Madison Square Park, Se Corner
New York, NY 10010

Shake Shack

Neighborhoods: Mapleton
Cuisine: Burgers, Hamburgers, Lunch

Shake Shack is a Burgers, Hamburgers, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped less than 15%.

Overall
Pros
"the shack stack!"
"Awesome food. Fun to eat in the park. "
"shack burger!"
Cons
"Great burgers"
"Long lines"
"Long lines"
  • 7/01/2015

A dining patron from Cupertino, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, didn't like the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 7/03/2015

John tried it and didn't like it. John liked the food.

• 7/02/2015

A dining patron from Mountain View, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 12/03/2014

A diner from San Jose, CA tried it.

• 10/30/2014

A Burgers chowhound from San Jose, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    the shack stack!
    Cons
    Long lines
  • 6/21/2013

A Burgers food lover from Milpitas, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it . They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

• 7/26/2013

Justin tried it, liked it, and rated it . Justin liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.

Pros
    Awesome food. Fun to eat in the park.
  • 7/18/2013

• 7/09/2013

A diner from US tried it.

• 3/22/2013

A Burgers chowhound from Los Altos, CA tried it and liked it.

QB
foodite photo

foodite

Expect Long Lines for Tasty Burgers

Long lines, slow service, but very tasty burgers – Shake Shack tops my list of cheap burgers in the city. Don’t miss the seasonal flavors of concretes (extra thick shakes) and the crisp crinkle fries.

Shroom Burger

Very tasty vegetarian, but not healthy, alternative to the Shack – a deep fried and breaded portabello cap serves as the meatless patty

shpladaow photo

shpladaow

San Jose, CA

Great burgers, a little pricey

Yes, the meat quality is much better than In-N-Out, but you would expect that at almost twice the price for the same size burger. Don’t get me wrong, I love the burgers, but I just wish they had more toppings like grilled onions (I prefer more flavors with my meat).
The Shake Shack is definitely the perfect place to grab a burger and shake and chill in the park on a nice, sunny day.

Warning: Watch out for the birds- they’ll poop on you!

Yum

chicanery photo

chicanery

Shake Shack > In n Out

Go on a rainy day, or even just a cloudy day, to skip the lines. Avoid lunch time like the plague. On one of those perfect autumn or summer days, when the sky is cloudless, and it’s not so humid you’re sweating out of your eyeballs, Shake Shack is the perfect destination.

It’s outdoors, in a park, slightly set back from the streets, and they serve beer and wine to go along with your burger.

And they even have a menu item for your dog! The Poochini ($2.50 last I checked) is peanut butter topped with a bit of custard and two doggy biscuits.

The highest praise I can give to this restaurant comes from my friend, whom I forcibly took there against his will. Particularly when he saw the one hour line. He grumbled the whole time — and then scarfed down his burger and wondered why I didn’t tell him to get two; they’re that good. And the crinkle cut fries! So crispy on the outside, so soft and hot on the inside.

Shack Burger

The patty is perfectly seasoned, and in perfect proportion to the buns, which are nicely toasted. There’s some special sauce (who doesn’t have a special sauce?) and it all comes together in a blissful burger.

Gromit photo

Gromit

Pittsburgh, PA

A Pleasant Surprise

On a recent trip to NY, my friend took me to this burger place. The burgers are great and expect to shell out $10-15 for a shack burger, fries and custard/concrete.
The burger was tasty and juicy but could have used some red onions.
Don’t forget the fries!!!

Shack Burger

The burger was tasty and juicy but could have used some red onions.

HaniOmarKhalil photo

HaniOmarKhalil

New York, NY

The lines grow ever-longer here; I guess word has been go...

The lines grow ever-longer here; I guess word has been going around that the search for the Best Burger in New York really ends here. The beefy blend of ground brisket is just the right size, and-coupled with a Purple Cow and a Peanut Butter concrete- is just what the summer ordered.

And apart from their inexplicable use of lettuce, they also have the closest thing to real bona fide Chicago-style hot dogs in this city. Trust me, I’ve looked

If you can hazard the wait.

Yes, the line can often be ridiculous. And I...

Yes, the line can often be ridiculous. And I don’t think I’d wait over 30 minutes. But the burgers here are truly excellent; every single time I’m so happy to be eating my shack burger. The custard flavors are also unique (salted caramel, mango lassi, sweet corn, etc.) and very tasty.

