7125 Mills Civic Pkwy
West Des Moines, IA 50266

Samurai Sushi and Hibachi

Cuisine: Sushi, Kid's Menu, Lunch

Samurai Sushi and Hibachi is a Sushi, Kid's Menu, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Minneapolis, MN

Live Oysters are Amazing!

Again, these sushi places in Iowa just kept being full of surprises. Samurai is located at Jordan Creek Town Center near the Jordan Creek mall. And interesting location to find a sushi place, much less a real quality sushi place.

The inside is rather generic with a bar and sushi bar on one side and hibachi tables on the other. We sat on the sushi/bar side. It was a very square area with dark walls, only a few booths, sushi bar and my good old friend regular booze bar. A lit waterfall covered the wall behind the sushi bar (majestic!), but then to the right hung a big plastic Pepsi sign (you know, the kind you see at a baseball stadium refreshment stand) with the day’s specials.

Tim the owner came over to the table to explain how to eat our appetizers (live oysters!) and tell us all we ever wanted to know about his business. I was surprised to find out he had another location in the Quad Cities. This would be the last place on earth I would go in search of sushi.

Overall, the place was good with the freshness of the fish being above average compared to other places I’ve been. The servers were attentive and I got to try some things I had never tried before. Tim was a delightful fellow and he let us in on the ‘frequent customer specials’. Basically if you go a lot and you know what you’re looking for they will provide. If you are dangerous ask for what’s not on the menu. I will be back in search of the cuddle fish special!

Live Oyster Special

I didn’t quite know what to expect in regards to the ‘live’ part. I guess technically oysters on the half shell aren’t alive, just chilled. So to me ‘live’ equals really, really fresh – and they were! 4 oyster halves rested on a bed of crushed ice. Each piece was individually sauced and topped with cilantro and a small amount of sriracha sauce. Amazing! Even my boyfriend agreed and he’s not a big oyster fan. Guess the extra freshness really counts.

Tuna Roll

Love me some tuna and I have to say this was definitely in the top 2. The tuna was a deep red and more soft, fatty and oily than I’m used to (these are all good qualities). The owner Tim had mentioned that they go light on the rice and use bigger pieces of fish than most places do. I would agree.

Delux Rainbow Roll

Tuna, Yellowtail, scallion and asparagus rolled in rice and nori, topped with assorted fishes. Again, the tuna featured in this roll was a deep red color and ultra delicious. I’m trying to think back to the kinds of fish it was topped with. Definitely salmon, maybe some hamachi, shrimp and other varieties of tuna. All very fresh.

Iowa Roll

I can guarantee you will only find the IOWA Roll at Samurai. Inside: spicy salmon, eel, cream cheese, crab meat, avocado and masago (caplin fish eggs)…there was roe in that? Outside: rice, nori and tempura batter. Then the whole thing is deep fried.

I give it 3 only because I don’t personally enjoy my sushi deep fried. It was pretty awesome though. Not your typical sushi roll, but then again, sushi shouldn’t be typical. That, and I can check ‘eating IOWA Roll’ of my list of lifelong goals.

Sushi Takeout Kid's Menu
Sat 11:00AM - 10:30PM
Sun 12:00PM - 09:00PM
Mon-Thu 04:30PM - 10:00PM
Fri 11:00AM - 02:30PM
Fri 04:30PM - 10:30PM
Mon-Thu 11:00AM - 02:30PM

Samurai Sushi and Hibachi  Restaurant Reviews

Samurai Sushi and Hibachi is located near the cities of Windsor Heights and Clive.
People found this by searching for: Japanese Hibachi Restaurants In Des Moines, Sushi Bar Des Moines, Sushi Jordan Creek, Samurai Sushi Menu, Samauri West Des Moines Iowa Roll, "Samurai West Des Moines", Sushi Restaurant In Des Moines,Ia, Samurai West Des Moines, and Hibachi West Glen.