest Chicken BLT ($13.00). The waiter took a long time to bring our drinks over, so we were more then ready to order when he came back.

The service at this location of Redwater was not as good as I have experienced previously. The waiter seemed quite flustered when I asked to have no avocado/tomato relish on my sandwich and wanted soup instead of fries. He looked at me rather funny and said “uh okay”. It was a little irritating. Thankfully, the food was much faster than the waiter.

I loved the Lobster Quesadillas. They were shaped a little more like dumplings then quesadillas, and there were four pieces in light pastry shells. The quesadillas were stuffed with melted gouda, poblano butter and tender pieces of lobster. There was a shaved mango and carrot “salad” and a lime aioli for dipping, served with the quesadillas. All the flavors went very well together and I was in heaven. My friend however, did not enjoy the quesadillas as much as I; she found them to be bland and in need of a garlic or spice kick. As gouda is a mild cheese, I think that was where the dish went bad for her.

Luckily she really enjoyed her sandwich, which was juicy pulled rotisserie chicken served on a toasted bun with bacon, lettuce, tomato and honey mustard. My sandwich was just as good; the crab and shrimp were mixed together with a scrumptious dill and garlic mayo, topped with lettuce, tomato and bacon, all served on a crisp croissant style bun. The soup I had for my side was a fantastic broccoli and cheddar soup, that was rich and velvety and tasted amazing. We were stuffed.

Another note about the odd service, our waiter dropped off the food, but had no ketchup for my friend’s fries. She managed to flag him down to get some ketchup, but when she asked for it, he gave her that weird/flustered look again and kind of stomped off to get it. Maybe he was having a bad day? He kind of disappeared towards the end of our meal, and another waiter checked on us, re-filled our drinks and cleared our plates. Our waiter did show up again when it was time to bring the bill, and was all smiles then.

Although the service was inconsistent, I would go back to this location again because they can get the food out fast, even in such a large restaurant, which is a must for one hour lunches, and the food was delicous.

Californian Downtown Reservations

Redwater Rustic Grille  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Red Water Calgary Downtown, Redwater Grill Calgary Downtown, Redwater Grill Calgary Reservations, Red Water Grill Calgary Downtown, Redwater Grille Menu, Red Water Grill Calgary, Redwatergrillcalgary, and Redwater Grill Calgary.