If you go, try to go at an off-time – a late lunch, late dinner, etc. The line at these times can often be quite manageable (for the Shack at least) and the food is completely worth 15 minutes standing in beautifully shady Madison Square Park. And dining on a nice summer night under the lights of Shake Shack with a great burger and a beer or wine is one of those things that makes me smile and happy to live in New York.

jmutan photo

jmutan

yummy burger!

Love the burger and the ambiance! It’s a great place to enjoy a shroom burger and enjoy the city park too. The only downfall is its high price. Get ready to spend at least $20 for burgers, fries, drinks and concrete.

Shroom Burger

mushroom and cheese deep fried, bad for you but yummy in the tummy!

MichaelNamikas photo

MichaelNamikas

Long Island City, NY

I love this place. The best of its kind.

I love this place. The best of its kind.

ironchefsam photo

ironchefsam

New York, NY

It doesn't get much better than a Shack Burger and cheese...

It doesn’t get much better than a Shack Burger and cheese fries. When it comes to good burgers, there’s a fine line between greasy and greatness, but they get it right here everytime. Madison Square Park is a great dining room in the summer. 1 star deduction for the long line.

BananaWoo photo

BananaWoo

Minneapolis, MN

Greatness Takes Time

We arrived at the Shack on a Saturday afternoon and the line had already formed. Located in Madison Square Park we didn’t mind standing in line and enjoying the weather and take in the burger smell. It did go really slow though. We probably ended up waiting for more than a half hour, but it was well worth it.

The small shack only has 2 order windows (probably the reason for the line), but the staff was friendly enough. If you stay in the park they give you a buzzer to let you know when your food is ready. I think we might have waited an hour totally from line to table with food, but all that aside, best cheese fries EVER! The burger wasn’t bad either. The shack sauce was a little spicy (excellent) and there was just enough to add a little flavor. The burger was juicy, not overly seasoned, just really good beef. The cheese fries were crispy crinkle cut with a cheddar cheese sauce. I expected nacho cheese, you know, the kind you get from the gas station, but it was nothing like that. It was actually sort of light. Really creamy, not too salty, just the right amount of cheese flavor. Add the scenery and weather and all memories of waiting in line don’t seem to matter.

My only regret: I should have ordered more. If you’re going to wait for an hour for food stock up! Also, the food was absolutely great, probably one of the best burger meals I’ve had and I would have definitely ate more if I had it. A word of advice, be prepared to wait so don’t come hungry.

Cheese Fries

Best cheese fries EVER!

Shack Burger

The burger was juicy, not overly seasoned, just really good beef. Served with shack sauce, lettuce and tomato.

kristenbr photo

kristenbr

New York, NY

The only place in town worth standing and...

The only place in town worth standing and listening to some jackhole’s cell phone conversation for 20 minutes because it really is that good.

GracePoon photo

GracePoon

New York, NY

i waited for about 40 minutes for a shack burger and purp...

i waited for about 40 minutes for a shack burger and purple cow concrete. it was worth it… love the atmosphere in the park cept for fear of bugs on my food. but its good… well worth the wait! kind of romantic with the lights in the park at night time… very relaxing

great burger place that paolo introduced me to today.. it...

great burger place that paolo introduced me to today… it shall be my hangout spot once i start work… only 3 blocks away from ny life… i had the double shack burger today… basically a double cheeseburger… but id highly recommend the shroom burger… oh so delicioso… thanks paolo!!

john photo

john

San Jose, CA

Completely worth the price (and a 20 minute wait)

I’d heard tons about Shake Shack and its phenomenal burgers, so I was ready to brave the hour+ lines to try some of the magic for myself. As luck would have it, both times that I dined here the line was 15 minutes or less. I guess people don’t crave burgers during the evening commute.

After trying a Shack Burger and a Shack Stack, I can wholeheartedly say that the place lives up to the hype. And hyped it was – we saw an Italian video crew filming some kind of review at one of the tables.

I’d come back here anyday, assuming the weather’s bearable and the line’s not more than 25 minutes. They need to open branches in California to give In ’N Out a run for its money.

Shack Burger

Phenomenally flavorful patty and a tasty secret sauce. Could use more toppings.

Shack Stack

Goodness, this is where it’s at. Take a Shack Burger and slap on a breaded, deep-fried, cheese-stuffed portabella mushroom? Solid gold.

its good but it ain't THAT good! i'd expect bigger! the c...

its good but it ain’t THAT good! i’d expect bigger! the chicken-dog was great though!!

