328 Centre St S
Calgary, AB T2G

Regency Palace

Neighborhoods: Downtown
Cuisine: Chinese, Buffet, Dim Sum

Regency Palace is a Chinese, Buffet, and Dim Sum restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal.

• 1/19/2014

A Chinese chowhound from Seattle, WA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 1/14/2014

A Chinese food lover from San Jose, CA tried it.

thekua photo

thekua

Royal Dim Sum? Not quite

It’d been probably three weeks since my last visit to a Dim Sum house when Jane suggested the idea of going on the weekend. I was certainly not going to turn this offer down, not only getting a chance to try the local interpretation, but also an opportunity to check out Calgary’s Chinatown at one of its busiest days.

Like most places in Calgary, arriving early has its benefits and when we sat down at Regency Palace by 11am, we certainly weren’t the first, yet it filled up almost shortly after.

I was overjoyed at seeing the plenty of carts zooming around, and much like a number of these I’d been to in New York, they complemented the carts with a number of standing stations just in case you couldn’t wait for right cart or wanted some noodles or vegetables.

Overall portion size, at least, compared to London’s dim sum is impressive with classic har gau or siu mai almost appearing twice as large. Unfortunately I’d have to say they didn’t have as much flavour or quality. The prawn dishes just didn’t seem to have really fresh flavours, the BBQ pork in the Cha Xiu Bao’s seemingly stringy without the sticky sweetness I’m used to.

Certainly Regency Palace offered much more variety and with a group of ten of us, I still really enjoyed my time there. I’d be keen to see what all the other places are like compared to this one, and though I’ve had better, I’m also certainly had much worse before.

hungrycat photo

hungrycat

Regency pretty good

All the dishes we had were pretty good. The grease factor was kept to a minimum and lo and behold… they had the Lo Mei Gui. The big sticky rice roll in lotus leaf. This is dying breed as most resturants go with Jun Gee Gui… 3 little sticky rice rolls. You get more gelantious pork gel in this so it’s best to opt for the big one. We had the standards Ha Gow and Sui Mei and Shrimp noodles. It was pretty good for a first time. The grease factor was held to a minimum. The dishes from the Express Stations were nice and hot.

fanso88 photo

fanso88

中環, Hong Kong

Dinner at Regency Palace Calgary

We flew all the way from Hong Kong to Calgary for my mom’s 80th b-day only. Unfortunately, the quality of the food was totally dissatisfied and the only comment – the dinner was way over-priced (CAD12xx).

VIP Room
The given VIP room seems like a reception area or a lounge bar, nearing the entrance. Staffs were even working (i.e. clean up glasses, doing some tableware) while we were having dinner. It was so annoying and disrespectful.

Braise Supreme Shark’s Fin:
A bowl of Bean sprouts with countable low graded shark’s fin on top. It tasted so salty and the Shark’s fin wasn’t supreme at all.

Braised Whole Fresh Abalone in Chicken Sauce:
The abalones were cheap canned type, The chef probably only needed a microware for making the dish. The source tasted the same as used for the Shark’s fin.

Braised Sea Cucumber with Vegetable:
I was impressed by the size of the plate, not anything on it. The vegetable was so salty and difficult to chew. The sea cucumber was ridiculously unacceptable! Again, the same source

Couple Jumbo Scallops:
It shouldn’t be hard to buy good scallops in Canada. The so-called “Jumbo” ones were small and tiny ones, with roughly estimated 1.2 inches in diameter. The worst thing was that some were sliced into two.

Steamed Fish with Soya Sauce:
Each one of us was served a very small portion of such low graded fish. If the chief wasn’t sure how to cook fishes like Grouper, Coral Grouper, etc, it might be better to serve the whole low graded fish, at least, to fill up our stomach.

Noodle with soup:
The crappy noodle tasted like Rubber band! It tasted horrible and sucks! The soup was just plain tasteless like water.

The birthday buns
It looks like to me that the chief wasn’t know how much time it needed to steam up the buns, some were remained cold inside. (This is quite a big surprise for every one of us)

We had 7 people and paid CAD 12xx for such disappointing dinner, it costs more than CAD 170 for each one of us. I understand that business means making profits, but most importantly, recurring clients are the major source of future revenue. There is a thin line between ripping off and making profits. The overall qualities of food and the waiter’s bad attitude have forced me to write this message; we were so pissed off. The restaurant should speak to the chief and the waiter, at least, to ask the chief changing the menu or lower the price by at least 30%.

(Why would this restaurant do something like that for us, especially on my Mom’s 80th birthday?)

twistedchinaman photo

twistedchinaman

Calgary, AB

The hot pot was okay, the buffet was far too...

The hot pot was okay, the buffet was far too understocked for a Saturday night. Dim sum will be the next trip, but I’m not holding my breath for stellar performances…

Chinese Buffet Dim Sum

Regency Palace  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Regency Palace Calgary, Regency Buffet Calgary, Hot Pot Calgary, Regency Restaurant Calgary Chinese, Regency Palace Dim Sum Calgary, Regency Calgary Dim Sum, and Regency Palace.