1509 4th St

Cuisine: Cafe, Lunch, Vegetarian

CleverGrrl photo

CleverGrrl

Um.... yikes.

Sushi places are a dime a dozen in Santa Monica. This one was new, so a friend and I thought we’d take a chance on Roll House Sushi.

I wasn’t disappointed, exactly; but it wasn’t the most impressive sushi place ever, either. I suppose I need to cut them some slack, since they’re new; but that’s an excuse for only so long.

My experience started when I telephoned to make a reservation at around 5 pm. The person who answered the phone said “hello?” instead of “Roll House Sushi,” requiring me to have to inquire as to whether this was, in fact, the sushi place. The guy, hurriedly and confusedly, said “yeah.” I asked for a reservation for two people, and the guy was about to hang up when I said “um, don’t you need my name?” “Oh, yeah,” this rocket scientist said. “What’s your name?”

When my friend and I arrived, we asked for an outdoor seat, as it was insanely hot even at 6:30 pm, and the inside – all dark wood and small spaces – seemed like it would intensify the heat.

After the first minute of being seated, my sensitive nose smelled cigarette smoke from the adjacent table. I couldn’t confirm this without turning around, but I did once the other patron left. I also noticed a large sticker on the restaurant’s window right next to our table, which said “Keep Santa Monica’s Air Clean – No Smoking Within 20 feet of this Restaurant.” Clearly, whoever put that sticker on the window forgot to communicate this directive to the restaurant’s staff, who allowed that woman to pollute the air within about three feet of the restaurant’s door — and right next to our table.

The rolls took their time coming out, considering the place was virtually empty when we were there. They were little more than FrankenSushi – flaccid, insipid “fusion” sushi combining improbable ingredients such as fish, mayonnaise and grilled pineapple with less than inspired results.

The service here is indifferent at best. Despite the stifling heat and few other patrons, we went thirsty for around a half an hour, with no refills on the water until the bill finally arrived.

Would I go back? Only if the sushi places that are much closer to me are totally packed, and I’m desperate. I’m kind of shocked at the four-and-a-half stars this place has gotten from other reviewers.

Online Ordering Sushi Bars Takeout

Roll House Sushi  Restaurant Reviews

Roll House Sushi is located near the cities of Sawtelle, Venezia, Venice, Pacific Palisades, and De Witt.
People found this by searching for: Sushi Roll House 90401, Sushi On 4th In Santa Monica, Roll House Santa Monica, and Roll House 1509 4th St., Santa Monica, Ca 90401.