Nothing new to add here, except to say that it is worth t...

Nothing new to add here, except to say that it is worth the wait. And get the thick shake. You will not regret it.

parkhyein photo

parkhyein

New York, NY

Almost as good as everyone says.

Almost as good as everyone says.

You have to stop in --Truly Awesome

I have been here many times.I almost want to move in and live there. Every time I come to New York I stop in almost everyday.

Thanks Brigitte Grisanti Huge New York Yankees Fan!!!

mikep1983 photo

mikep1983

Shack Stack = Crack

I know sometimes this place may seem overrated, especially when the lines are just insanely long…but then I bite into the shack stack and it makes all those worries disappear. The only bad thing is that it’s a bit small…but then again I don’t know how much more fat and cheese I could realistically handle. It’s just so addictive that I always want more! In my opinion…if you’re going to wait in line for shake shack…might as well get the shack stack! I cheeseburger topped with an exploding cheese mushroom…i mean…come on! The cheese fries are also delicious, and I like to finish it all off with an arnold palmer. yum.

CjBegley photo

CjBegley

San Francisco, CA

Vegetarian Cheesy Delights? Wha? At Shake Shack?

Sooo You might call someone crazy for going to Shake Shack and not getting the Shroom burger, or the Shack burger…ok I’m crazy, whatever.
I got a plain grilled cheese with cheese fries and a concrete shake. It looked like it was pounded with a mallet but it tasted like the mallet was in the hand of the mighty tasty cheese God. Not to mention the crinkle cuts were so good they were gone within 28 seconds.
It’s worth the wait, and it’s an awesome place to sit….why not.

Grilled Cheese

Like I said, pounded with the mallet of the tasty cheese God

korovdoil photo

korovdoil

Delicious

Shake Shack is great. Try the new location on 77/Columbus.

Very good

I'm in love with the cheesburgers and fries.

I’m in love with the cheesburgers and fries.

I was worried about the wait. It was raining...

I was worried about the wait. It was raining that day. It was funny to see people sitting at wet tables with burgers in one hand and umbrellas with the other. Lucky for me, I got there early enough that the wait wasn’t that long. The burgers and fries were absolutely delicious!! Not to mention, the price wasn’t bad at all. I’m definitely going back!

Worth the wait. The shack burger lit up my world.

Worth the wait. The shack burger lit up my world.

drewbike photo

drewbike

Denver, CO

Surpassed expectations, big time

I heard about the Shake Shack via kottke.org. I don’t live in NYC, in fact I live two time zones away, but this establishment was at the top of my list of desirable destinations when I visited recently. At 2:00 pm on a cool overcast day, the line was about 20 minutes long, not too bad, considering the waiting area was more pleasant than most restaurants. I’ve waited that long at good Halal stands in midtown, but th Shake Shack’s fare was definitely several steps up from other venerable NYC street food. It certainly cost more, but the food was also of much higher quality and easier on the stomach. The Shack burger and fries were perfectly prepared and delicious, as was the Hopscotch concrete, but my favorite was probably the Vitamin Creamsicle shake. I would drink one every day if I could. My visit to the Shake Shack was well worth the wait (and expense) and I can’t wait for my next visit. I may have to figure out how to replicate the Creamsicle shake at home.

Vitamin Creamsicle Shake

Delightfully smooth, rich, creamy and arguably good for you, depending on how you choose to frame the argument. The Vitamin Creamsicle shake is a stellar creation and worth the expense.

great place to eat, love the burgers, and the concretes.

great place to eat, love the burgers, and the concretes.

GraceSong photo

GraceSong

Long Island City, NY

Lines are always so damn long, but it's worth it if the w...

Lines are always so damn long, but it’s worth it if the weather’s really nice. Good burgers and fries… you don’t feel so greasy after you eat a meal here.

Best burgers.

Pizza in Upper West Side

Two Boots

Pizza in Brownsville

Shake Shack  Restaurant Reviews

Shake Shack is located near the cities of Tribeca, Peck Slip, Canal Street, Trinity, and Financial District.
People found this by searching for: Vitamin Creamsicle Shake Shake Shack, Shake Shack Near Msg, How Much Does Shake Shack Pay Employees, Jmutan, The Shack Restaurant In New York, Shake Shack, Shake Shack New York, and Madison Square Garden Shake Shack.