4020 Rue St-Ambroise
Montreal Metro Area, QC H4C 2C7

Restaurant L’Ambroisie

(Between Rue Louis-Cyr and Rue St-Augustin)

Neighborhoods: Le Sud-Ouest
Cuisine: French

Restaurant L’Ambroisie is a French restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

CheapEthnicEatz photo

CheapEthnicEatz

Reasonable priced French

Oh what a divine experience! Our last dinner was held at l’Ambroisie, a French cuisine restaurant tucked away in the industrial/gentrified part of Petit Bourgone, close to the Lachine Canal. It really is a hidden jewel…some having been lost for over 1hr before finding it lol. But so worth the effort of finding it.

Once you do enter the building one cannot help but be charmed by the architecture. The old Merchant Mills factory, now converted into lofts and the restaurant, still retains much of its industrial traits: the old wooden stair case walled by old brick, the long corridor with ancient creaking wood flooring, a display case and a few items testifying of its factory days. When you arrive into the restaurant you are amazed by the grandiose yet modern decor. Silly enough, my first reaction was “this is too nice for what the group is used too”!

We had an amazing turnout. Even a first, not a single no show! So impressed. On to the dining experience. Our waiter Kevin did a great job of taking care of us and was quickly friendly with us. The menu offered especially for us was just divine and, as far as French bistros go, very reasonably priced…table d’hôte was between 16 and 27$.

The starter was a delicious celery-rave (celeriac) soup or a salad. My friend and I could not help but order on the side the homemade Belgium fries and we did not regret it at all. Even the dessert was a lovely surprise. The usual crême brûlée was a popular choice, as was the chocolate mousse cake – a generous sweet portion. I think food wise this was one of the best outings ever. We had a lot of new people attend this outing and what an outing to first experience Cheap Ethnic Eatz . I had been searching for so long for a French bistro close to our price range and I just could not be happier with the culinary experience we had.

I highly recommend this place for a dinner outing. There is a large private room for parties with a dance floor and also in the summer a lovely terrace during warm summer nights. I am thinking of having the 2nd anniversary of Cheap Ethnic Eatz here in March. I am not crazy about repeating a restaurant so close in dates but for a bigger group I cannot think of a better place to be assured a great meal and a wonderful evening.

Assiette Marseilles

a chef’s mother’s recipe for bouillabaisse with lots of saffron. OMG it was so good. Other popular dishes ordered were the lamb chops and a chicken dish slowly cooked in a cream sauce. Everyone enjoyed every morsel on their plate. Everything was delicious.

rwarren69 photo

rwarren69

Montréal, QC

full of holes -- the bread, the menu, the service, .....

I returned to this restaurant for dinner. I had been part of the group dinner hosted by CheapEthnicEats three years ago — I don’t remember what I ate that night, but it had been a relatively pleasant evening. What a very different experience unfolded this night, with a smaller group (12 people).

I was the first to arrive. The waitress offered me a choice to sit inside or outside. I chose outside, remembering that the invitation involved terrasse seating and the weather was quite nice. The waitress showed me that two complete table arrangements were set up for our group: one inside and one outside, “in case of rain.” I took my seat on the sparsely populated terrasse, but no menus were forthcoming. Menus were not offered until the third wave of arrivals came, and someone specifically asked for a menu. Drink orders were taken literally one person at a time: write down the beverage desired, scamper off inside to place the order, return several minutes later and ask bubbily again, “does anyone want a drink?” We found this quite bizarre.

The menu listed one page of à la carte items, and four table d’hôtes. Some of the menus also contained an insert with “4à7” items, nibbles that are suited to accompany drinks. Since the menus were presented after 7:00, none of these were suggested to me while I waited.

Before orders were taken, the waitress announced that two items were not available: one from the à la carte and one of the four table d’hôtes. Ironically, the one I was about to select! The waitress was very helpful in describing alternate selections, but each time I asked about placing an order, the answer was “oh just two more minutes, just five more minutes….” Finally, a full hour after my arrival (and just when I considered dining elsewhere) the waitress was ready for us. She took the first order and announced, “Oh I need to check how many we have of each table d’hôte.” And she scampered away again. We wondered what was behind that remark. When the waitress returned, she explained, “There was only one Fazzoletti available [the pasta table d’hôte] and this lady has just ordered it.” There went my second choice! She assured us that nothing else in the menu was sold out. And another few minutes were allotted to select yet again.

Finally I got to order, and I decided on the duck. “How would you like it cooked?” What a very unusual question! I have not eaten duck very often, but I didn’t realize I had a choice! I decided on medium, and the waitress thought that was a good choice. Um okay whatever….

The better part of half an hour passed, and bread was placed on the table. The first morsel of food since my arrival! We pounced on the bread. Chunks of baguettes nestled in baskets, woefully short of butter. And the bread had large air holes in it. Only after most of the bread had been eaten, did the waitress bring out bread plates.

Appetizers, and later main dishes, arrived eventually. Plates were handed out in what seemed to be a random order. My plates, I noticed, were clearly the last to arrive. During the meal, I visited the restroom and on the way back to my seat, noticed the blackboard of daily specials in the entrance. The two choices that were announced as sold out were plainly marked on the board as still available.

