2122 Beverly Boulevard

Salakot Sizzle & Grill Inc

Neighborhoods: Westlake
Cuisine: Filipino, BBQ, Fish

• 8/31/2019

A dining patron from Northridge, CA tried it.

• 9/20/2013

A diner from Würzburg, 02 tried it and liked it.

PaulaF photo

PaulaF

Superb and superior at Salakot

Awesome, authentic Pinoy cooking! Keep in mind that I’ve got high standards for Filipino food, having grown up in a family of excellent cooks and plus having visited Manila frequently throughout junior high and high school. And yes, Salakot was a a home run. Our group ordered the following:

- Lumpia Shanghai (crispy pork egg rolls with sweet and sour dipping sauce)
- Sinigang w/ sugpo (tamarind based soup with veggies and large shrimp)
- Chicken adobo (chicken simmered in vinegar, soy, garlic, and peppercorns)
- Crispy pata (deep fried seasoned pork hocks)
- Kare-kare (oxtail and veggies stewed in peanut sauce served with bagoong or shrimp paste on the side)
- Bicol express (mixed seafood cooked in coconut milk)
- Pork sisig (diced pork w/ onions and peppers)
- Pancit bihon (rice noodles w. chopped veggies, chicken, and shrimp)

My thoughts are on some of these dishes are: This had wonderfully crispy skin with juicy, tender, flavorful meat inside. This was one of my favorite dishes here, and everyone at our table loved it.

The kare-kare had a thick, rich sauce (it really annoys me when places water down their kare-kare sauce) with just the right amount of sweetness to contrast the saltiness of the bagoong. The bagooong was good quality too (didn’t have that artificial aftertaste that cheap versions have). I was also impressed with how the kare-kare had a good balance of meat and vegetables.

The sinigang was also yummy – both refreshing and heartwarming and nicely tart (not quite as tart as the version I grew up with, but my family makes ours super sour, and most people aren’t that extreme). Like the kare-kare, the sinigang was well balanced with the protein and veggies (included green beans, string beans, okra, radish, and chinese cabbage).

For those of you who are fans of pepper, the pork sisig, the spicy version, is a must. It has a strong pepper kick without overwhelming the flavors of the pork and onions. I usually get the more vinegary version of pork sisig, but as someone who also loves pepper, I give this version a big thumbs up.

I was even a fan of the pancit bihon, and I don’t even typically go for bihon noodles, as I usually order the canton noodles (thick egg noddles). I particularly liked how it was generous with the protein and veggies and wasn’t just a bunch of bland noodles.

Overall, everything was excellent, fresh and not greasy. The service was friendly, the prices were reasonable (we each paid $14ish), and there’s even a free parking lot! It’s hard to choose favorites amongst these dishes but my top two were the crispy pata and the kare-kare. Everyone in our group had different favorites, tho, just a matter of personal preference. I can’t wait to return to try dishes!
Edit Remove

Crispy pata

This is oxtail and veggies stewed in peanut sauce served with bagoong or shrimp paste on the side. Deep fried pork hocks – need I say more? This had wonderfully crispy skin with juicy, tender, flavorful meat inside. This was one of my favorite dishes here, and everyone at our table loved it

Kare-kare

Had a thick, rich sauce (it really annoys me when places water down their kare-kare sauce) with just the right amount of sweetness to contrast the saltiness of the bagoong. The bagooong was good quality too (didn’t have that artificial aftertaste that cheap versions have). I was also impressed with how the kare-kare had a good balance of meat and vegetables.

Fried calamari appetizer

Calamari appetizer with vinegar-garlic dipping sauce: The squid is very tender and coated in a light batter, not at all heavy. A great appetizer to kick off your meal with.

Ginataang na hipon (shrimp and vegetables and in coconut milk)

Wow, this is the best version of this dish I’ve ever had. The shrimp are stewed in a thick, savory coconut sauce along with squash, string beans, and some tiny diced green chilies.

Filipino Takeout Good For Kids

Salakot Sizzle & Grill Inc  Restaurant Reviews

Salakot Sizzle & Grill Inc is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Sizzle Inc Restaurants, Salakot Grill Los Angeles, Salakot Sizzle, Salakot Sizzle And Grill, Salakot Sizzle And Grill Los Angeles Ca, Salakot Restaurant Los Angeles, Salakot Restaurant, Salakot Grill, and Salakot.