580 Geary Street
San Francisco, CA 94102

Savoy Hotel

Cuisine: Chinese

Savoy Hotel is a Chinese restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.

calvincrazy27 photo

calvincrazy27

Pasadena, CA

First of all

I thought about saving this personal milestone review for a really special, uber fancy, cream-of-the-crop bastion of haute cuisine.

But after some thought, a place that just serves good food from the soul, seemed to be more deserving.

Ok, what can I add about Savoy Kitchen that hasn’t been mentioned by the last hundred or so reviews.

Hainan chicken rice.

I’ve been craving it for a while, finding it incredibly hard to come by in most of LA county. Asking around where I could find a good plate of chicken rice, the same answer kept coming up over and over again.

I figured it had to be a sign.

So I finally took the time to check it out after work, and honestly, its very easy to miss and drive past if it wasn’t for trusty google maps. Very tiny, cozy, with minimal table seating (counter seating if you want to eat alone) and at first glance you see the american diner style menu up in the wall, you wonder if you’re in the right place (burgers, pizza, pasta, uh, what?). Luckily the chinese ladies working in the kitchen and behind the counter shouting mandarin to the mostly chinese dine-in and take out customers helped to clear some of the confusion. Also looking at their paper menu helped me find the hainan chicken I so desired.

Hainan Chicken

I ordered a side garden salad for $3.50 which was your typical iceberg lettuce/tomato/cucumber salad and was nice guilt/palate cleanser for the main act. Thankfully it appears that the price for the Hainan chicken rice hasn’t gone up in price recently as it was still $6.50 on the menu. You get a very decent portion of tender, juicy, poached white and dark meat chicken, free of gristle, bones and cooked evenly, but not overcooked. The rice has the nice, subtle, savory chicken stock flavour that I was hoping for, and mixing in some of the ginger and chili sauce on the side into the rice made it an enjoyable meal in itself.

Eating the chicken rice made me flash back to when my Chinese mom would make it for me as a kid as a treat. Until I remembered I’m not chinese nor did my mom ever make it.

Yep, food good enough to give me false childhood memories.

Now I hear that the curry is excellent as well and not to be missed. Next time I’ll have to go with company and maybe order one of each to get the full experience.

Chinese Singaporian Alhmabra

Savoy Hotel  Restaurant Reviews

Savoy Hotel is located near the cities of Hayes Valley, Mission District, , Chinatown, and Haight Ashbury.
People found this by searching for: Hainan Chicken Rice Sf, Savoyhotel San Francisco, Hainan Chicken Sf, Hainan Chinese Restaurants San Francisco, Chicken With Champagne Sauce, The Savoy Hotel In San Francisco California Resaraunts And Menus, and Savoy Hotel San Francisco.