After the dessert orders were taken, it took more than 20 minutes for them to arrive. Meantime the (mostly unused) bread plates and extra (clean) napkins were collected. I wondered how long it could possibly take to cut a piece of cake and put it on a plate — especially when not everyone ordered a dessert. What arrived was a miniscule crumb of cake, not even cut straight! And the waitress had made a point of bringing a pile of extra forks “in case you want to share” — well three bites and mine was gone, nothing to share!

I finished my “dessert” and tea, and was more than ready to leave. The waitress must have read my mind because she came by to inquire about bringing bills. And she announced that because our group was more than 10 people, a 15% service charge would be added to each bill. You have got to be joking, I wondered aloud! But there it was, helpfully highlighted in orange. Nowhere on the menu or website is there any mention of service charges. And none were charged on my previous visit, with a much larger group! I was seething with rage. My evening was now truly ruined. That performance did not merit any reward. My hands shook as I counted out the money to pay my bill — without the extortion fee. And I bolted before my visit, currently at three hours and 20 minutes, dragged out any longer.

What a disappointing evening! We were shocked at how half of the daily dinner specials could be sold out before our arrival. As for the food that was served, some of it was very nice but overall I found it a letdown. Service left an awful lot to be desired: someone who did not attend and heard my tale wondered if I received different treatment because I did not order alcohol. Perhaps this place is deserted for a reason. I should have trusted my initial instinct to flee! I certainly will not be back here.

curried vegetable soup

This was the best part of the meal. The soup was a warm yellow color, with a bold curry flavor that was not overspiced. The vegetables had been puréed, but bits of orange and green remained visible. More of a winter offering, but definitely delicious.

magret of duck with Calvados

The dish was dominated by vegetables: long potato wedges (much better than the French fries on other plates), green beans, long strips of colored peppers. The duck portion consisted of half a dozen dark coin-shaped slices, tucked under the veggies and covered in a tasty gravy. Their “medium” translated into slightly rubbery, more the texture of kidneys. Underneath it all was a green dribble of flavored oil.

While this tasted reasonable (except for the rubberiness), after seeing pictures of duck magret on Google, I do not believe I was served the breast. Perhaps the leg. Definitely not worth the price.

chocolate Kahlua mousse cake

This is a three-layer cake: a thin vanilla cake bottom (stale), a pile of chocolate mousse (light and fluffy, still holding its shape), and a super-thin puddle of bitter chocolate on top. No taste of Kahlua at all. the serving was about the size of a business card, cut crooked, and served on a long plate with a drizzle of tasteless raspberry(?) coulis. The two stars is for the taste of the mousse only, otherwise it merits a ZERO.

Encoresara photo

Encoresara

Hidden gem in the city

An incredible find. This restaurant has everything you want in fine dining with casual prices. The TDH was mostly under $30. The food was INCREDIBLE. The atmosphere is UNBELIEVABLY GORGEOUS.

I cannot say enough about this wonderful place. Everyone must experience it for themselves. We were a group of over 80 that took over the whole place. Unbelievably the service was still completely reasonable in speed/efficiency.

The decor is art deco and nouveau. Its absolutely beautiful and makes the diner feel that they are really stepping out in class.

Fantastic wine list, neat off the wall location in the old Calico Vision (spelling??) building where you can see old cabbage patch dolls and pacman games while waiting to be seated.

Very unusual and satisfying experience all around. Must go back!

7/13/2019

A Chinese food lover from Gatineau, QC tried Kam Shing Chinese Restaurant in Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.

6/25/2019

A dining patron from Gretna, LA tried Riverview Restaurant Pizzeria in Verdun.

5/30/2019

A diner from Victoria, BC tried Chao Phraya in Le Plateau-Mont-Royal.

5/25/2019

A diner from Terrebonne, QC tried Restaurant Lo Stivale D'Oro in Ville-Marie.

5/23/2019

A dining patron from Montréal, QC tried St. Pius X Culinary Institute in Ahuntsic-Cartierville and liked it. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

5/13/2019

A food lover from Trois-rivières, QC tried Restaurant Kim Foo in Peter-McGill.

4/09/2019

A dining patron from Lasalle, QC tried Restaurant Trattoria Trestevere in Peter-McGill.

2/28/2019

A chowhound from Toronto, ON tried Restaurant El Parador in Cote-des-Neiges-Notre-Dame-de-Grace, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

2/08/2019

A dining patron from CA tried Pendeli's Pizza in Hampstead.

12/31/2018

A dining patron from South Weymouth, MA tried China Plaza Restaurant.

French Atwater Terrasse
Bocxgmnz0r3pvpaby-ekyc
CheapEthnicEatz

Dg_w7emrkr3ru-aby-dz5h
AnimaBlue

Restaurant L’Ambroisie  Restaurant Reviews

Restaurant L’Ambroisie is located near the cities of St Colomban and Saint Colomban.
People found this by searching for: St Ambroiserie Montreal, Resto Ambroisie Montreal Review, Restaurant L'ambroisie Montréal, L'ambroisie Restaurant Review Montreal, Restaurant L'ambroisie Montreal Review, Restaurante Ambrosie Montreal, Restaurant Lèambroisine Montreal, Restaurant L'ambroisie Montreal, and Canadian Restaurant Ambroisie.