243 California Dr
Burlingame, CA 94010

Sakae Restaurant

Neighborhoods: Downtown
Cuisine: Japanese, Catering, Grill

Sakae Restaurant is a Japanese, Catering, and Grill restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.

chicanery photo

chicanery

San Francisco, CA

High quality, but unrefined sushi

So here’s my thing on Sakae. The chef surely knows how to pick excellent fish. Whether he gets up to go to the fish markets at 4:30 or trusts someone else to pick them for him, he’s got a great source. The fish quality is nearly top notch. Additionally, he has an excellent variety of fish, including several things I had never had before, including Mishima beef (more rare than Kobe?), seki saba (mackeral that must be line caught, killed and treated in accordance with strict standards), and baby eel (looked more like thin, white fettucini with eyes in a bowl).

However, my problem with Sakae is in the preparation of the sushi. I must have the most unfortunate luck, but on this occasion, I not only encountered a fish scale, but a SEA URCHIN SPIKE in my uni. The rice is barely packed together at all, so that even when picked up gently with my hand, and lightly dipped (fish side down!) in the soy sauce, several pieces of sushi fell apart. Furthermore, the o-toro still had chewy tendon cutting through the piece. Otoro should just melt, no chewing necessary.

I may have come on the chef’s off or busy night, and I’m willing to give it another shot, but while I was very impressed with the fish quality, the preparation left something to be desired.

Japanese Parking Catering
Mon-Sat 05:30PM - 10:00PM
Tue-Thu 11:30AM - 02:00PM
Fri 11:30AM - 02:30PM
Sat 12:00PM - 02:30PM
Sun 05:30PM - 09:30PM

Sakae Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

Sakae Restaurant is located near the cities of Hillsborough, Millbrae, Uninc San Mateo County, and San Mateo.
People found this by searching for: Sakae Restaurant Burlingame Ca, Tomokazu Burlingame Menu, Burlingame Restaurants Downtown, Sakae Restaurant, Sakae Burlingame, Sakae Burlingame Lunch Menu, and Tomokazu Burlingame.