655 Rue Jarry W
Montreal Metro Area, QC H3N 1G3

Sana

(Between Avenue Bloomfield and Avenue de l'Épée)

Neighborhoods: Villeray-Saint-Michel-Parc-Extension
Cuisine: Indian, Vegetarian

Sana is a Indian and Vegetarian restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped less than 15%.

• 11/19/2013

An Indian chowhound from Montréal, QC tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Very inexpensive

The restaurant is not too bad. Service was like if you did not really exist. They are too busy serving take out. The looks where ok. Very familly oriented which I didn’t mind. In all I think they have good dishes, you just need to find them. This was our first experience there. Unbeatable price. $20 for two. I wil try other dishes next time.

Lamb Byriani

Not expensive but missing flavor.

Butter Chicken

The worst one I have tasted in a long time. You can tell they are adding Chicken brooth.

Naan

Great, very good.

Saag

Very good. Good spice

rwarren69 photo

rwarren69

Montréal, QC

Double take

I was here twice, both times for supper. The first time, this small place was really busy. People of all ages were sitting at tables, including families with small children. Plus, there was a steady stream of takeout orders flowing out of the kitchen, and a TV showing news in Arabic. It wasn’t quite pandemonium, but it would have been easy to get lost in the shuffle. On the second visit, a weeknight with a larger group, it was much quieter.

Both times, it took a long time (more than 20 minutes) for our table to be ready. I had to sit at a different table and wait while our group’s table was put together. It seemed to be a bother to arrange this for us.

Service was very slow, but polite. When the restaurant was busy, it was difficult to get anyone’s attention when we needed something. Yet they did not seem to be in any hurry to kick us out. with the larger group, there were many mistakes and mixups on the orders — almost everything I ordered had a problem. Wrong drink — naan arrived halfway through main course (eaten extra slowly in anticipation of naan) — appetizer arrived without the sauce, and after main course, when I was too full to finish it.

For dessert, instead of ordering off the menu, we picked an assortment of Indian sweets out of the showcase at the cash. For $6, you get a paper bag with one pound (10-12) bite-sized treats including gulab jamun (a type of doughnut ball), an almond fudge, and a firm milky ball. All of the sweets I’ve tried have been really good, even if the staff doesn’t know the names or flavors. What confused the server was having the order split up, into two half-pound bags, so two people could enjoy a little something. Finally she said: “Oh! one order two bags!” Also if you pay cash, you get some kind of discount but the order doesn’t go in the register and you don’t get a bill.

I might go back, but probably stick with takeout.

#38 Chicken Jalfresi

By far the spiciest Jalfresi I have ever eaten. This stew had huge chunks of chicken, onions, and other vegetables in plenty of tomato sauce. Naan and rice are sold separately. I was ok with the spice level, but my tablemate found it too powerful for her, and she mixed some plain rice into the liquid to tone it down.

#39 Chicken Ginger

The chicken was cut in shreds — thicker than pulled pork shreds — and coated in a thick red sauce, with matchstick slices of ginger mixed in. This made for an unappetizing texture. It was heavy and did not taste homemade, spices were well toned down. The naan arrived halfway through the meal.

Samosas

You get two huge samosas with the order. They were filled with the traditional potato filling, and deep-fried and crispy. Two interesting twists: the pastry had spices in it (very unusual) and the dipping sauce (if you get one) was minty. A nice change from the usual tamarind sauce! I would get these again.

Dessert by the pound

Indian Vegetarian Takeout

Sana  Restaurant Reviews

Sana is located near the cities of St Colomban and Saint Colomban.
People found this by searching for: Sana Jarry, Restaurant Sana Jarry, Sana Montreal, Sana Restaurant Montreal, Take Out Menu Sana Jarry, Restaurant Sana Montreal, Sana Montreal Menu, Sana Restaurant Montreal Menu, and Sana Indian Restaurant Montreal Menu.